Friday, April 29, 2022

Springing


I'd had thought spring had sprung, but I think it is now really springing.  We had some fairly warm days, but then kept getting the freezing temps overnight and Jean had to cover all the plantings.  What a pain.  But I think those cold nights are now behind us. 

There was a lot of springing (jumping, bouncing, hopping lambs) going on at Carol's Windswept farm over the weekend.  It was a nice and fun way to start this week.


Friday 4/22 - Jean sent this photo update of our horses, who were happily munching on the hay we had selected from the moldy round bale and left for them.  It looks so tranquil.  I finished up last minute tasks around the house.  Then Joe and I were on the road headed for Indiana, before 8am.  










It was an uneventful seven hour trip (including two quick pit stops) but felt plenty long to me, even though I spent most of the time reading (with a few short naps) in the back seat.  I can't sit very long because of my sciatica, so lay in different positions to relieve the pain.

When we pulled in at Carol's, the sheep and lambs had been resting in the shade of the tree by her drive.  They got up, stretched, and soon the little ones were springing into action.  Not the jumping, but calling for their mama and running to her to nurse.  






We unloaded all of the things for Carol that were from Mom's.  When out looking at a few jobs, and making a game plan for the weekend, Hercules came to greet us. 

Carol has a flock of eight chickens, including two roosters.  The one (an Americana mix) is quite beautiful.

Joe headed to Chris's to deliver Grandma's table and chairs that I have had for so many years.  And Carol and I sat and caught up on life. 


 


When feeding time rolled around, I went out with Carol, and followed her around, watching and taking photos.  









They all, even the lambs, were enjoying the corn and then went off to graze.


I got an update from Joe.  He and Chris were enjoying a brew with some food.  So I sent him this photo of Carol and I enjoying salad for dinner.  








Joe arrived while we were sitting on the front porch watching lambs.  They are so curious and cute.  Carol filmed them in action with the zoomies (video).

 


This (video) Carol took of hurdle competition.  










And I got some still shot photos off of it. 
Springing lambs.


I tried to get a photo of the pretty sunset as Joe and I headed to Crawfordsville where we had a hotel room for the night.

It was almost 9:00 by the time we got settled in, and I was soon asleep. 



Saturday 4/23 - I was up much earlier than Joe, and after computerizing quite awhile, I walked to McDonald's to get some tea and breakfast.  The hotel had falsely advertised a continental breakfast, so we hadn't brought any food or caffeinated drinks with us.  Joe dropped in a little before 8am and said he was hitting the road for Illinois and would eat later.  




Carol picked me up at the hotel a little after 9am and we hit a rails-to-trails and had a nice walk with both her border collies Rick and Meg. 






It was windy, but the day was warming up nicely.

We attended to a few jobs once home, including digging around some poles we were going to cement once Joe returned Sunday with Quikrete. 


Carol had gotten out a puzzle and started turning over pieces, so I worked on that after lunch.  Then we sat on the porch for an early beer and lamb watching.  








It's 5:00 somewhere!

The lambs really are very cute and fun to watch (video).  










 



Many of them soon settled in for a nap, and so did I.  This is what a mid afternoon beer will do to me.  The sun was almost too hot, except the wind helped keep me cool.  







Once I was springing back to life, Carol decided it was time to move the herd because they were running out of shade options with it being less cloudy and the afternoon sun at a different angle.   

 

I watched and took these (video 1) (video 2) of Carol and her dogs moving the sheep and lambs down the drive to the barn in back.

After letting the flock settle in for awhile, we worked on the puzzle some more, and then went back out to watch the flock.

What's not to love about lambs and sheep?


Carol took all of these sheep photos.  





Me watching as we were driving the flock around to the back side of the barn where there was more shade.  It was very windy, which you can kind of see.  








They all enjoyed the shade for a bit, but then many went out, the lambs mostly to explore and the sheep to graze.  This ewe in the photo is 'babysitting' some extra lambs left with hers.


Several lambs found this downed tree especially interesting.  








Some lambs were even brave and daring enough to climb up on the trunk. 




This one black lamb seemed especially proud of itself, and kept getting back up on the tree trunk. 

Carol made a great cornbeef and cabbage dinner which we both thoroughly enjoyed. 

We both are early risers, which also means early to bed, which it was.



Sunday 4/24 - Carol took this sunrise photo after we had both been up for awhile.  And this next one she took facing in the opposite direction.  









The flock looks very peaceful, but were the clouds a warning of rain to come? 



Joe was golfing in Illinois, but they quit after nine holes because of rain, which was on its way towards us.  



Jean reported a beautiful 80° day in Tennessee and taking Amiga and Maggie on a walk.  


And Patty reported that Rose had shown up for food and affection all three days.  



Carol and I enjoyed a relaxing morning, working the puzzle and playing computer games while chatting. 


Eventually we did get outside to do a little work and watch lambs.  












Carol gave me this Martin house which I cleaned up for transport to the ranch.  


Hercules had been near by, clucking, chirping, and talking to me.  I guess he was looking for food, because he got quiet once Carol fed him.  







Carol and I worked at picking up sticks, creating this pile, but not getting nearly all of them.  Most years we do a bonfire, but it was too windy and Joe and I have gotten our 'bonfire fix' out at the ranch. 


Zephyrus, one of Carol's barn cats, had warmed up to me, and let me pet and photograph him. 

Joe arrived from Illinois around 2pm and had the
Quikrete we used to cement in the two posts to keep them vertical.  Then we hung out in the house awhile, Joe watching sports, Carol on the computer, and I trying to finish the jigsaw puzzle.  


Once Carol's neighbor Richard got home, we went over and picked up his ten hole chicken nesting unit.  Carol and I proceeded to dig up thistle in the pasture she 'rents' for her ram and wethers.  Here is a cool looking crayfish hole we came across.  
 
  



We had lucked out with the weather, not getting the rain predicted, but it was still eminent.  So once back to Carol's, Joe and I set to the task of loading the SUV.  




Carol wisely decided that the best way to help us, was to stay clear and let us work it out.  (Joe and I have very different packing methods.)  But we worked together pretty well to solve the 'puzzle.'  





Getting all the 2X4s in was the biggest challenge.  I was not happy with the fact that I would have to sit up front with Joe, and not be able to lay down to relieve my sciatica when it pained me. 





We had thought we were done, and then it occurred to us we still needed to put in Joe's golf clubs and the new garden rake he bought me.  Phew, it all fit.  And we still hadn't gotten rained on. 





We were in no hurry to go to the hotel, so enjoyed a leisurely dinner of leftover cornbeef, a beer, more sports on TV and chatting.  I also got the puzzle finished.  And then we went to the hotel in Crawfordsville for the night.


Monday 4/25 - Joe and I were on the road about 7:30, headed for home in Tennessee.  We stopped for breakfast at a McDonald's and made one other pit stop for gas.  The drive went fine and I held up fairly well until the last two hours when we were on the back roads to avoid construction.  I get very anxious sitting up front where I can't help but watch Joe's driving.  And my sciatica was getting intolerable. 

We went straight to the ranch to unload all the things from Carol.  Neighbor Jim must have seen us pull in because he called Joe to see if he could get help with removing fence posts right away.  




Luckily, Patty had been mowing at the ranch and was just finishing up so she took me home and Joe went to help Jim.  I was frazzled from the drive and just needed to chillax.  My four cats enthusiastically greeted me but soon settled down when I laid down on the living room floor to do some stretches.  





One of my newer azalea bushes was looking pretty.  I had the last half of the afternoon to accomplish something, anything, but no motivation to do so. 






Even though it was a gorgeous day out, I just didn't have it in me to do yard work.  This pink azalea sits in a very neglected bed, that desperately needs weeding and new border boards.  It is typical of almost all my flower beds.  Ugh.

I love getting up-dates from my children.  Courtney sent this photo of she and Sarah out for a walk.  Two pretty ladies.  

I had popcorn for dinner while watching the last two hours of the 'Inventing Ann' series.  And it was earlier than usual when I went to bed.


Tuesday 4/26 - Ava up-date.  I love these shirts. 

I made myself go to the gym a little earlier than usual, fearing I would find an excuse to skip it if I got busy around the house. 

I made a grocery run on the way home, started laundry, and had lunch before heading to the ranch. 








Jean worked Zorro a little bit and I helped muck the field for Patty while waiting for her to arrive to give our two horses their first vaccine against Potomac Fever. 

I noticed the Killdeer pair were frantically trying to gather their three babies that Joe may have scared when mowing the fenceline in A&Z's pasture.  There is one baby behind the parent in this photo. 

Patty gave Amiga and Zorro their shots like a pro and soon I was on my way home. 

Joe and I watched Survivor after dinner.


Wednesday 4/27 - I was up way too early, only getting four hours of sleep.  When I was laying on the couch in the sun room to nap, I noticed Babe making herself comfy with Maggie.  



It had gotten down to 39° overnight, and was slow to warm up.  So Babe was wanting to snuggle. 



Joe and I met Mary and Jack out on the Holly trail to do leaf removal and clean off what rocks, sticks, and roots we could.


I went to the far end and started raking going towards Stratford Drive.  Joe had the back pack blower on and cleared both the hills, but Jack, Mary and I had to go back and get rocks and roots the blower left behind.  With the debris off the trail, it will dry quicker and be much easier for the horses to see their footing.  

I left Jack and Mary who were working on the creek crossing and went to the ranch to help Jean in the chicken coop.  





We had planned to expand their enclosure.  One chick had escaped and was sitting on the rung of the folding chair when we went in to the coop.  So, not only did we make the enclosure larger, we added taller fencing to help keep them in.  The square of shavings is where the old fencing had been.


The girls really enjoyed the additional space, clean shavings, and a larger dust (sand and grit) box.  We adjusted the light and made sure things were far enough away from the fencing that they couldn't use them as a step to get up and over the barrier. 



From the chicks we moved on to the horses. 

We walked both Amiga and Zorro down to the barn, tacked them up, and hit the trail.  Amiga was a little off, so we only walked.

We decided to practice separation with our two Pasos since they are both fairly 'buddy sour.'  





Jean rode Zorro down each of the three cul-de-sacs we past, while I stayed on the main road with Amiga.  I let her graze and rest while we waited on Jean and Zorro. 
The first time both horses were a bit anxious, but the next two they were much calmer (video). 

It was a nice, relaxed little ride.  After hanging out a little longer, I checked on the chicks before heading home. 
 

Eight of them were huddled under the light but I decided the temperature was warm enough because the other four were over on the dust/grit bin. 

It is amazing how fast these girls have grown. 


It was a quiet evening at home with poker Joe gone, doing his thing.  I went to bed extra early since I was short on sleep. 

Thursday 4/28 - I was woken by Joe when he got home at 2am.  I took my thyroid pill and tried to get back to sleep, but it didn't happen.  So my day started way too early again. 

After a one hour nap, I got to the gym at 8am, but struggled with my workout, because I was still way too tired.  




I had an early, high protein lunch and was at Wildwood Stables at 11:30.  In the above photo, Mary is showing the Ukraine women and children (who have been taken in by our community and were visiting the barn) her horses.       

It wasn't until 1:20 when we finally hit the trail, headed for the Glade by way of our newly cleared Holly trail, to meet up with Jean who was on Zorro.  



We had a few delays with a tack problem and then Chipolte getting spooked when Mary's pop exploded when she opened a very shaken bottle.  She and Chipolte both got a little pop shower.  Mary finished off the drink, washed off in the creek, and we continued down the trail.  








We walked the horses up the big, steep hill after crossing the creek of the Holly trail.  They did great.  And then we met up with Jean and Zorro, who had been waiting for us at the trail head on Stratford Dr.


Jean said Zorro had been great, but started getting very antsy when we turned, headed in the direction of the ranch.  They had been out for awhile and Zorro was expending a lot of energy (being so worked up) so we decided to ride back to the ranch for his sake.

Mary and I gave Chipolte and Billy a rest, offered them water, and got water for ourselves before bidding Jean goodbye and heading back out to ride home to Wildwood.   

The ride back was uneventful and quite lovely.  





After helping Mary with un-tacking, brushing, rinsing legs and de-ticking the horses, I went home to shower and do my pet chores.

Joe and I met Jean, Mary, and Jack for dinner at Stonehenge.  It was a nice night, with good drinks, tasty food, and great conversation.

Friday 4/29 - I didn't wake until 5:30, getting more than my quota of sleep, but had needed to catch up for two consecutive nights of too little sleep.  I think my slight headache was due to the two beers because after my tea, I was feeling good.  And to make the morning even better, I lucked out on the day's Wordle, getting it correct on my second guess.

My shopping trip into town took longer than expected.  I had some good hits on items at two thrift stores, but Tractor Supply, Rural King, Lowe's, and Walmart did not have some of the items I needed.  




I went straight to the ranch to unload chick feed, flowers, and other supplies.  I did my horse chores and soon both Jean and Joe arrived.  We discussed chicken coop modifications and then started on libations.  






The neighbor's horses were back along our driveway fence, just cruising by in search of grass I suspect. 

Mary and Jack dropped in to check out our electric at the shop, planning to camp with their live-in quarters horse trailer for a few days next weekend.  Joe headed home and I stayed and had a salad and chatted with Jean for awhile longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment