Friday, October 30, 2020

Big Surprise

Life is full of surprises, and will surprise you when you least expect it.  Most of us love good surprises, and the best are those that are totally unexpected.  This week started with an exciting, fun, unexpected, big surprise.  "The moments of happiness we enjoy take us by surprise. It is not that we seize them, but that they seize us."   Ashley Montagu



Saturday 10/24 - It was a foggy morning due to a big drop in temperature and rain overnight.  We didn’t even hang around long enough to watch the fog lift but were on the road to Nashville shortly after 8:00.  Patty was going to come with us, but woke up feeling bad.  She was pretty sure it was just allergies, but didn't want to take any chances.


The fog and colors made a pretty scene down back.




We took Maggie with us, and as usual, she was not a fan of the car ride there.  I had been giving her natural, calming medication, which I think helped because she was not panting profusely or shaking, which she usually does.


We arrived at Courtney’s before 10:30.  Both her cats retreated to the upstairs.  Squeaky, the braver of the two, peeking around the wall of the stairs, became bolder and then later, kind of put Maggie in her place.


We hung out at Courtney's for a while, trying to decide on lunch and when to go to Dan and Val’s.  We watched as Squeaky was getting used to the idea of a dog in his house.  Courtney showed us some cat tricks with Squeaky.  Maggie had been instructed to watch from her bed.  I think she was more interested in the treats than the cat.




We got to Dan and Val's by 1:00 and he and Tango greeted us out on the drive.  I wanted the dogs to get re-acquainted before we went inside. 


Once inside with Maggie and her bed, the dogs eventually settled down there.  The festivities soon began, with a little bit of beer drinking and lots of snacking as food prep for an early dinner was underway.  Ricardo did his awesome grilling as usual.


At some point before dinner, Joe and I were presented with a big surprise.


I had no idea what was in the gift box and when I saw the cute little onesie, it wasn’t until I read Grandma and Grandpa April 2021 that it clicked.  It was a surprise for Courtney too, who was watching from beside me.  This (video) captures the magical, surprise moment.  

Dan and Val are due to have this baby the same month as his and Joe's birthday.  It is very exciting news, and a whole new feeling washed over me.  I can’t really explain it... miraculous, humbling, gratifying, wonderful... a whole new perspective on life.


Daniel and Valencia are going to be such wonderful parents!



We all ate quite well, except maybe Val who is still experiencing some sickness from early pregnancy.  She jokingly commented that this is going to be an American baby because she can no longer tolerate spicy food, heavy food, and all that good cuisine she loves so much.



We went for a short walk after dinner for the dogs, and to look at Halloween decorations.  I wanted to see the house with the eyes I had remembered from the year before.  Yep, there it was, and I think the eyes are still quite creepy on this house. 





Then we settled in to Dan and Val's very cozy, plush, sectional up in their game room.  We watched the new (2020) movie, Mulan.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.




Joe, Courtney, Maggie, and I arrived back at Courtney's about 8:30.  There was more chatting and reflection of the day, as we sat in our jammies in front of a cozy, warm fire.  I thought about the miracle unfolding and developing within Valencia.  It wasn’t until 10 pm that I was tired enough to sleep.



Sunday 10/25 - Up earlier than Joe and Courtney, I enjoyed my tea and some computer time.  Once Joe and Courtney were up, we made decisions about lunch and then got busy with some cleaning while also just hanging out.  Joe and Courtney made a trip to the store for groceries and furnace filters and to pick up carry out hibachi grill for lunch.  I stayed home to supervise cats and dog, do a little weeding, and finish up the vacuuming. 

Lunch was quite tasty and I made a pig of myself like I had the night before at Dan and Val’s.  Alas, we needed to hit the road for home.  After walking the dog and packing up the car we said our goodbyes and headed home to Fairfield Glade.


While motoring down the road, Joe and I discussed and reflected on our lives, and our children.  I think I can say for him as well as myself, we are both very blessed, proud, and sometimes concerned parents.  Knowing I’m going to become a grandmother has totally changed my outlook on living, hope for the future, and view of life.


It is always good to get home.  The cats were glad to see us.  Babe on the porch playing around the cat tent.

 
Everything was unloaded, unpacked, and put away.  I decided to hang this cute little onesie on our bedroom wall for now.



Not having exercised for two days, after the pets were fed, I went on a long (almost two hour) walk with Maggie.  We went up the section of Westchester that is still closed, and then down Peavine which is now paved.  I actually continued with the dog all the way down Peavine (on the sidewalk) going west towards Food City, until I got way beyond Weigel's.  It was 7pm and pitch dark when we arrived home. 





Monday 10/26 - I had taken this photo of our neighbor's pretty red maple at the corner of Snead and Lakeview on our walk the night before.  I felt like it should be a day of rest since we were on the go much of the day Sunday.

Becoming a grandmother was starting to sink in.  A few times during the day I was called Granny and Grandma.  LOL  Love my friends.

It took all my motivation to get me to the gym and I had a slow-moving, easy workout.  But it was better than nothing.

I had a great big salad (left over from the weekend) for lunch and then went to the barn.


I did lots of ground work with Amiga, getting her ready for a trailer loading lesson the following day.  I didn't want any surprises to her or from her.


We worked in the pony pen and I used a bag on a stick which she was very reactive to.  So then I tried tying a bright cloth to it instead and she didn't really react at all.  I was trying to simulate a flag that Christie might be using in the trailering lesson.

I had tied white strips to the wire fence that is only about 25 to 30 feet behind the trailer.  Then I walked Amiga back there to see it.  (I ride her behind and around the trailers regularly.)   She had part of her grain for 'dinner' and then I rode bareback for a bit.  We went in the arena across the street and around the gardens.  On the way back, I let her graze behind the trailer.

 
I worked on this blog post in the evening since I had gotten behind over the weekend.

 

This photo, taken 10/26 here in the Glade by Dan Oakleaf, shows how beautiful the trees were.


Tuesday 10/27 - The day of reckoning, the moment of truth, would there be any big surprises with the trailer lesson after lunch?  It had been over a year since I had Amiga on the trailer, and I had no idea what to expect.  This Facebook photo gave many of us a laugh last week.  It is soooo Amiga and I.  I hired Christie to work with us so we could get started on trailer loading, on the right foot so to speak.


My two hours at the gym were very productive, funneling my nervous energy into my workout.  I increased some reps or weights on many of the machines and was feeling really strong for a change.  I did skip my stretch at the end due to time.


I had an hour to change, eat lunch, walk the dog, and head back out the door to go to the barn for the trailer lesson.


I know I talked about burs last week, but had to included this photo I took while walking the mare pasture to get Amiga.  These burs were larger than golf balls! 

 
I got Amiga cleaned up, fly sprayed, and put on her leg wraps, not knowing how hard we would have to drive her to get her to load.  Then I did more ground work out in the pony pen.  

 
I let Amiga chill for fifteen minutes and I tried to do the same thing.  When Christie arrived at 2:00, we chatted, talked loading strategy, and then walked Amiga down to the trailer. 
 


When we got to the back of the trailer, I couldn't believe my eyes.  Amiga walked calmly, right onto the trailer, without hesitation.  (I guess all the work from 1½ years ago stuck with her.)  However, she only stood on the trailer several seconds before deciding to back off.  But, surprise, surprise... she came off relatively slowly, not shooting out as usual.  Our lesson was not over yet.  Christie worked with Amiga until my little mare was stepping slowly, and only when asked, to back off and get back on the trailer.  Sometimes it was just one step back and then one step forward, as Christie got Amiga to move one foot at a time, in the correct direction, when asked.

Christie then had me first load Cash so I could get the hang of loading a very cooperative horse, and boost my confidence.  Cash gets on and backs off so slowly.  Then it was time for me to work with Amiga.  She did great and did not frighten me with crazed behavior at all.  Jan and Patty hung out for part of the time, watching us.

Once we started working with Amiga putting the butt bar up, she wanted to rush back off the trailer.  She slammed into it several times. 


Christie, in her very relaxed, calm manner, worked with Amiga on this butt bar issue for quite awhile until Amiga decided to relax and listen.  She had her jaw clenched so tight and had stopped eating hay, so we offered grain, which did the trick.  It got Amiga chewing and thinking... which then resulted in her listening and not overreacting. 

Our trailer loading session ended on a good note, and much sooner than I had expected it would.  I need to keep visualizing this in a positive way, rather than fearing what could go wrong.

I did a little leaf removal from the creek down back but was thankful it got dark and I had to quit after an hour.  I was physically and mentally ready to call it a day.

Wednesday 10/28 - The rain started up before midnight and kept it up all night and all day.  There were very few breaks in the rain, in which to walk the dog.

The window salesman came at 10 am and we committed to buying eight windows for the living room wall (made the down payment).  They will not start installation until January.  Something else I am now dreading.

Joe helped me saw this tire apart.  Then I made a little reinforcing wooden stick and painted it. 

Joe and I went to the gym together.  I did the elliptical for 40 minutes and then stretched.  Then we hit the Kroger pharmacy in the Village Mall for our vaccine appointments.  Joe got his flu shot and I got the second of my shingles shot.  I was dreading feeling bad like I had after the first shot eleven weeks ago.


Once home, Joe helped me hang the tire on the wall.  This IS the LAST of the shelving, climbing apparatus I will be installing.  The cattery / sun room is complete.


Not surprising, we had some difficulties getting the tire up.  I was trying to keep it looking round.  We had to reset a few screws, but we got the tire hung.  The wooden stick supports the top of the tire (so it doesn't bend downward) if the cats decide to climb up on top of it. 


Joe was off to play poker.  I painted the five washers and screw heads (holding the tire up) black so they would blend in with the tire.  I also painted the two boo boo screw holes in the wall gray.  Once all tools were put away, and dinner was had by the pets and I, I sat out here at my computer and watched to see what the cats would do.  There was not much interest in the tire.  Whether the shelves are used or not, I consider them wall art.  LOL


I went to bed at 8:30, starting to feel crummy as the vaccine was recognized and attacked by my immune system.  The injection site at my arm hurt and my whole body was starting to ache. 

Thursday 10/29 - Here is a look in natural light, at the last tire added to the far right on the wall.


I questioned whether the two shingles shots were worth it, I was feeling so bad.  I was sick with flu like symptoms for two days the first time, so it was no big surprise to feel bad again.  I didn't recall the nausea, dizziness, and horrible headache the first time.  But like before, was hit with chills, fever, and aches all over, all night long.

I woke up at 5 AM, took another Tylenol and had a few crackers, and went back to bed.

My day started at 7 AM, and consisted of time at my computer, taking two naps back in bed, lying on the couch reading and napping, lying on the porch swing reading and napping, and just wishing I would start feeling better.

It was a very rainy morning.



It stopped raining earlier than predicted and ended up being a pretty afternoon.  But I never left the house except to check the rain gauge.  We had gotten six inches.


This is a view out my sun room windows from where I was laying on the couch.

The cats interfere with my reading as they try to get on my lap. 


I made cream of wheat for Joe and I.  He was a little under the weather because of his flu shot and it was the comfort food we wanted.  I went to bed early.



Friday 10/30 - When I got up at 5:30, I was pleasantly surprised to be feeling so much better.  I couldn’t believe it stayed dark until nearly 7am.  The temperature had dropped 30 degrees so I dug out a warmer coat to walk the dog.

I had a very productive workout at the gym for two hours.

After a big hearty salad for a late lunch, I bundled up and went to the barn.  The 'boys' had just come in for their grain.  Here is a photo of Zorro chowing down.  Boz and Chester were seeking shelter from the cold, napping in the hay.




I got the trailer ready for more loading practice, and once Amiga came in and had ⅓ of her grain, I cleaned her up and put on her leg wraps, and did a little ground work before leading her to the trailer. 
The trailer loading didn't go as well as I had hoped.  Amiga went right in, following me, but then started backing out right away.  I followed her and she went all the way out.  I proceeded, several times, to try to get her to stay on the trailer and eat hay but she was not interested in the hay and kept backing right off. 

I was trying not to hold Amiga back when she tried backing off the trailer, but wanted her to get the idea that I didn’t want her backing off.   I did start to get a little frustrated and then, at one point Amiga got away from me when backing off the trailer and I didn't catch her until almost back to the barn.  So I took her in, saddled her up, and rode her for a while.  I was planning to ride a little anyway and it seemed like a good time.  If she didn't want to do trailer loading, she could take me for a ride.

Scrappy and Kitty (the darker barn cat) wanting to be fed.

Once un-tacked, I took Amiga back out to the trailer.  I had taken the breast bar down and had the grain bucket, so things went much better, I think because I could stay in closer contact with her and she was enjoying the grain.  Amiga was willing to stand there and eat.  But most of the time when I asked her to step back with the intention of one step back one step forward, like Christie had me doing, Amiga just wanted to back most of the way off, or all of the way off the trailer.  I was at least able to quit on a positive note. 
The almost full moon was rising while I was finishing up in the barn and tack room.

No comments:

Post a Comment