Friday, June 10, 2016

Be Still


The Bible often speaks about being still.

Be still and know I am God (Psalm 46:10)
Be still and listen  (Matthew 17)
Be still my soul (Isaiah 41:10)
Peace! Be still... and there was a great calm  (Mark 4:39)
The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be still (Exodus 14:14)

But being still (physically and mentally) is difficult for me.


I tend to be energetic, hyperactive, and impulsive.  Basically, you could say I have ADHD.


I just don't sit still very well, or keep my mouth shut, or stay focused on one task.  I have a lot of energy and usually feel the need to be moving.  It is one reason I hate to travel... which involves long periods of sitting.

Saturday I worked at last week's blog post but knew I wouldn't finish it, and was tired of sitting here, so quit for the day.  I just can't be still for too long... I need to move.  I went out to do a little yard work and noticed that the grass seed has germinated.  I just planted it a week ago.  Left photo a few days ago, lower photo taken Saturday.







I finished the rock stack on and around the drainage pipe which I hadn't had time to complete Friday because of the rain.  I also added one wheelbarrow load of mulch to this corner of the flower bed, but got rained out again before I could haul more.  Notice (below) all the green pine needles and grass in the new mulch.

I worked a 2-9 shift, with Wendy, who I let leave early because it was her birthday.  We weren't very busy, so I managed fine on my own.  But, just when I had started my shift, a lady came in to swim, and chatted with me for a minute (as most customers do).  She reported that a bear had been spotted on #17 of Druid (that's where we live) and that baby deer body parts were found in various locations at Druid landing (near #17 tee box).  Be still my heart. 




I immediately suspected it was the little one who has been hanging around out back.  (This photo is a still shot from my video I posted last week.)  I was so sad.  But I just couldn't believe a bear would kill a deer.  I was really melancholy, and for awhile, my joy did not radiate.

At the end of my shift, when Public Safety came to pick up our deposit, I asked him if he had heard of a bear sighting near Druid.  He said no, but did mention hearing crashing in the woods outside the back of his house, which is near #10 (up the hill from #18) of Druid.  But he also said that a bear would not kill a deer.  This re-newed my hope that our little friend was still alive.

Once home, and hanging out on the internet to unwind before bed, Andy texted me to say that there are a couple of coyotes floating around in our area, and that it appears they killed a baby deer near us.  That made more sense, but also solidified my fear of our little friend being gone for good.  Again sadness crept in.

It rained overnight, and off and on, most of Sunday, which gave me the chance to finish last week's blog post.  I went to Church, and was lucky to get in and out of the pavilion without getting rained on.

As soon as I got home the rain started again.  Before sitting down here, I noticed a little deer out back, grabbed my camera and umbrella, and went to see if it was my friendly little visitor.  It froze when it saw me, (seen right) and just as I took a photo, it squealed and ran toward the pond.  It was not the same baby I had seen several times last week.  It was smaller and much more leery of people.  It scampered behind the bush by the pond and I soon realized it had fallen in.  Oh my, I had an adrenaline rush watching it struggle in the water, but kept my distance so as not to frighten it any more.


The water level was quite high, as you can see from this photo that I later took of the creek end of the pond behind us.  The little deer swam across to the other side but could not get out at the steep, rocky ledge (like the lady a few weeks ago).  The current took it towards the dam where it then could get footing and climb out.  It shook off it's soaked body, yelled for it's mom again, and ran across the cart path and into the woods.  I could finally take a breath.  But, that does it, I am going to try to be still, and resist approaching these cute babies to get their photos.  Although, the first one had run up to me.

This lead me to wonder, how does a baby fawn know to be still?
I found the following information off several different websites.
Fawns have little odor, and their natural instinct is the 'freeze behavior' for the first two weeks of their lives, so it is unlikely they will be found by dogs or coyotes (unless tripped over).  This behavior is an adaptation to reduce the chance of detection by predators.  Because the does do have a strong odor, staying with her fawn would give away its hiding place.  The babies need a week or so to get strong enough to keep up with mom.  Until then, they are left alone in the woods.  When a fawn detects danger it will remain perfectly still.  Fawns that live past the first week have a good chance of surviving to adulthood.  Fawns normally don't make any noises except for occasional bleating when in distress.  When the fawn bleats and the doe is unable to see the fawn, she will come running to the fawn's rescue.  The FawnCare.com Website by Diane Solecki gives great information about fawns.  The above photo was taken by her.

By late afternoon the skies finally cleared for a bit so I headed out on a 'road' walk with Maggie.  I parked at Dorchester and covered some new roads I have not yet walked.  Some were more abandoned than I had expected, tall with grass and weeds.  But look (left) at one of the several views of the woodland I had.  Seen below, a view of the mountains from the Dorchester Club House. 

I had brushed ticks from my shirt and pants every time I saw them on me, but by the time we got home, I was 'crawling' with ticks.  I started plucking them off my clothes and body.  I must have removed over 20, but didn't start counting them until the last twelve.  At bedtime, I couldn't help but feel like I had more ticks on me.  Where a few had actually latched on, my skin itched.  I had to make myself be still and not scratch or start searching for more creepy crawlers.



My cell phone camera could not capture the beauty of the light from the setting sun reflecting off the wet rock down by the pond.  This photo was the best I could do.


  





First thing Monday morning, this deer was at the far edge of the pond but Maggie scared her off, barking at her.  The deer seemed to want to come nearer, and was really looking around.  Could this be Mamma looking for her little one, or did she just want to stop in for a lick at the salt block and a little corn?

By mid morning, I went out to work in the yard.  I convinced Joe that we needed to cut two large limbs from the oak tree by the new flower bed, to give the bed more light.  This will also allow Allen's Crape Myrtle to get more sun.  Next we trimmed all the new little lower branches from several trees to keep our view open, and let in more light to the yard.

Cattail are getting tall and taking over 'our' end of the pond.  You can barely see our bench on the rock in this photo, taken from the far side of the pond.



After brush clean up, I only had time to plant one bush in the new flower bed.  While digging a hole, I ran into numerous rocks.  There were several worms too, which reminded me of when our chickens would get right in a hole I was digging, to eat worms and grubs.  Even though they could be a nuisance getting under foot, I miss them.





I needed to quit early and get cleaned up for Mirror Lake Blast.  We met Brian, Linnea, Lori and Andy out on the lawn, where Brian and I had earlier set up six chairs.  Seen right, I with Andy (Brian's brother).  There was another good size crowd so I am glad we got our chairs out early.

In the left photo, is Lori (from Canada) and Linnea (from California).  Ken (who did not come on this trip to FGCC) and Linnea own a retirement home on Lake Canterbury.  The girls are childhood friends, vacationing together this week.  They were lots of fun to hang out with.
The band was Dave and Daphne, who sang older country music.  It was not my favorite, but there was great guitar picking, good voices, and fun entertainment.


Tuesday I went to Chattanooga with Brian, Linnea and Lori.  On the way, we stopped to stretch our legs at an over look rest area.

As soon as we got to town (just after noon), we stopped for lunch at Puckett's.  I always enjoy lime in my beer. 

After lunch, we headed out on a walking tour to see the River Walk and town.  They were setting up for the River Festival that would be starting in a few days.  It looked like it would be a lot of fun.  Brian getting directions.







We took in the sights, 'playing' along the way.





Rather than do any more walking, we opted to stop in for a refreshing Italian Ice before heading home.

It had been a fun day, but I did take a short nap on the way home.


Once home, I needed to get out and move some more so took Maggie on a 90 minute walk.  We ended up on undeveloped roads again, with tall grass.  I brushed off several ticks from my jeans during our walk and removed a dozen more when I got home.  I also had to de-tick Maggie, brushing and picking over a dozen out of her coat.  I may have to put 'walking all FG roads' on hold till fall, since all I have left are the undeveloped ones, which have tick infested tall grass.

It was a pretty Wednesday, so my morning was not spent here at my computer for very long.  I got started on my planting project, and also got Joe's help with moving some mulch.  I worked six hours out in the yard planting bushes in the new flower bed and spreading mulch.








Seen right, the top section of this bed is, for the most part, complete.




Before calling it quits to go to the barn, I dug this hole for the redbud I had seen and planned to dig up.  Notice the large rock in the right side of the hole, the big root I dug around, and the smaller rock I had hit and set aside while digging this hole.  It's no wonder planting has been going so slowly.

At 4:30, I went to Dorchester to switch cars with Joe so I would have room to put the redbud.  Joe went off to his card game and I met Jan and Karen at the barn.  It was a beautiful evening for a ride, although the deer flies and horse flies were annoying.

Jan stops to take a phone call while Boz is checking the woods for deer.

On the way home at 7 pm, I dug up the Red bud... got it home, and immediately into the ground.  It is actually a cluster of four seedlings together, and once larger will be a tree with four trunks.  (You all remember the 4-tree out front on Sentinel Ridge in Cincinnati?)



These photos, showing the new tree and all I had accomplished during the day, were taken the next morning because it was dark by the time I finished planting the redbud.

Seen below, I had turned the large rock on its side to use as a back drop for the redbud.









Thursday I needed to go to town for peat moss, which I had run out of, so I also took care of my big shopping needs.  Halfway through I had lost my list, but could pretty well remember all the things I needed.

There was no time to work in the yard by the time I got everything I bought un-loaded and put away, so I sat and enjoyed a leisurely lunch on the back deck, looking out at the yard.  My two 'friends' had come out to join me, as usual, since they tend to follow me around.  They were hoping for a handout, but never get fed from our plates when we eat, so the 'begging' is not too annoying.






I worked over an eight hour shift because Callan and I ran into big problems when closing.  It didn't help that we had people coming in to use the gym and pool up until 8:45 and also buying food and drinks till 9:00.  We ended up closing, being off on our cash, Preferred card receipts, and gift card totals.  It was 10:12 when I clocked out and 11:30 by the time my brain could be still and let me sleep.

 
Friday was another gorgeous day here on the Cumberland Plateau.  I did morning blogging, worked in the yard watering all the new transplants, and then headed to the barn at noon.  RJ arrived at 1:00 and we horsed around till 3:30. 








I started RJ off on Amiga (video) but later put him on one of the Livery horses that is calmer and easier for a beginner to ride.  As we came and went from the barn to the pony pen, we watched this mural unfold that Ambrie and Michelle were painting.
 
RJ did great with Levi, and really liked this horse and riding western pleasure.  Seen right, RJ gets a little lesson on ground work with a horse, and is leading Levi to the stall.  Levi worked hard and did very well.


I refueled with an ice cream bar when I got home.  As usual, Stevie got to lick the stick.

The afternoon and evening was spent out in the yard until 9 pm.  Joe had brought me more dirt, but I couldn't get him to haul any more mulch.  He did grill sausage and corn on the cob though, so I took a dinner break.



I unloaded all the containers of top soil, planted a few more bushes, dug holes for the last three, and mulched around all of it. 








Seen below, I set the black pots in place to mark where I wanted to put a few more plants, as I planned the rest of the bed.  Finally, I gave everything a good watering.



As you can also see, I am almost done with this garden.


I could not stay awake after my shower, so put off finishing this blog post until later.  As soon as I got still, (when I hit the bed) I fell right to sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment