Friday, October 2, 2020

Respect All

Receiving respect from others is important because it helps us to feel safe to freely express ourselves.  In turn though, we must be respectful.  Granted, we all don't see things alike, or always agree with each other, but we still need to respect each other.  Respect in our relationships is especially important, to build feelings of trust, safety, and well being.

I agree with teacher friend Melissa Ann who penned this about disagreements between two sides:
"Mutual demonetization of both sides is part of the problem right now.  It is okay to disagree, and healthy to do so, but it is important to be respectful in the process, including language, tone, and bodily expression.  Somehow we have lost sight of this.  Whether you are disagreeing about the presidential election, the next supreme court justice, or whether schools should be open, remember that this person is a human being, whose experiences have led them to their own convictions, just like you.  Be curious about what has led them to their beliefs, as well as your own, and be respectful of that as you engage".

There are so many beings deserving our respect: God, all races, religions, and genders, yourself, your elders, your community, your parents, all creatures, the law, the flag, the environment, other's point of view, etc.  

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, and correcting his opponents with gentleness. 
(2 Timothy 2:24+25) 

When you think of your self less, you become selfless.




 
Saturday 9/26 - When Monita saw Babe up on the shelves playing, she went up to join in, although, she was being a tad bit intimidating, rather than respectful of Babe's play time and space (video).






After Monita left, Babe continued to explore.  Mama Styx is below her in this photo.  I am not sure what Babe was looking for in the tire shelf, but has clearly out-grown it.









I had had another bad night in terms of sleep and was feeling cold, tired, and un-energetic, and proceeded to waste most of the day.


Finally about 2:00 I went outside, and discovered that it was warmer outside than in the house.  I got out all my fall decorations and started putting them up, until time to go to the barn, to check on Gov and take Amiga for a ride.

Jan was there, so we decided to head out on the trail together.  We worked in the little Standing Tall arena first and then rode into the winter pasture/bean field and on part of the long trail.
 
Amiga willingly followed Cash, but balked when I took her around a loop in a different direction.  Once we met back up with Jan and Cash, it was time for some camera wars.

Gov was doing well, I treated Amiga's scratches, and was home by 6:30.

I had a salad for dinner and 30 minutes later, popcorn for an evening snack before an early 8:30 bed time.


Sunday 9/27 - The melatonin taken the night before had me slumbering until 7am.  This is only the second time I have tried the melatonin, and like the sleep aid pills, it leaves me kind of groggy the following day.


Mid-morning Joe and I headed to Cumberland State Park to hike the Pioneer Long Trail (2½ miles).
Above is a photo of the back side of the dam, where we thought the trail started.

There was some confusion as to where the trail head was and with help from Patty (texting us) we realized we had to go to a different location.



Finally on the trail, we enjoyed a beautiful hike.  The weather was perfect.  Maggie had a blast and enjoyed getting into the creek we hiked along the whole route.


Once finished with the hike, we drove back to the park and had a nice lunch outside at their restaurant.











At feeding time at the barn, I went to check on Gov, ride, and then treat Amiga.

  
I rode Amiga back to the bean field.  She only hesitated a few times, and a tap or two on her rear end was all it took to get her to continue forward.









I didn't ride long because it was late in the day and I wanted to reward Amiga for being much more willing to go than in the past.

After a beer and popcorn for dinner here at my computer, I read for 90 minutes in bed, my book has gotten really good.  But once Joe came to bed, out of respect for him, I turned off the lights.

Monday 9/28 - Mama Styx on the porch swing with me during the afternoon rain.  I had slept fitfully the night before, having lots of strange dreams and worrying while awake between them.  There were dreams of 1- snakes (Polly had found a baby copperhead in the wash rack shortly after Amiga and I left there Sunday afternoon), 2- mold, mildew and house problems (worrying about us and Courtney with this issue), 3- Amiga trailering, having lameness issues, not wanting to go down the trail, and being too fat (I need to get her back to loading, I am concerned she is not being trimmed correctly, and I worry about her weight), 4- having an epic fail at the gym (I plan to start back up working out the first of October), 5- and I think I may have had some dreams about my novel and about the cats, or they had woken me up at least a few times.

I had Amiga saddled and was heading out on the trail by 11:00.  She was 'sticky' at a few spots, but a tap on the butt with my crop did the trick to get her moving forward.  They were harvesting more beans in the largest field and bush-hogging what was left from where they had harvested in the three smaller fields. 







Amiga passed by noisy machinery very well and we went right into the woods to take the long trail.  I got off to clear some limbs and rocks from the connecting trail.  The hill down to Daddy's Creek was a muddy mess, which we took very slowly, yet still did some sliding.


The ride along the creek is always beautiful.  We left the main trail to go on part of the Holly Trail (video) which Amiga at first protested doing.  She keeps her eyes and ears on me and on the trail.

While riding, I got a call from Nancy, telling me the pool was closing two days early for the season.  I felt bad for those who had planned a 'last day' party on Wednesday.

On my way home from the barn, I decided to drop in on those who were 'closing out' the pool for the day (and season).  And I decided to join in on the party, and had a beer with them. 








This is what the other end of the pool looked liked.  It is so sad to see the summer and pool season come to an end, although I like the idea of having more free time.


After a big lunch (leftovers from the park restaurant) I went down to the dam and spillway to see what workers had been doing.  It looks like they are finally repairing the two leaks under the concrete spillway. 






 


This has been needed for over a year now.  The other thing that needs doing, is dredging the pond again. 



Look how much it has filled in with silt and vegetation down at our end.  This pond situation is another thing I sometimes lose sleep over.







It started to sprinkle shortly after I came in.  I had already decided against trying to get anything done outside, and my motivation to do housework was non-existent.  So I laid on the porch swing to read.  And then the rains came harder (video). 

Tuesday 9/29 - I did an early morning shopping trip from 8-10:30.  Once home I got food and supplies unloaded and stowed away, and then had an early lunch.

Just after noon Joe, Maggie, and I went up the Library Trail and walked the front nine of Druid.  This is a type of coral fungus we saw in the woods.  Some white coral mushroom are poisonous.



 

Druid was closed for the week because they are aerating the greens, so we could walk it since there were no golfers.  However, there was a lot of 'traffic' with workers in golf carts, tractors hauling sand, and other equipment.





We walked from #9 to #1.  The first photo is a bridge near #6.  And this second photo is looking down #4 fairway.  The last photo is of #18, covered with sand.  We went down the 18th fairway hill to home.

 



It was only 54° out, but I got so warm going up one long hill, I had to take my jacket off for awhile.







The workers did not get this concrete work done until much later in the day.  I was fixing pork roast, sweet potatoes, onions and green beans for dinner when I noticed them.  So I went out to chat and get a photo.  They had poured 7 yards of concrete, hauling it with the tractor bucket.  The guy on the right was cleaning his phone which he had dropped into the wet cement. 

Four does came by looking for corn, so I took some down back, a little earlier than usual.














The pork tenderloin ended up being a little overcooked, but everything was quite tasty, if I don't say so myself. 

I finished my John Grisham book by 8:30, while sitting in front of a warm fire with several fur babies. 













Mama Styx and Babe had been grooming each other as usual, but then it broke out into a pretty rough fight and game of chase.


Once in bed, I started a book Brian lent me, The Hidden Face of God by Gerald Schroeder.  It is going to be very slow going because the author uses complex, difficult, and sesquipedalian words and I have to read sentences more than once to understand them.

Wednesday 9/30 - I took my time getting outside because I am still trying to get acclimated to this colder weather.  When I went on a second walk later in the morning, I checked out the concrete work at the spillway.  It looked extensive and thorough, however upon closer inspection, I could see that water was still leaking out of the pond underneath all of the concrete.  You can see the water in this second photo, right were the mud ends at the grass. 


The pond water level should be higher with the excess water flowing down this concrete spillway.

I did three loads of laundry, trimmed my nails and all the cat's claws, and switched out hot summer clothing for cold winter wear in my closet.  I walked with Maggie to the library and back to check out a new book.  Then I farted around (not literally) in the yard, garage, and with Halloween decorations.  We had a window man come and basically say calking will get us through the winter, but we need to rebuild the back wall because water has gotten in behind the windows and the frames are rotting.  😢 Not good news. 

Patty on Daisy.  I ended the day going on a 'moonlight' ride with Patty and Karen.  We got started plenty early and had lots of time to kill before the moon would be up.


Karen on Levi, and Cheryl waiting for the vet.  Her horse Velvet was acting sick.









We started out riding to the old bean field out back.  The sun was setting, as you can see it hitting the barn.  Polly was out on Rio and we met up with her.













Back at the barn with more time to kill, we then headed down the trail the way they go on the livery trail rides.  None of our horses really wanted to do this, but they were good sports and did as asked.  It was getting dark in the woods by the time we had gone to the power lines and were coming back.  But the moon still was not up. 

We rode back into the barn to wait a little longer.  Dr. Perry had already come and gone.  He said Velvet probably had gas colic.  He had given her a shot of Banamine and she seemed to be feeling much better.  Patty decided she had had a long day working at the barn, as had Daisy (going out on two trail rides) so she un-tacked her.  Karen peeked back outside, and the moon was rising.  So we both rode into the front yard to get a look (and take photos).






 

The yard was well lit with security lights so we never were really in the moonlight.  But the moon was beautiful and it was a pretty evening.  I did start to get cold though. 

Patty took these last two photos, about the same time, but with different camera lighting to see Karen and I and then to see the moon.















Thursday 10/1 - Wow, can't believe we are rolling into October already.  Too much time was spent here trying to get photos positioned on this blog post.  Then, I finally went to the gym, for the first time since March.  My forehead temperature was 94.6 and the lady re-took it. getting the same result.  I told her I was freezing, just can't warm up in this crisp weather.  My body weight was exactly the same as it had been back in March, but things are definitely distributed differently.  Instead of muscle mass I had been building for the past two years, I now had fluff.  I reduced all my machine weights by about 20% (from what I could remember) and I only did 10 - 15 repetitions on most pieces of equipment.  My stretch at the end was less because I have forgotten some of  the good ones I used to do.  It will be slow to get back into the routine of it all.  I had the attendant take my temperature again as I was leaving, and it was 97.4, what it usually is when I took it at the start of each shift at the pool.

I continued fall decorating outside, after lunch and an hour in the sun on the deck reading my new Patricia Cornwell mystery.










The cats are always interested in my activities and feel the need to inspect anything new in their environment.


Joe had mowed the lawn the day before and I felt it needed watering where the new grass had been slightly disturbed by mower tires.  I am pleased with how well it has grown in though.








I noticed something (probably deer) had eaten most of the blooms off this pot of mums.  So after watering all my flowers, I also sprayed all the stuff the deer like to eat, with 'Deer off.'







The day was ended with another dinner at Beef and Barrel.  Patty joined Joe, Brian, Joann, and I.  Little did we know, but it was Patty's Birthday, which I discovered a day late.

This photo is of Leslie (a regular who sings quite well) and Terry finding a song to do together before the night of karaoke began.  Dinner was good, and as usual, Joann and I enjoyed lots of dancing.

Friday 10/2 - I was feeling pretty sore when I got out of bed.  But it was a welcomed discomfort.

A mid-morning ride had me back across the bean field and on part of the long trail.  It was another perfect day to ride, 61°, slight breeze, no flies, and warm sunshine.  Amiga and I were out for over 90 minutes.

These last two photos are on the little side trail I take that is very over grown.  Amiga is good at bushwhacking. 














When we came back out into the bean fields, I rode in the field they were at work harvesting.  I took Amiga down a long row where they had recently harvested.  The footing was great, not too hard not too soft.  So I cantered her all the way back the whole length of that field.  She was moving out pretty quickly but felt like she was under control.  We then went along the edge of all four fields.






Once back at the barn, I got Amiga's scratches and new face sores cared for and then had her stand in the cross ties about 10 minutes while I was in the office chatting with Patty and Judy (the work staff for the day).  It is good for our horses to practice patience, and Amiga got an apple for standing quietly the whole time.  As Judy was heading out to guide a trail ride, I headed home.


I had planned to do yard work, but by the time I finished a late lunch, it was 3pm and I was out of gas.  I had gotten cold when the wind had picked up at the end of my ride, and with sore muscles, decided on a long, hot, shower.








After reading for an hour and then feeding the dog and cats, I took Maggie on a three mile walk.  We went past the amphitheater and then to look at Peavine construction.  They are about ready to blacktop it.


Notice there is no longer the green way (median) strip down the middle of the road.  Looking up Catoosa Boulevard from the intersection, you can see they have kept its median.














We walked partway down Westchester from the intersection at Peavine and on both sides of the road there were all these gravel off shoots.  They looked like possible future driveways, although they are maybe to slow water runoff down.


It was nearly dark by the time we got home.  Joe was gone, to his first night back at the local table to play poker.













I did some finishing touches on my Halloween decorations and then took photos.


Our Police Chief  had commented in this week's paper: "The long lasting pandemic, the civil unrest in our American Cities, and the highly contested election has a lot of us on edge.  I remind everyone to take a moment and exercise his or her mind to relieve stress.  (which can help us be more respectful of others)  There are many ways to do so, especially by spending time outdoors during the crisp cool upcoming fall."
He went on to suggest things like read a good book, work on a puzzle together with a loved one, or rescue a cat or dog from our local shelter to liven up what otherwise might be a boring fall and winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment