Friday, April 1, 2022

Chicks and Horses

This blog is kind of about us girls and our horses,
but it is also about our baby chicks.  

We wanted to focus on, and spend time with both our chicks and horses.

But we had to balance chick and horse time, with Jean's work, ranch work, and my workouts.


Saturday 3/26 - Later in the day I got my Ava fix and update with these photos of their visit to the Nashville Zoo.  


What a cute chick she is.









And she often makes you wonder, what is she thinking, plotting, and scheming?  LOL.  




I love this sweet family of ours. 






I had a good morning workout and then went out to the ranch after lunch.  



My first order of business was to check on the chicks.  We have been struggling with keeping the brooder at the optimal temperature.  It has fluctuated between 128° and 83°.  We need to keep it between 90° and 95°, because we do NOT want fried or frozen chicken.  Ugh.

It was extremely windy out, and because of recent lameness issues with both Amiga and Zorro, we decided to walk, rather than ride them.


We walked a new loop, so Zorro was on higher alert, and with the wind blowing trees and branches and making strange noises, both horses were on the lookout.  Zorro checking out the scary tire, which wasn't so scary after all.  







The sun was warm, but out in the open the wind was cold, so (like the chicken brooder) it was hard to regulate our temperature.  Coats were taken off and put back on as needed.

Catching a horse in a good pose for a photo is always a challenge.



Getting the person to look good can be tough too.  I was imitating Amiga's goofy face.  Take a close look at her in the first photo.  LOL


I love that Jean cares so much about the environment and the beauty of our woods, that she started picking up trash along the way.  I don't get why people dump their landscape debris, trash and all, along the edge of the back roads.  


Jean had been carrying the bag, but I offered to hold it during the photo shoot, and then helped carry it too.  It was a good desensitizing tool for Amiga, who at first was quite leery of it.  


When we got back to the barn, Jean did a little round pen work so we could try and determine if Zorro was lame or sore. 



It was so difficult to tell because he moved in and out of his gait awkwardly.  When the circle was tight or he turned in one direction, he kind of gave, but it was still hard to pick out which leg he was favoring.


Amiga did a nice job waiting calmly, and patiently until we were done.  Both got sole paint on their feet that were tender. 

While Jean did horse chores back up at A&Z's paddock, I got a tarp ready to cover our raised bed since it was to get down into the upper 20's the next three nights. 









Jean had to help me with the tarp because the wind made it difficult to manage.  I wish I had measured more accurately and made it a little longer.  The parsley you see left out from under the tarp, is cold tolerant, and should be fine.


I scooted home to get ready for dinner out at Red's, where Patty joined us for a good, tasty meal.  We did not stay for Karaoke.


Sunday 3/27 - The temperature was lower than the day before, but with more sunlight and less wind, it actually felt warmer. 

Wild grape hyacinth springing up in the yard amid the onion grass.  





The daffodil are about done blooming for this season, but other varieties of bulbs will soon be in flower. 

I spent about an hour working in the yard picking up sticks and hauling them into the back woods, while also looking over my flowerbeds.

Then I met up with Jean out at the ranch to go for a ride. 

We started out on the same route we had walked the day before.  Both our horses were a little wound up to begin with.  And neither of our selfie photos were very successful because our horses were not totally cooperating.  I don't know what I was doing with the reins in this photo, but it just goes to show, even
quiet, soft hands (that I usually have) can get a little wild when the horse is not moving as asked or expected.  






We had an enjoyable ride, both horses settling into a relaxed walk, and neither struggling soreness or lameness issues.  




Maggie joined us on our ride and did great staying in view and coming when I called her. 

We did the Stratford Dr. loop and I showed Jean the top part of the Holly trail.  Jean used her 'map our route' app, so we could see where we had been.  







We rode for just under an hour and only went 2.65 miles, but it is a starting point as we work at conditioning our horses and ourselves.  




Once finished with our ride, we let the horses graze down in the barnyard area as a reward. 

Little Wanda came over to join us.  






And if you look closely at her in this second photo, she had started to fall off the bench when she went to lay down.  What a silly girl.  You can see Jean and Maggie's reaction too.  




Our Paso finos are too fat, so we did not let them indulge on the green grass for long, and soon led them back up to their somewhat 'dry lot.'  














Patty and Karen stopped in to visit and see the new chicks.

This was my day for horse chore duties, so later in the afternoon, Jean watered all the new transplants while I mucked and fed.  Then we did some chicken care and I added more plastic to our raised bed anti-frost cover.  Jean helped me get it over the bed without smashing any herbs.

Joe and I watched one episode of the thriller drama 'Pieces of Her.'  And then I read for a bit to wind down after the show.

Monday 3/28 - I was off to the gym mid-morning, had a good workout, showered and arrived home dressed in ranch clothes.  After a big salad for lunch, I decided it was just too cold for my liking and I would wait to do yard work out at the ranch tomorrow. 

Babe is the beauty lying in the leopard chair.
 




I did a little dusting, moved laundry to the dryer, and then joined my furry friends on the living room floor, in the sun, and read my novel that was coming to an exciting end.  





Look at the cute toes on Babe's big back foot.
 








Jean sent this photo, of more things happening down at the neighbor's.  I asked her to keep us posted. 

Well, I read quite a bit, but ended up napping for maybe an hour, and dozed off two other times, never finishing my book.  Sheesh.  However, I really did enjoy my lazy afternoon.  



Jean sent another update while she was doing evening chores.  The two halves of the house were connected and they were repositioning it.  







Zorro quickly lost interest in the whole ordeal. 

Joe had an early dinner and then I had beer and popcorn while watching the last three episodes (hours) of 'Pieces of Her.'  It ended on a relatively happy note, so I was able to go right to sleep afterwards.


Tuesday 3/29 - My phlox at home are blooming, but my beds still need to be cleared of dead leaves again.  





Having been to the gym the day before, I was off the hook, and free all day.



I got to the ranch by 10:00, let our horses out on the rest of their side pasture, and cleaned out their loafing shed.  Rio and Cowboy came to see what I was doing when I dumped the old hay/sawdust in the low spot in the corner of their pasture. 

  





I walked the perimeter of A&Z's pasture, checking the fence line and picking up trash that had blown over from next door.  




I also got a closer look at the neighbor's new house.  I am guessing (hoping) they put a cute deck out back with a wrap around porch off the end of it.






The back corner is actually six cinder blocks high off the ground, while the front corner is about 1½ high.  So that is a pretty big difference in the level of the ground.


Next I prepared to do what I like to do most, landscaping and planting flowers.  Jean was out walking Parm while I was gathering up my supplies.  








He took a special interest in the Rose of Sharon bush just outside the chicken coop door


I was interrupted from my project to help Joe and Jean with the sawdust dispensing in the loafing shed.  And then Joe needed direction on his building project - a dividing wall in the chicken coop.


I did finally finish the little flower bed (Memorial garden) by Mom's rock bench.  









It will look much better once the flowers grow and bloom more.


Jean and I had planned to horse around, but because Zorro was still acting very tender footed, we decided to just take them for a walk, rather than to ride. 
We headed down the drive, out front towards Eli Ford.  

  











Once to the road, Jean took a photo of our horses in front of our temporary
private drive name sign.  It is hard to get both horses looking at the camera at the same time.
 

At the end of Eli Ford, we cut into the woods on the path that eventually took us to Marmaduke.  









What a good looking pair these two are.  And Zorro is so much better than Amiga, when it comes to looking at the camera.  


 


Coming out of the woods at a narrow spot in the trail, Amiga was more interested in scratching on this tree than posing for a photo.  She is such a silly filly.  







We came back onto our property through the gate behind the barn.  We ended up walking 1½ miles.  Patty arrived to do chores just as we were walking up the drive from the barn.  We looked at and talked about our chicks and horses.  









This is the section of wall Joe had built, to divide the chicken coop from our garden storage area.  So it will be a dual purpose chicken coop/garden shed.
 


Wednesday 3/30 - I had a noon dentist appointment so didn't make it to the gym before I needed to leave to go to town.  A piece of my molar had chipped off on Saturday so I needed to see what needed to be done.  The bad news, the tooth needs to be capped.  The good news, my insurance will pay for it.  UGH!  I hate dental work.


I had planned to drop in at Tractor Supply on the way home because they had black chicks I had had my eye on for a few weeks now.  I was planning to look at and maybe buy one.  Well, the minimum they will sell you is four.  We don't need any more, but the black ones are so cute.  I paid for four, but only took three (since I had three of each of the other three kinds). 


The first photo shows Jean about to release the three newbies in with the other nine.  In this second photo, I think all twelve are huddled together.  For some reason, they like to huddle in the corners of the brooder.  I couldn't get the lighting right because of the red light bulb. 

The new chicks seemed to fit right in with the rest, but there was one Rhode Island Red picking on (pecking at) them at first.  




When I had arrived at the ranch, I saw that the lumber for the new deck had also arrived.  

Jean and I had planned to ride today, but the wind was ferocious (even a heavy wood Adirondack chair blew over) and we still weren't sure how tender Zorro's feet were.  I was also feeling very lazy.


Thankfully, Jean got me motivated, and we decided to take the horses for a short walk (just one mile out back) and then try a little bareback work.

And look, I got a good photo of Amiga when we were finished.  She was very interested in the three geldings from the neighbor's, who came up to the fence by the barn.  












During our walk, Zorro mostly seemed tender footed when on rocks, but we felt he would be okay to ride (bareback in the round pen).  



While Jean got her helmet and Zorro's bit, I hopped on Amiga in the round pen, with just the halter and rope.  She did very well with my leg and seat cues for turning, stop and go, and back up.
  Amiga can sometimes cop an attitude, but I love this little spitfire of a horse.  




Once Jean was ready to give Zorro a try bareback, I put Amiga in the stall and was at the ready to help Jean.  She had to do a lot of work at the mounting block, and has a lot more patience than I do.  I think Zorro did not realize he needed to stand there for mounting, because he did not have a saddle on.  I don't know when last he was ridden bareback, but do know it has been awhile and he has very little experience with it. 


Zorro came up off his front feet and did a little crow hopping at first.  He quickly settled down and got familiar with the new sensation of a person on his bare back, which is very different than having a saddle on his back.  






Jean did a great job of staying calm and reassuring Zorro.  As they moved around the round pen, he relaxed more and more.  







The ride was kept short and ended on a good note.  




I held Zorro while Jean slid off his back.  And right away, Wanda came over to roll in the grass right by him.  I pray this silly barn cat does not get hurt by any of the horses.  










Once we were done horsing around, we took A&Z up to their dry lot and did some hoof care.


While Jean did her barn chores (for us and the boarders) I watered all the plants and did a little 'pasty butt' care with two of the chicks. 

I got home after 6pm and my clan (of 4 cats and the dog) were ready for dinner.  Poker Joe was gone and with a storm coming, it was difficult to get Maggie to relax during her walk to take care of business. 

I was too tired to finish my book (still have two chapters left) and hit the hay feeling pretty good about life.  There is nothing better in this world than time spent with a horse (and maybe a dozen chicks).  I thanked God for both, and for all my other blessings. 

Thursday 3/31 - It had rained overnight, and more was on its way, so I planned to stay home from the ranch.  I had errands to run anyway.  The sky was an unusual color, which I commented on to my sisters, and then Jean sent this photo of the sunrise at the ranch.  Beautiful.  Thankfully, the wind had finally died down also. 


Three of my four cats, clowning around by my desk.






I stopped by the library to get another paperback, had a good workout at the gym, and then went to Food City to buy some much needed groceries.

  

I finally finished my book.  I dropped Dan's Birthday card off at the post office on my way to my doctor's office, which is right by the gym, less than two miles from our house.  Very convenient.

My doctor is taking me off the Fosamax, due to all the adverse side effects (primarily body aches and pains all over, and acid reflex - I have lost four pounds because I am not eating as much because of my reoccurring stomach aches.)  I will take one more Fosamax after two weeks of clearing it from my system.  Then if I have same symptoms again I will be trying a new drug, Actonel.  




Jean sent a chick update.  The three new babies made it through the night and all twelve were doing well.

I fixed dinner for Joe and I.  It was a very simple one pan dish of roasted chicken strips, potatoes, and veggies.

We watched Survivor later in the evening, and then after my routine devotionals at bedtime, I started my new mystery novel, not even making it to the bottom of the second page before I got too sleepy.  


Friday 4/1 - Happy April Fool's Day.  And as my sister Cathy's calendar card states - Happy, happy, everything!  The day started slowly because it was so gloomy outside.  In fact, Mother Nature played a cruel and annoying April Fool's joke - it started sleeting before 8am. 



I was at the ranch by 9:30 to be there when the deck builders, Kevin and Dave got there.  They pulled in right behind me.  I provided them with a power cord which I plugged in, in the laundry room.  And they were soon sawing and drilling boards.

While they worked on the deck, I worked on removing mulch and cinder block from this front bed that I am making smaller and easier to mow around.



I used the gator to haul the cinder blocks down behind the barn to extend the wall for our manure pile.  And I lined this wooden bin in the back side of the coop/garden shed with plastic, so I had a place to store the extra mulch.  






Over the course of the day, I hauled several 30 gal tubs of mulch and dumped them here.  This is the pile I ended up with by the time I finished. 


I continued to check on the progress of the deck, and was amazed at how well it was coming along.  The guys did have to wait for Joe to bring out an extra board that the order was short on.  







While things were on hold, Kevin and Dave took a lunch break and I took a break from yard work and went for a little ride with Jean.  We were out about an hour and went two miles.  I didn't take any photos because we already have so many of us horsing around.

By the time we were done riding and back up at the house, more deck progress had been made. 

I got back to work on my project and about 4:30, Jean was off for a chick and horse weekend with Courtney.  They were going to be watching horse training clinics all weekend.

I almost finished my little corner bed, but ran into some problems. 


When I tried lining up the angular blocks (Shirley had given us), I was having difficulty getting it to look right.  I tried several configurations.  I was too tried, so quit for the day, but Kevin and Dave were still going strong.  I puttered around in the gator, helped pick up trash and scrap boards from around the new deck, and finally went into the house for a snack and to start a puzzle.  


Eventually, as the guys were finishing up for the day, I watered some of the new transplants and then added water to the dry Quikrete cement they had in the holes around the posts.   
They finally packed up and left shortly after 6:30.  





I quickly locked up the house and headed out also.  Poor Maggie and the cats had a very late dinner, and then so did I.

All in all, it was a good day, and a good week.  But I was glad to be done with the windy, rainy, cold, gloomy, and sometimes snowy month of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment