Friday, December 11, 2020

Tangled Tinsel

 



















Tangled Tinsel, lights, garland, extension cords, ribbon, etc. 
You name it, when things get tangled, we can get frustrated. 
Let's face it, with Christmas coming, this can sometimes be the most stressful time of the year.  There is so much to do.  The tree is my top priority, followed by other decorations, presents bought and wrapped (even shipped), and preparations for food, drink and other good-cheer.

Why is the first paragraph indented, and why is this big gap here in my Blog?  I have tried everything to eliminate it.  What in the world is the problem?  I am about to lose it I am so frustrated!
Don’t get your tinsel in a tangle! This is one of many expressions used to tell
someone to calm down (don’t get upset or anxious) with a holiday flair!  It is a silly phrase used around Christmastime.  But one worth considering. 

To minimize stress this holiday season - remember the 'reason for the season', plan ahead, accept the inevitable, and go with the flow.

Tangled In Tinsel!

I think by cat standards, getting tangled in tinsel, threads, cords, streamers, what have you; is a good thing.  LOL  

Like with my cats, I hope for you, this holiday season is filled with fun.  I know it can seem devastating to not be able to do the normal Christmas traditions and be with extended family and friends.  Making future plans can make everyone feel better.  Just knowing we have the condos on Longboat Key reserved for next year gives us 'Sidensticks' something to look forward to.  Be sure to plan a few 'zoom' meetings over the holidays.  And there can also be the feel-good factor of brightening up someone else’s mood (in any little way) during these dark times.


Saturday 12/5 - The date marked less than three weeks until Christmas!  I was so looking forward to having immediate family here. 

I spent the morning at my computer finishing and posting last week's blog and playing games on my computer.  I was trying to muster the energy to get up and pull out the last box of decorations.  I had a slight headache and was low on energy.  Going to the gym was out of the question.  I did reposition several tree ornaments once the sun was shining in and I could see them in a different light.  Now for the skirt and packages underneath.



I had a big lunch, but that did not help my headache, so I laid and read in the sun, and took a nap.  All my pets were doing likewise; not the reading, but the napping.  Mama Styx was in the sun room, and Stevie by some packing wrap in the living room.

A little later, as the sun's warm rays slowly crossed the room, Mama Styx moved onto the steps where Maggie was napping right beside me.  You can see my book and pillow by Maggie's nose.


 

 


The headache was a little better, but not the lethargy.  Often, in order to get your energy up, you just have to get going.  So I took Maggie for a nice long walk.  I had Joe drop us off at Mirror Lake.  The new amphitheater had boards spread out that I could see they were in the process of staining.  We stopped in at the post office to drop off the last few Christmas Cards that I had to add the family letter to, after I had made more copies.  And then we headed for home. 

This is the rock formation on Library Trail that the hiking path goes through.

Maggie is a good girl, sitting patiently while I go back down the trail to get her photo (among the rocks) from the distance.

Finally, I made myself open the last bin of decorations, and I put up garland, lights, etc in the kitchen, dinning room, and sun room.  Rather than Christmas music, I was watching/listening to the Hawkeyes beat Illinois.  And I now have all the big stuff (major things) decorated.  There are still lots of finishing touches I want to do though.  Here is the sun room.

Joe and I finished the last two episodes of season 2 of Virgin River.  There were several cliff hangers.  I hope there will be a season 3.  It was a 10pm (late) bedtime.

Sunday 12/6 - I wasn't out of bed until 6:30, but no headache.  I finally had success at the Jewel game on the advent calendar, scoring 2412 points.  

I proceeded to spend the whole morning here (eventually stopping for lunch at 12:45) getting this new blog started.  I often take awhile developing my weekly theme.  And Babe gave me some fun photos to match the idea of tangling in tinsel. 



I had no desire to change out of my PJ's and go outside, but made myself do it, because it was just too nice of a day out, and cold temperatures were returning.

I always love hanging out at the barn.  Other equestrians are usually around, as well as a few employees.  This time of year the mingling at the barn starts to dwindle.  There were however nearly a dozen of us there.

I rode out on my own to do some trimming along the edge of the trail.  Amiga did great, stopping each time, standing still, and not flinching when little twigs came down on her head.  Coming back towards the barn, I met up with Jan and Babs and joined them for a ride in the old bean fields by the ghost town.

I did start feeling cold before concluding the ride at 4pm.  Hot shower, hot soup, and sitting in front of the space heater by my computer warmed me back up.

Monday 12/7 - The cold had returned, with the temperature actually dropping throughout the day.  Because the sun never came out from behind the clouds, our house never seemed to warm up.  I put this Christmas blanket under the tree, planning to put gifts next.  However, I didn't have the heart to move Mama Styx out of the way.  Later in the day Stevie was napping under the tree, so I waited on the gifts.  The cats really like the soft blanket.

After two hours at the gym, I hit Food City before returning home.  Not having lunch, I started dinner at 2:30.  While the frozen lasagna baked, I messed around with decorations and pets.

Maggie was being a good sport.  I guess I actually took this earlier in the day, before the blanket was put under the tree. 


















I also noticed a herd of seven doe out back while in the kitchen doing food prep.  I couldn't get them all in one photo.

We ate dinner at 3:30 and then started a long movie, 'Inglorious Bastards' a 1978 Italian Spaghetti war and action film,
based on a true story.  I enjoyed many funny lines, but it was a bit too gory for me.  I had time for computer and reading before bed.

Tuesday 12/8 - I got all (4) of my presents wrapped and under the tree.  Most of what you see in this photo are decorative gift boxes (all empty) that add to the festive look under the tree.

I also added more decorations that I don't usually do.  I put up the garland and re-used cloth gift bags I have collected, mostly from Cathy.  Babe decided she needed to help (video).  I never should have engaged in play with her when she attacked the garland.



Since hanging the garland Babe had been playing with, she kept getting up on the railing and removing sections from the nails.  After several 'repairs' I used twist ties to firmly attach garland to each nail.



I had a 2pm appointment to give blood.  I knew the shingles vaccine would not be a problem now, but totally forgot about travel out of the country (our last two cruises in 2019 & 20).  With the aid of fellow travelers, I got the names of the eight  countries we had visited, and was good to give blood.

This was followed by a little more shopping, the last of it (Santa gifts) for Christmas.

On the way home, I got my tinsel in a tangle.

When I reached the Glade about 5pm, somebody (an annoying driver) pulled out of their driveway right in front of me.  There were no cars in sight behind me and I had to break fairly hard to avoid running into this idiot.  I know they had to have seen my car lights, so one would think they were in a hurry because they didn’t wait for me to pass, but no.  They proceeded to go down Lakeview, at only 25 mph, 5 miles under the speed limit.  And then when they got to the stop sign at Snead, they waited for an oncoming car to reach the intersection, come to a complete stop, and then go through the crossing. 

Finally, this annoying driver proceeded through the intersection.  They were clearly in no hurry so I don’t understand why they pulled out in front of me when there was plenty of room to go after I passed, and it would have been much safer.  I know, I shouldn't let it get my tinsel in a tangle.

Joe had bought carry out chicken dinners which we enjoyed and I was so thankful for. 

I had removed the tape and bandage from my arm in the process of putting on my pajamas.  But then when I was organizing new purchases in the garage and moving 35 lbs containers of cat litter, I must’ve aggravated the needle site and it started bleeding.  Never has this happen before, but it was easy enough to stop.

Wednesday 12/9 - I don't know where the morning went, but spent a fair amount of time finishing up the wrapping.  Joe had a few packages he wanted help with and I decided to buy some Santa gifts the day before.  So I wrapped them and some of the stocking stuffers. 


This ornament came in the mail.  It was to Britney from an ornament exchange she participated in.  I hung it on the tree in addition to some others I had just gotten at a few thrift stores. 

I got to the barn at 1:30, enjoyed chatting with several of the ladies, and then got Amiga.  This black cat is Fang, who loves people and hugs.  He climbed up on Jan's back when she bent over to put on her spurs.  Silly boy.



It was 50°, a tad chilly for me, but still warm enough to have an enjoyable ride.  Jan and I rode across the street in the arena and then did a short trail ride before doing some cantering work in the big bean field.  The first time I took off on Amiga, her  canter was extremely rough.  Jan said it looked like she was cross firing, where the hind leg was on the opposite lead as the front leg.  It is also called "disunited canter."  So, I did several more cantering runs, trying to get Amiga to give me a smooth ride.  She kept getting better and I quit after a real nice, smooth go at it.


I got home after dark.  Joe had taken a neighbor to a Dr's appointment and ended up needing to take him to the ER.

Joe didn't get home, after dropping the neighbor's wife off back at her house, until after 7pm.  Our sick neighbor needed to be hospitalized, but the nearest hospital with room was in Nashville.  The hospital transported him sometime during the night once they found him an opening.

These are scary times with hospitals to capacity because of Covid.  Prayer is so much more effective than getting your tinsel in a tangle.


Thursday 12/10 - I enjoyed another pretty sunrise, getting a photo of it over the pond while dispensing the can of cracked corn on the rocks down back.

It was to be a beautiful day.  I wished I had made it to the gym the previous day so I would have more time to ride. 

I rushed through my workout and eventually got to the barn just after 1:00.

Boz enjoying the sun as I brought Amiga into the barn.  He had been laying flat out but was a little worried about my horse when we got close enough to take a photo with both in it.


There was work being done over at the garden so Amiga and I headed over there while Jan was tacking up.  Soon she and Cash joined us.  We like to expose our horses to new, and sometimes scary things.



I got this photo off of this (video) which posted sideways on Facebook.  We rode around both gardens, getting our horses as close to the two tractors as we dared, but also trying to stay out of the way.  Cash and Amiga both got a little nervous at times, but did very well under the pressure.


Then we went to the arena to practice some things, including cantering.  We were trying to analyze exactly what Amiga was doing when she got rough at the canter.



I enjoy Amiga's spirit and just about always have fun riding her.  However, a smoother canter and well behaved horse are always preferred.  Here is one of the three (videos) Jan took.  All the photos in the arena were taken off various videos.


Sorry, I kind of got carried away here with the photos of us.  In the two below, I am telling Amiga woo because she was going a little too fast.  She has troubles staying smooth at a slow canter because she starts to gait with her back legs.





















This is not in good focus because it is greatly enlarged, but I love the sunlight shining through Amiga's mane.




As you can see from my smile in the photo below, I am having a very enjoyable time. 

Jan and I rode back to the barn where all of the horses were in eating.  By now, Amiga was ready to do the same.  However, we continued our ride in the mare pasture which was empty.  I really had my hands full with Amiga who was acting up; head strong, rushing, turning towards the barn, and even crow hopping.  I never intentionally give-in to Amiga, but she continues to try to get her way once she has her mind set on something. 

I did trailer loading practice after un-tacking, and Amiga did great.  I love ending on a positive note.

It was a quiet evening at home with Joe in the Mancave watching football and me here at my computer.


Friday 12/11 - Mama Styx in a different light. 

We were in store for another gorgeous day. 

I went out to work in the yard at 10am, and it was already 55°.  I wanted to get all of the nut shells and sticks off the ground, that the riding mower doesn't pick up when Joe uses it to suck up leaves.  It is hard to see the difference I made, but this small section of yard was much cleaner. 

We are still getting leaves blowing over from the neighbor up-wind, which gets me frustrated.  I shouldn't let it though.


I put the debris in a 30 gallon bin and hauled it into the woods across the creek. 



After hauling away four loads, this is all the farther I got.  At least it is a start.



I wanted to get in a good, long ride on Amiga, so quit work in the yard, ate a quick lunch, and was off.


The action at the barn this time, was getting the huge lime-spreading truck out of the gelding pasture.  It had gotten stuck, had to be towed out of the mud, and then fencing had to be undone to drive the truck out because it couldn't go back the way it had come in.



After I got Amiga tacked up, I had Kat take some photos of us.  We couldn't get Amiga to put her ears up.  Sometimes (no, often) she has an attitude.
But I love her.



When I was sitting on her for more photos, she bent down and grabbed a mouthful of straw.  I wanted a photo showing her red bow, but then my head was blocked by the wreath.  



Finally we were off on our ride, taking the Holly Trail into the Glade.  I rode Amiga down the first hill, but walked her up the steeper one across the creek.

This photo was taken looking down Marmaduke later in the ride.  It has one house on it so gets very little traffic.  I decided to ride on the 'other side' of the power lines for a change.  However, going down Beachwood, we came across these two vehicles. 

Thinking this might be 'illegal' hunters, I felt the need to investigate, although it made me a little worried.  Once I got up to them, I spoke with the Fairfield Glade worker in the truck.  I asked if there were poachers in the neighborhood.  He said 'you never know.'  When asked if it was safe to ride back there, he said 'ride at your own risk.'

I turned Amiga around and we went to the other side of the power lines and rode all of the cul-de-sacs off Marmaduke.  I even tried a few 4-wheeler trails.  At one point we came across this fairly fresh deer hide.  It made me a little nervous all over again.  Some of the mud roads go quite deep into the woods and are never traveled by normal traffic.  People hunt, dump trash and yard waste, 4-wheel, and who knows what else deep in the woods.  I don't mind sharing the beautiful woods, if people would just respect them and leave them as they found them.


Returning to the barn over 2½ hours later, I noticed Boz napping in the manure pile.  Silly boy.  It was probably giving off some heat and was definitely out of the way of horse traffic.

I was too tired, and it was getting cold, so I decided not to mess with trailer loading.  Instead, I spent extra time grooming and caring for Amiga.

Joe went straight from golf to a poker game so I hurried home to walk Maggie.  It was another quiet evening, although I had Christmas music playing as I did my nightly chores of animal care, dinner, and kitchen clean up.

I really like this poem (re-write of night before Christmas) and wanted to share it along with the pictures I added from internet posts.  Don't let the tangled tinsel, Covid lock down, or other worries and heartache take away from the joy of Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment