Friday, April 30, 2021

Arbor Day

 Every year Arbor Day is observed on the last Friday in April (the 30th this year).  It is celebrated simply by planting trees and showing appreciation for the environment.  I love landscaping and gardening so am always planting.  Our yard has more than enough trees, but I will replace some if needed.  Once we close on our ranch property, we plan to plant fruit trees out there.





Planting a tree does brighten up my day.  Adding a tree to the landscape is not the same as the stroke of a brush that Bob Ross does, but I get the same joy by digging in the dirt.  I think in my case, planting a tree is easier than painting one.  LOL

Friday 4/23 - It was another cold morning, and continued with overcast skies and some rain before noon.  Daniel sent a morning up-date of Ava, getting her first sponge bath.  Notice she is sucking the tip of Dan's thumb.  Whatever works to keep her content.

We got bad news about our loan progress.  The lady doing all our paperwork had quit and so no progress had been made for awhile.  I had already been disappointed that we were unable to close early, but now I was worried we might not make the April 30th deadline.  Joe had to run to the bank to get yet more paperwork completed and he was feeling a little stressed by the whole situation as well.

I wasted away the morning and didn't leave for the gym until noon.  While doing my normal 15 minute warm up on the rowing machine, I decided I wasn't in the mood to lift weights and that it could wait till Saturday.  So I watched a HGTV home renovation show while doing the elliptical for an hour.  


I swung by Patty's on the way home and then pretty much called it a day.  Like Stevie in the photo, I was feeling lazy.  Gloomy, rainy days (well it was just drizzling) always do this to me.

I did do a few little things around the house, and then read and napped on the couch in the sun room, which did not see sun all day.


After 5:30 feeding time, and walking the dog, I ended up weeding down back for awhile.  I had gone out to dump some corn, saw some sticks so started picking them up.  I had to get the 30 gal. tub to put all the sticks in.  And then I started weeding since there was room in the tub.  

Joe was gone for the afternoon and evening, playing golf and then poker, so I computerized and then read.

Saturday 4/24 - Dan had sent this sweet photo of Val and Ava after I had gone to bed.  He and Val were catching up on their TV shows.  

I had not slept well, so didn't get up until almost 6:30.  It was another gloomy, rainy day.  Because of the weather, I was again quite unmotivated. 

I got myself back to the gym for my weight workout, which improved as I progressed through it.  I practically had the whole place to myself until the last 30 minutes when people started showing up. 

I made my last trip to Patty's.  She was on her way back home from Iowa.  When I got home, I puttered around the house.  One little project involved tying baling twine to this basket to make a little bird feeder.  The cats and dog love watching critters out the front window.     

Reading and a nap occurred on the couch in the sun room.  Pet feeding and chores were done early.  At 5:15 Joe and I went to town for dinner and then the Playhouse to watch 'Clue.'  It was more of a comedy than a mystery.  It was a fun night out, but I think I enjoyed the play more than Joe did.  Our 11:00 bedtime was later than usual.


Sunday 4/25 - This was the fifth day of cold, and it started very cloudy and damp.  I struggled to get going on anything, and lingered here playing games.  I was trying to finish a particularly difficult 300 piece, on-line computer jigsaw puzzle. 

We had a family chat with
Courtney, Britney, Dan and Val.  I love getting Ava up-dates!  She is settling in to a more regular routine and going a little longer between feedings, but is still fussy from 1-4am. 


It was 1:30 by the time the sun came out and I finally got to the barn.  I had decided to ride first and then do yard work.  Amiga doesn't run from me anymore when I go to get her, but she doesn't come to me like Zorro and several other horses do for their owners.  Here she is standing as I approach her.


I rode for nearly two hours.  Amiga was quite willful a few times but we worked through it.  


This is Jack who has been working at the barn for over a month now.  He is very good with the horses.  Kind, gentle, but also firm and he doesn't let them push him around.  When he opened the stall door and Zorro started to just come right out Jack put his hand on Zorro's face to sort of hold him back, and then was petting him.  It was just sweet to see.  Then when he did stand back so Zorro could come out Zorro wouldn't.  LOL  So he put his hand under Zorro's chin and led him out and down the alleyway.  

After feeding the 'flock' once home, including myself, I did some yard work, trimming and tying back a few trees in an effort to control and shape their growth. 
Then Joe and I watched two episodes of Blue Bloods.


Monday 4/26 - Daniel tried on the baby carrier later in the day and sent this photo up-date.  I have become obsessed with working on-line jigsaw puzzles, and found myself whittling away most of the morning. 

Joe left for his camping trip and I went to the gym shortly after. 

Then my whole afternoon was spent at the barn and riding.

I walked Amiga through the pasture across the street (past Henry and Top Hat) to get to the trail that goes to the winter pasture.

I was very disappointed when I got to the winter pasture because it had been plowed, so the footing was not good.  It was tough going, riding around the perimeter of the fields because there was not enough room along the edge so we had to walk on the plowed areas quite often.
Seen in the photo below, we are on the ridge by the winter pasture, under the power lines, looking across Westchester at the switchback the livery ride takes down into the gorge.


At one point I tried cutting through from one pasture to another on what I thought was a trail the livery horses had made.  Well, I ended up riding Amiga through some pine branches and then under a low limb I didn't see until it was too late and I got brushed out of the saddle, making it under the branch hanging on to the side of Amiga's neck with one foot still in the stirrup.  My shoulder and neck got scratched up and Amiga's fly mask got ripped.  Dadgum-it.

We made our way down the steep, muddy hill of the long ride and then had a very pleasant ride along Daddy's Creek (video).    

Heading back to the barn, I turned Amiga off the livery trail, onto the Holly Trail.  She did not want to leave the path to the barn but all I had to do was show her the crop, and she cooperated.  I only took her to the #14 tee box and then turned around and rode back to the barn.



Amiga was tired and I was worried about her legs being sore, so I gave her a Prevocox.  She then got extra care and attention before putting her in her stall for the night.  I chatted with Judy, Karen, and Sharon while I looked after Amiga. 

I too was quite tired by the time I got home, but had to muster up the energy to finish laundry, put clean sheets on our bed, and do litter boxes and other pet chores including walking Maggie since Joe was gone.

Tuesday 4/27 - I always love our Ava up-dates and daily photo(s).  Here she is all tightly swaddled and looking more awake than usual. 

I did not waste much time at my computer and was at the barn by 8:45.  Amiga is now in the 'dry lot' with Merlin so she can't eat as much grass during the day.  They are getting along great.









It is definitely handier having her so close to the barn, saves me having to walk way out in the mare pasture.

It didn't take me long to tack up and hit the trail.   

I took the Holly Trail into the Glade and we rode in the wooded area between the fairways of the back nine of Dorchester.  I had fun cantering on some of the roads (video) but did run into difficulties because of downed trees that have not been cleared off the roads (video).

 





In some cases, the golf course has actually intentionally stacked the trees they have removed from the course, onto the dead end roads at the back of some holes.

After 2½ hours out on the trail, I got back to the barn on a hot, sweaty horse.  I hosed her off and then she had a good roll when I put her back out in the dry lot with Merlin.
 


Once home, I ate a late lunch and read out on the lounge chair (in the sun) for an hour.  Then I got to work in the yard.  I scrubbed this black rug (floor runner) Joe got off a trash pile.  We are going to put it in the workshop to replace the shag carpet scraps that have been there since we bought this place.  Who puts shag carpet in their work room?





I also worked in the front flower bed at weeding and more leaf removal (from the oak that drop their leaves in the spring) and then got this little azalea planted between the existing, two large ones.




After dinner I took Maggie on a long walk.  This photo of a back yard seen from the Library Trail does not do it justice.  It was full of color with blooming azalea, cherry, red bud, and dogwood.  I had walked to the new amphitheater to get photos, but my phone battery died so pictures will have to wait another time.






Long after I had gone to bed, Dan sent this photo of he and Ava, with the caption 'Movie Time.'  Ava does not look real interested in the movie, but happy to rest on her daddy's chest.




Wednesday 4/28 - My duck pair were sleeping in the front yard, although opened their eyes when they saw me lurking to take these photos. 


Stevie remained unbothered and unimpressed as I worked nearby, here at my computer. 

Before going to the gym for a great workout, I puttered around the house doing laundry, cleaning with conditioner my leather boots, running the dish washer, etc.  I also put a photo of Ava in this frame Jan had given me, and hung it on the wall.



  



I ran to Food City on my way home from the gym, and because it had started raining, I put planting on hold.  After I showered and had a late lunch, I sat on the porch swing and read for an hour.



Mama Styx and Monita were quick to join me and eventually they and then Stevie settled in on the swing by me.  I was wanting to nap, but Shirley was picking me up at 2:50, so I resisted the temptation to doze because I didn't really have time.

Shirley picked up me, we picked up Patty, and then we three went to Karen's house and hopped into her car to go to the new barn where Jan, Polly, and Melissa board.







It was great to see Jan, Polly, and Melissa; and tour the facility.  The beautiful indoor arena was especially nice, with all natural lighting and stalls around the perimeter.  I kept thinking it would be nice to be 20 years younger and running this type of business. 


There was a litter of nine, six week old, German Shepard puppies that we all enjoyed playing with.  We finally said our 'good byes' at 5:30 and headed back (the 30 minute drive) to Fairfield Glade. 

I enjoyed a big salad for a late dinner and climbed in bed early to have more time to read (after my nightly devotional) the good novel I have been enjoying.
 

Thursday 4/29 - I did not take any photos all day, which ended up having its ups and downs.  Val sent me this photo of Ava near the end of the day to help relieve my stress.  Look at that smile and those eyes. 

Joe arrived home early (9:30) from camping, plopping all his dirty, smokey gear in the garage and going straight to his computer to deal with more loan documents. 

It was predicted to rain mid-afternoon, so after spraying my clean boots with water proofing and setting them out in the sun, I headed to the barn to ride Amiga, giving her the exercise she needs.

Another Ava up-date to make my day.  Daniel sent this photo at nearly midnight, which brightened my day upon waking the next morning.

Just after I rode out from the barn, it started sprinkling.  I headed across the street to work Amiga in the little arena.  Before making it a second time around, the rain got much heavier so we quickly headed back to the barn.  I rode her inside, several laps around, until the rain stopped, and then back out we went.  We got in just over an hour of riding time when the second wave of rain hit, so I had to quit early.

I arrived home to remove my soggy boots from the deck that I had left out there in the sun.  It is frustrating when I plan my activities around the weather, but the weather man is wrong. 

After lunch I went to town to get supplies that Walmart was out of several days ago.  It was another failed trip.  The clerk stocking in the pet supply isle said the canned food and cat litter get snatched up right after being put out on the shelves. 
Then to make matters worse, there were only two check out lines open and about seven people in each line.  As luck would have it, I picked the slower of the two lines so had over a fifteen minute wait.  I am so ready to boycott Walmart and not shop there anymore. 

Feeling irritated while driving home, the slow poke drivers and ones who pulled out right in front of me continued to add to my stress and frustration. 

Finally home, I then learned of the hassles Joe had been going through all day with the stupid loan process and he was more stressed than I was.  This just added to my angst.  We weren't sure what would happen if we weren't able to close by our 4/30 deadline. 

Maybe I needed to hug (or plant) a tree.  Research suggests that being around trees helps us feel less stressed and more restored.  I broke down and decided I had to have a beer, and it wasn't even 5pm yet.  Finally, at 6:23, we got the call from the lending company that our loan had been approved.  Yahoo!  There was still one change to make on the insurance document and Joe needed to set up the closing appointment with our lawyer, but Joe couldn't get a hold of him.

Friday April 30 - It was National Arbor Day and we were hoping it would be closing day on our ranch property.  Once Joe was up, he was back at it, communicating with several folks, to try to get our closing set up for today.  But to no avail.  The lawyer's schedule was full.  But at least we were able to get the closing appointment set up for mid-morning on Monday.  It IS going to happen!

I did some household chores before dropping in on Rita to make sure she was doing okay while Andy was having a test done at the hospital.  We had a lovely time chatting until Andy got home.

I spent several hours planting flowers, since I had no trees to plant.  I moved my fall mums out of pots and planted them by this flowering dogwood I had transplanted here in the fall.


I did do some weeding here and in some other spots. 

Here are most of the pots I got flowers planted into.  I really like a combination of bright colors in my pots.  I then dispersed them to various spots. 


The pot at the top of the driveway I had to plant where it sits because it is too heavy to move very easily. 



Joe and I took Maggie for a ride in the ATV.  She was a little nervous (videos), and I wondered if it was too loud for her.  We went down Weschester to the barn so I could pay board.  But Kayla was already heading down the road for home when we arrived.

I drove the UTV home, and although it runs a little loud, it is a lot of fun.  


After dinner I sat here in my office / sun room / cattery and worked on this blog.  I love the view of the woods and pond and watching song birds, ducks, squirrel, chipmunks, deer, and even sometimes a turtle come and go.  As the sun was setting, it filtered through the woods and lit up some foliage and the rock where I place the corn. 

What a beautiful and tranquil sight.  

Happy Arbor Day everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment