Thursday, April 22, 2021

Earth Day

Each year on April 22, people all around the world come together on Earth Day to celebrate the planet's environment and raise public awareness about pollution.  I have always had a respect and concern for our planet, starting with an early up-bringing with a mom who was (among many other things) an environmentalist.  My concern for our Earth only increases as this world seems to be spiraling out of control.  And now, with a new grandchild, my worry about the future of our planet is even bigger.  I can't wait to show Ava the great outdoors and our task we share in caring for and protecting our Earth.

Wednesday 4/14 - It was an early morning for Daniel with Ava, after mama Valencia fed her.  Later they got their discharge papers (a little after 9am) and were packed up and ready to leave the hospital by 10:15. 


The cute blanket is one Courtney had knit for Ava.

 









I spent most of the day getting all of last week's blog finished.  There were so many photos and so much to write about. 


The azalea have started to bloom and I was glad to see these two bushes finally looking more alive.  I thought they had died over the winter. 
I was also glad to see that the two dogwood I had transplanted last fall were sprouting.  Someday they will look like this beauty that is just outside my office/sun room window.
 
 







As you can see, the skies were overcast and, eventually they did let loose of some rain a few times.






Daniel had gotten Val and Ava safely home and now they could all sleep in their own beds.  Ava was napping peacefully in her bassinet in no time.



Aunt Courtney Mae with her new, little niece Ava Mae.  I am sure Great Grandma Freda Mae is looking down from heaven with a smile on her face.


I managed to get a load of laundry done and not be too distracted from blogging by the cats.  They were enjoying romping around the house and going out on the back porch. 

Two of Dan and Val's kitties got to meet Ava.  I am not sure what they thought.


The beauty of spring was enjoyed just outside my window while I spent hours here blogging.  Joe went to the ranch to do more planting.  After nine days of copious food and alcohol consumption, I knew I had to cut way back on both and get going on exercise.  Well I didn't get any exercise, other than a few dog walks, but I did eat less and less often.

Daniel reported that the cats were very curious about Ava, and that Tango was doing well with her.
 

Thursday 4/15 - Stevie wanting some lovin'.  All the cats have been a bit more clingy or affectionate.  Even Babe seemed to want to keep an eye on my where-a-bouts. 

I proof read and then posted our vacation blog, and then got this one started.  After finishing another load of laundry and a hearty breakfast, I headed to the gym.  I wasn't happy or surprised at my 3½lb weight gain.  My workout was less than usual, but felt like more work than usual.  I hate that back-sliding happens so quickly, but regaining fitness takes so long.

We didn't get any news on Ava until almost noon.  Daniel said that she had been very fussy, so they were trying a few things, figuring it out.

I didn't get to the barn until 1:30 and was slow to catch Amiga and saddle up.  I had been chatting with the staff and Pat and Art, and learned that Cheryl had sold Velvet and left the barn (4th person in two weeks) because she can no longer ride.  I was feeling sad that I now have only three riding buddies; Pat, Patty, and Babs.

Pat rode out on Rocky while I was saddling Amiga.  Seen here, she is leaving the small bean field after we chatted a minute.  You can barely see her in this second photo.

I took the Holly Trail, just down to the creek and then rode in the bean fields again.  Amiga was very alert to something, and then I saw the reason...




Judy was leading a trail ride past.   

Amiga was being a little barn sour, especially after this group left the area, so I took her into an open pasture by the barn (once back) and rode there a bit longer.


I had done some cantering shortly before quitting, so Amiga was hot and tired when I un-tacked.  I hosed her muddy legs and belly, walked her around a few minutes, and gave her a Prevcox. 

I spent 90 minutes in the backyard raking up sticks and finally got the whole job done.  But I noticed that now there are lots of weeds to pull.  Mr. and Mrs Mallard came near, quacking, so I went and got them some corn.   

Joe grilled steaks for dinner, which included potatoes and corn.  I had to hurry up outside, to get done in time to eat.








At 6:30pm we got an up date and photo from Dan.  They took Ava on her first stroll earlier, after eating, so she was now zonked out. 

I dropped by Patty's for cat care instructions and to grab Maggie's bed and toys.  Then I went on to Food City to buy brownie mix and some other supplies.  I was getting ready for a weekend trip to Nashville and to celebrate Joe's Birthday.

Friday 4/16 - Mama Styx sitting in Stevie's usual spot, lookin' for some lovin'. 

Karen had this old Jolly Ball she gave Maggie while Patty was pet sitting last week.  Maggie really has a ball with it (video), especially when playing outside.







I baked brownies and then did a Zumba class at the gym with only five other ladies.  I noticed sore muscles from the day before, but didn't have a great workout because it is difficult to do all the moves when you don't know the routine.


It was a beautiful 60+ degree day and I decided the weeds in the yard could wait, so I went for a long ride.  I took Amiga into the Glade by way of the Holly Trail, which was in really good shape.  Some of the roads however were not passable, because of downed trees.  In this photo, Amiga and I are behind Terry and Billy's.  The structure is the FGCC lookout tower, used when the area was first being developed.  It is mostly down now.  Beyond that is Terry's barn. 

Not only did Amiga and I spot these turkeys, but we also came across a bicycle that looked to be dumped in the woods, until I noticed a man in camo walking farther back in the woods.  I thought he might be hunting, (against the law) but didn't ask him what he was doing.  He did confirm that it was his bike. 

Once I got to Terry's, we chatted for quite awhile.  Amiga was very content to stand and graze for about 30 minutes while we did so.  

When we were heading back to Wildwood about 90 minutes later, we came across the camo guy riding his bike down Marmaduke.  Amiga started to spook, but he was very nice to stop and let us safely pass.

Nobody was at the barn when I arrived at 5:30.  Amiga got brushed well before being put in her stall.  I had been in the saddle for three hours, without any adverse affects.  It is odd that I can sit in my saddle for hours without any sciatic pain, but put me in a car and I am squirming in no time.  

Baby update - Ava had her first Dr. appointment.  She has gained 3oz since being discharged from the hospital on Wednesday.  Way to go Ava and Mama Val! 


 









The day ended with packing and battling a sinus headache I was sure was the result of allergies. 


Saturday 4/17 - Time to go to Nashville and meet Ava in person.  Maggie was Joe's co-pilot on our way to the kennel where we dropped her off. 


We got to Murfreesburo much quicker than I expected, waiting at Chick-Fil-A 15 minutes for the 10:30 lunch menu to become available so we could order off of it. 


When we got to Dan and Val's, we were surprised to see that Val's two sisters (Dominque and Alexis) and niece (Ariella) had arrived at 7am, surprising them also.  Ari was so excited to meet her new cousin (Ava).  We were also thrilled to meet Ava, our new granddaughter.


Ava eats every three hours so I soon had the pleasure of feeding her. 

  
Our little granddaughter has been struggling with some digestive issues and jaundice (hasn't pooped for a few days and is very gassy) so getting her to burp was of utmost importance.












Later Papaw Joe had the opportunity to hold Ava.  We are proud grandparents indeed.





Dan and Val are both doing such a great job with Ava.  They are lay-back, relaxed, and easy going, having a calming affect that makes for a tranquil home environment.


 






Ava mostly slept between feedings and rarely made a peep.  Apparently she is very good during the day, but more wakeful and fussy from midnight through morning.  She seems to have her nights and days mixed up.



It was very heart warming to see son Daniel holding and caring for Ava so tenderly.


Tango has been very good with the baby, keeping an eye on her, and very concerned when she cries (at night).  Val said Tango kind of whines when Ava is crying.







We all headed out for some fresh air and sunshine, bundling Ava up because it was a bit brisk out. 
 


Dan and Val live at the end of a cul-de-sac, which was the perfect place for Ari to roller blade.  A little later Dan and I joined her.  I was quite rusty to say the least.  Here are the on-lookers, enjoying the day outside.




Courtney arrived just as we were finishing up on our exercise session.  We spent much of the afternoon gathered around the dinner table, chatting, playing with cats, and holding and feeding Ava.


Fluffy Kitty and Paco were both wanting as much attention as possible, seeming to be a bit jealous of each other and of Ava.







Daniel mowed while Ava napped.










This was the first time she was able to successfully sleep flat on her back.


Yaneth and Val cooked a yummy spiral ham dinner.
Tango watching Courtney prepare the toss salad.

















Dinner was very good.  Seen in this photo, going clockwise starting with Valencia; are Alexis, Joe, myself, Courtney, Daniel, and Ava.

Fluffy Kitty wanting the same attention as Ava.  LOL








Courtney did the next feeding.


After burping, Ava was soon back to sleep.

A little later we had brownies and ice cream and sang Joe Happy Birthday (a day early). 

The day was winding down early because everybody was so tired.  Courtney, Joe, and I headed to her condo for the evening.


Sunday 4/18 - Papaw Joe's Birthday.
It was a beautiful, sun shiny day.  Courtney was tired from the week of work so slept in.  Joe and I arrived back at Dan's about 10:45am and there was good news, Ava finaly pooped during the night.






B
y 11:30 we were having our family Face Time.  During part of the chat, Daniel sat holding Ava while Paco was trying to share his lap. 

Meanwhile, the Cruz girls were preparing and doing a photo shoot.  So Dan, Val, and Ava left the family chat early. 

Here are a few of the great photos they took:


Valencia with her mom Yaneth, two sisters Dominque and Alexis, daughter Ava, and niece Ariella.

     


















The new parents (Dan and Val) with Ava.                   


    The three sisters with (daughter/niece) Ava.















I really like this one they took with Daniel and Ava (Dad and daughter).


And here is Grandma Yaneth with granddaughters Ariella and Ava.













Ari and I started a puzzle while we all sat around the table chatting, and Joe 'took a turn' with Ava.  It is hard to believe she is so fussy at night because we never heard her cry during the day.


These boys are cute, but I sure hope Ava takes more after 'the Cruz girls' in the family.  LOL 

We all went for a late lunch to an ice cream / hamburger place.  The sun was out part of the time, warming us and giving Ava the rays she needed to help with her jaundice.


      










The food tasted great, especially since we were all pretty hungry. 


There was very little time left of our visit once back to Dan and Val's.  After a quick, short walk, I had a few more moments with Ava before needing to hit the road.  We had to be back between 5:00 and 5:30 to pick up our canine baby. 

It was a very short visit, but so worthwhile.  What a pleasure to see and enjoy our first grandchild.  I am thankful we live so close to Dan and Val, and worry that Valencia is so far away from her family. 




We arrived in perfect time to pick up Maggie, dropped in at Patty's to care for her cats (she is in Iowa for the week), and were home by 6pm.  

Valencia sent us this photo of Ava sunning in the window.  What a doll baby.  She loves being swaddled, so this probably took her out of her comfort zone a bit.  Although, she looks quite relaxed.  Everyday she is changing.  I can tell she is already becoming more alert, looking at faces and her surroundings.  

Well, I got to warn you all, in addition to lots of cat and horse photos on my blog posts, you are also going to see a bunch of baby Ava. (I keep bugging Dan and Val for up-dates.) 



Monday 4/19 -It was a beautiful day, although a little colder than it had been.  My cats hang around while I am at work here at my computer.  These shelves are on the wall overhead.  Monita is in the cubby, Mama Styx in the hammock, and Stevie up on the corner shelf.  Babe was elsewhere.

Joe played golf and later poker, so was gone most of the day and all evening.


Ava had a doctor's appointment, and was reported to be doing well.  She was also getting quite good at pooping.  Later in the day we were sent this photo of her catching some rays coming through the windows.  She has great parents who really love and care for her.

I had a productive few hours at the gym, and then swung by the Dollar Tree and went on to Patty's to care for her cats. 

After a very late lunch, I went to the barn.  They were just about to bring the horses in, so I gave Amiga half her grain and then tacked her up for a short (one hour ride).




Here we are looking at the distant pastures as we came out from the Holly Trail.  If you zoom in on the upper left of the photo, you will see the livery horses in the back section of their pasture. 

The sun was getting lower in the sky, but still filtering through the woods as we took the trail back to the barn.  Notice how green the woods are getting.



I rode Amiga around the barnyard and took her across the street to look at the gardens.  Most people really put a lot of time and effort into the plots they rent.  We rode around the near and far gardens.

It was after 6pm by the time I got home so my fur babies were anxious to eat.  Dinner for me was just a little bit of popcorn since I had had such a late lunch.



Tuesday 4/20 - Mama Styx spent quite a bit of time on my arm (which is unusual) while I computerized, but of course when I tried to take a photo, she got up and left.

A morning photo from Dan showed Ava working on her pinky toe stretch that the Villhauer feet have all inherited.





I went to the barn at 9am for a morning ride, planning to go into the Glade.  I cleaned some tack and chatted awhile and then hit the trail at 10:30.

Amiga has been much better on the Holly Trail, but for some reason today kept turning around just after crossing the creek.  The big (difficult) hill up is just after the creek crossing.  It took three tries to get her to continue after the creek to the flat area next to the creek where I get off, to then walk her up the hill.

We rode around the Glad checking out areas I haven't been to in quite awhile.  This is the 'road block' at Beachwood where it hits Chestnut Hill.  The Glade folks are quite serious about keeping out 4-wheelers and other vehicles.  I did ride Amiga around the obstruction to see if it was possible to get back onto Chestnut Hill, which it was.

I rode into Terry's property but was unable to get to (soon to be) our side because of new fencing put up.  She and Billy are preparing to move their horses over to the other parcel where the in-law's house is.


I hate that snakes look like sticks on the trail, and sticks look like snakes on the trail.  Keeps me on my toes.  Amiga has never spooked at a snake though.  I only worry about her getting bitten by a Copperhead or Timber Rattler. 

When I saw this big black snake, Amiga about stepped on it before I could get her turned around to head back the other way.  (I had been checking fence in the new gelding pasture and was planning to turn around anyway.)


My ride was 15 minutes shy of three hours.  Amiga has gotten fat this month, with new grass growth and me being gone (not riding).  So now I need to really get out and work her.

I went to care for Patty's cats, so it was after 3pm when I got home.  I had a very late lunch, or early dinner.


I was out cleaning and filling bird feeders when Joe came home from the gym in the UTV.  Maggie greeted Joe, not real sure of this strange vehicle.  

Joe later took the UTV to Terry's farm to meet with a home repair guy to see about getting the kitchen floor (to the ranch house) better supported under the island.




Since the kitchen has been remodeled (before Terry and Billy bought the property) the kitchen island (too heavy from the stone work counter top) has caused the floor to gradually sag over the past few years, which has resulted in some of the kitchen floor tile cracking.  We want to get it fixed as soon as possible, to prevent any farther damage.


I weeded the front bed for over an hour.  In the process, I noticed this bunny nest in the phlox.  I did not remove any hair to see if there were any babies down in the hole. 

I skipped dinner because of my large 3:30 meal, but did snack on popcorn here at my computer before bed.

Dan sent this photo of Ava, with the caption: 'Today's mood.'

I am not sure what her mood was, but I think she looks peaceful napping in the sun.


Wednesday 4/21 - It was a cold 34° when I walked Maggie at daybreak, and we did get a little sleet and snow off and on in the morning.  At least it wasn't the two to three inches of snow that the Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio family and friends were complaining about.

I didn't struggle at the gym as much as I had Monday, but it still seemed tough going to do my regular workout.

 

I had gone to the gym earlier than usual, so was home for lunch by noon.  Then I headed out for a full afternoon of shopping, stopping at Patty's first.   

This cart shows what just over $300.00 of groceries at Walmart looks like.  And this was after I spent a little over $100.00 on plants at Lowe's.


Here's our little Ava at nine days old. 
I love that Daniel sends at least one daily photo. 
He and Val are both on maternity leave for three months, so there is time to keep us posted.  I am sure they are still trying to get into a routine with Ava.

I didn't get home from my big shopping spree until 6:30.  The pets thought they were dying of hunger.  It was 8:30 by the time I had taken care of everything (pets, me, and all the stuff I bought), and another hour before I went to bed. 


Thursday 4/22 - Happy Earth Day!

I slept late so the sun was up when I walked Maggie at 6:30, but it was only
27° outside. 

 
I played a few more games than usual, and had a third cup of tea, because I was cold and unmotivated to do anything productive.


Eventually I did accomplish a few things around the house.  Here is a photo of Patty's two cats (Ellie and Gilley) who I fed right after lunch time.  

From Patty's I went directly to the barn.  There was not a soul around.  Although it was a tad windy and cold, it was a beautiful sunny day, and I thought it odd that the stables appeared closed for the day.


When I went out to the mare pasture to get Amiga, I noticed that the livery horses seemed to be enjoying their day off.

Both dogs were quite excited to see me, and went with Amiga and I out on the trail.







I didn't ride much more than an hour, but enjoyed myself with Amiga.  She was very responsive today and gave me a wonderful, smooth and slow canter the whole length of the large bean field.    



I was home a tad before 4pm and got busy transplanting these two house plants.  I moved the larger one into the pot I had bought the day before.  And then I moved the Norfolk Pine from its store bought pot into the white pot I had freed up.  I also planted the ivy into the little hanging pot I put in the sun room.



I got the two large plants moved into the sun room and  it was then feeding time for my beasts.  After dinner Joe and I watched two episodes of Blue Bloods.

Hope you all had a good Earth Day, a wonderful week, and remember, everyday should be Earth Day... we need to always take care of our planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment