Friday, April 15, 2022

Rock On

I think many of us would like to maintain a lifestyle in keeping with, or inspired by, our youth rock culture.  Maybe not partying like we did, but living in a youthful way and rockin' life. 

I do enjoy rockin' (dancing) to fun, up-beat music, including rock-n-roll.  But also as many of you know, I enjoy collecting rocks, not the little ones people paint, but larger ones to landscape with.
  
This week, in spite of a 'rocky' start with the weather, it did get nice out and I was able to spend some time landscaping with rocks as well as partying a little bit.




I didn't get this photo Cathy took of Jean Friday evening, until after I posted last week's blog.  


Rock on little doggies.




Saturday 4/9 - The cold that had moved into the area Friday, stayed with us all day Saturday and into Sunday until sunrise.  I asked Jean if she was getting snow at the ranch (like we were in the Glade) and she sent this photo. 

  




I took my time getting to the ranch because any outside activity was pretty much out of the question.  So I went after having an early lunch.  I joined in on jigsaw puzzle 'work.'  In the background, you can see that Maggie and Pfieffer had spotted Joe arriving in this photo.
 

Between snow and sleet 'showers,' we walked down to the barn to show Cathy it and the shop.  Pfieffer needed to be kept on leash.  Wanda was leery of him at first, but at one point mistook him for Maggie, and rubbed up against him.  This took them both by surprise.  


  




Back up in the yard of the house, Jean did some tricks with the dogs while I did a little poop patrol.  Courtney titled this photo 'Twinkies' when Jean posted it on Facebook.  







Puzzle work was resumed, along with some lounging time.  And Ralph even took a good nap.  




Look at the face on Maggie.  She sure enjoys a good belly rub.  


We got the puzzle finished after starting libations, and then during dinner prep (which Jean did a fantastic job of) Cathy and I started another puzzle.  






No, we aren't gluttons for punishment, puzzle working is just a fun activity we enjoy doing while we chat.  






We got an Ava update while eating dinner, which by the way, was excellent eating.  This beautiful child is growing up so fast. 

Then we proceeded to work at figuring out how to set the fridge so it would keep food colder.  This was quite a frustrating, nearly one hour process.  UGH.

I got home after 8pm again and the cats were swarming in the kitchen.  I read in bed for a short while. 

Sunday 4/10 - It was 28° when I got up at 2:30 and remained that way until the sun came up.  I had planned to take my time getting out to the ranch, but I got word that the refrigerator did not appear to be working.  The freezer side was, so Cathy and Jean were rotating food in and out of it, to keep perishables cold.  I went up to our bunk room attic and dug out Britney's old college refrigerator. 

It had already really started warming up when I arrived at the ranch, and the two dogs were out enjoying the sunshine and some exercise with Jean and Cathy.  



We got the little dorm fridge set up and I was glad to see that it was working.  Meanwhile, Cathy and Jean were making progress figuring out the house refrigerator, and thought they had the temperature control finally set correctly.


Not only did Cathy enjoy some sunshine and puppy love, She also had fun meeting some of the chicks.

It was both a leisurely day and one in which I got some work done.  It got up to the mid to upper 60s and was sunny all day, so felt great.   



I had planned to finally get the stepping blocks put down outside the chicken coop. 
It took longer than it should have because I was interrupted by various things.  In this second photo I had started putting sod around the blocks to help hold them in place. 




One interruption was helping Jack and Mary with our horse trailer.  They came and got it so they could trailer their two horses here to ride in the Glade.  I also went in to refill my water and get a snack.  And I ended up working on the puzzle for a little bit. 




I filled sand between the blocks, but when I watered the sod, the sand washed down into the gravel.  I was done for now, but will add more sand. 






Mary and Jack returned with the trailer and their horses inside.  I was tempted to drop my 'rock' (block) project and go join them, riding Amiga, but I really wanted to get done with my project.  


Another welcomed interruption had been when Cathy and Ralph came out to take a self guided tour of the ranch in the gator.  After quick operating instructions, I sent them down the drive to Eli Ford to check out the neighborhood at the end of the cul-de-sac, because Jack and Mary were unloading horses down by the barn.  




When Cathy and Ralph had finished their tour (including the barn and shop), before parking the gator, we had them help Jean and I move the old dorm refrigerator out into the garage, because thankfully, it didn't appear we would need it as a backup for the one in the house.  Notice Pfieffer by Cathy's legs, peeking out of the gator.


Do you see what was in the tree out by Amiga and Zorro's pond in the side pasture?

When I was finishing up in the yard watering trees and grass seed, I was very sad to see that all my marigolds were dead.  I didn’t know that they couldn’t handle 28° weather.  Shoot!  I should have covered them.  Luckily, everything else we had covered did survive.




Joe had planned and organized a bonfire so we started getting set up and ready for that about 4 o’clock.  Patty helped me get the fire started and I decided to also start on libations.  Joe and the rest of the guests started arriving about 5pm, and that's when this Bald Eagle was spotted.  








In this photo is - Joe, Jack, Mary, Cathy, Jean, Shirley, and Patty.  Ralph (and I) are the only ones missing from it. 



We cooked the hotdogs and brats over the open flame and then had them along with some other good grub.  

Ralph came out and joined us after dinner.  I think we all enjoyed a nice evening around the fire, although the wind had picked up so it was a little cold.  But that just drew us closer to the warm flames.  And conversation never lacked.

We ended the party with cake for Shirley's birthday.  It was 8:20 (3rd night in a row) when I got home to feed the cats.

Monday 4/11 - My leisurely, relaxing morning of tea and blogging was cut short because I had to leave for the dentist at 7:30.  I was glad to finally be getting my chipped molar fixed (a crown put on it) but not looking forward to the 95 minute procedure.

The dentist experience wasn't so bad, and I did a little shopping afterwards.  Instead of going home, I decided to head to the ranch.  I wanted to drop off the new light I bought, pick up some leftovers Jean didn't want, and get the guest laundry (linens) to help her out and reduce our gray water output.

Cathy, Ralph, and Pfieffer had already hit the road for home.  I finished up the puzzle and was cooking lunch when Joe, Jack, and Mary dropped in.  They had just helped Joe transport (using Jack's truck) a trailer load of hay (63 bales).  Mary and Jack joined us for lunch. 

It was quite windy and had started raining just after the trailer of hay was parked in the shop.  Even Amiga and Zorro didn't want to come out of their shed.  




Our Japanese  maple out front, turning red with new growth.

It ended up being a much colder, and gloomy, rainy day than predicted. 
I had planned on going to the gym later in the day, but was feeling cold and tired when I got home, so wrapped up in a blanket and soon fell asleep on the couch.  I was not rockin' much of anything today.  Since yesterday (Sunday) wasn't a day of rest, today was.  I can be such a bum sometimes.  I did do two loads of laundry however.

Poker Joe was gone, the cats (and dog) got fed at their normal 5:30 dinner time, and I worked on this blog.  Storms also started moving into the area again.

Tuesday 4/12 - It stormed off and on through the night.  My weather app pinged several lightening alerts at various times during the pre-dawn hours.  Maggie stayed hiding in our closet late into the morning.  The dogwood outside my office window does not have as many blooms as usual.  Maybe it is still too early in the spring.  

Today was Ava's first Birthday, so I later got this photo up-date (and videos) of her sampling (destroying) her birthday cake.  I also thoroughly enjoyed all the photos of Ava's first year, posted by Val, Dan, and Yaneth reflecting on how much she has grown, changed, and experienced over the past year.

It stormed off and on all morning, and while at the gym working out, they even lost power for a few minutes. 
I had put on ranch work clothes after my shower, with the intent to go out and try to get some work done.  But the storms continued through lunch and it didn't stop raining until mid afternoon.  So I decided to just stay home and have an afternoon of R&R. 



When I sat in the living room to read, the cats and dog felt the need to see what I was up to and to get some lovin'.  At times I just had to put my book down and give them some attention, and I also dozed off awhile. 





Joe and I had salads for dinner and then enjoyed popcorn while watching Survivor and then another episode of Inventing Anna. 





Well, I didn't 'rock on' today, but still enjoyed the simple pleasures of relaxing here at home. 
This is a (late) photo of the spreader Joe rented last week.  He treated all fields with a weed killer that is safe for the horses to be on right away, but we had kept the boarded horses and our horses off the pasture for a day or two, just to be safe.

Wednesday 4/13 - I was out at the ranch by 10:00 and started right in on a rock project.  First I gathered several thick, flat rocks to choose from for a 'landing' at the bottom of one set of deck steps. 







I hauled the rocks up to the backyard and then started prepping the ground where I planed to put them. 
Once Jean was off work, she brought Parm out for a walk.  He came over to investigate the tractor.

I took a break to look in on the chicks with Jean.  They are growing so fast, and really like perching up on the sticks of the branch.  










Joe arrived with the refrigerator repair man 
soon coming after him (yep, the frig was still acting up).  While the repair man accessed the situation and diagnosed the problem, Joe started installing the light for the back door, deck, and two sets of stairs.


Wanting input on the light placement, my rock project was put on hold while I helped Joe.  Thankfully there was wood right behind the aluminum soffit that Joe could drill the mounting base into.  


The light was installed quite easily and quickly. 





Unfortunately, the refrigerator was not going to be so simple.  In fact, it was determined it needed to be replaced.  With all the parts and labor, it would cost us ⅔
the price of a new refrigerator, plus one of the parts we most likely needed, had been discontinued.


With the ground prepped and the rocks ready to pick from, I 'roughed' them into place, deciding just three rocks was all I needed. 










I had also planned to get this big rock slab set into the ground in front of the other set of deck steps so had Joe move it out of the way.  You can see where it had been and was starting to kill the grass. 


I directed Joe as he scooped up a big section of ground that was too high, and where I was planning to move the big rock.  I had him place the big section of sod in a low spot I had filled in with dirt earlier. 






Then when we went back to get another scoop with the tractor, we noticed this cord (Frontier cable is our guess) that had only been buried 2" deep.  Ugh!
Even though we don't use Frontier services, we wanted to keep the cable intact, so I would be digging the rest out by hand. 

I got to work getting the huge chunk of sod level (and watered) before it would dry up in the hot sun (which I was enjoying).  Meanwhile, Joe installed the door inside the Coop, that will keep the chickens out of the other side, which is used as our garden shed. 








Here is what it looks like open.  With this 'door' partly open and the outside door partly open, the chickens will be able to come and go into their coop without having access to the garden side of the shed. 


There were a few more interruptions to my work, but I was finally able to get the back step landing completed.  Here is a before and two after photos. 








Jean had gotten back from town and I gave her the news about the refrigerator.  To play it safe, we decided to set the little dorm refrigerator back up.  So I helped with that.



My project supervisor was ready to head home before I was.  She knew a storm was brewing. 








Oh, Jean and I also did some chick holding in an effort to tame them.  They are pretty wild, but did eat out of Jean's hand.  They just don't like to be captured. 





In this photo taken earlier in the day, Styx was wanting to play with this toy Monita drags around the house.  Monita carries the birdy in her mouth and Styx chases the stick. 






Maggie and I got home just after 7pm.  Poker Joe was gone, so I had leftover soup for dinner.

At bedtime, I played our usual game of fetch with Monita.  I throw a toy and she brings it back up on the bed.  Notice Styx in the background watching.  

Two big storms, with thunder and lightening, dumped lots of rain on us overnight. 


Thursday 4/14 - Some of us were meeting the vet at 9am, so I arrived at the ranch at 8:30.  With the strong winds, temperature in the 40's, and still some misty precipitation, I was cold.

Dr. Perry was running late (had to help with a goat delivery) so Bonnie, Susan, Patty, and I sat down at the barn chatting.  I walked out back to check our 4-wheeler trail.  It was flooded.

Zorro was first when Dr. Perry arrived.  He did much better than Amiga.  They both got their Coggins test and the spring 6-way shot.  We will follow up later with West Nile shots.  The frustrating (yet not surprising) news is that they are both very overweight.  UGH! 






So, now we need to put grazing muzzles on them both, remove their never ending supply of hay (the round bale) and give smaller amounts of it, and make their 'dry lot' less lush.

Jean took this photo later in the day of Zorro with his muzzle on.  Neither of our horses were at all happy about this new development (predicament).  




Patty had worked Zorro in the round pen after his shot, to get the blood circulating the vaccine so they don't feel as sore at the injection site.  Once Amiga was finished, I walked both horses around for awhile.  Notice Rio and Maslo in the background running around. 







These boys love to 'kick up their heals' and chase and play.  



Once finished with the vet, I needed to warm up, so had a hot bowl of soup for an early (10:40) lunch.  Joe arrived and I had him help me (using the tractor) shave a hump of ground off from next to where the rock was going.  I did not want the lawn around the rock to be higher than the rock.  



I spent the next few hours digging out the spot where the rock was going to go.  I had cut out a copy of it's shape from some old plastic, so I would have the 'hole' it was going in, the right size and shape, and in the right spot. 




I took a long afternoon break to go for a ride with Mary and Jean.  She and Jack came to get the trailer, and Jean went with them back to Wildwood, to help with their horses.  Meanwhile, I took Amiga down to the barn to get her ready to ride.  It was taking the others longer than I expected, so I put Amiga in her stall and went up to the house to check on the dogs and Zorro.  


Tito was hanging out with Maggie.  Zorro had gotten vocal when I first left with Amiga, but then settled down.  When he saw me coming up the drive without Amiga, he got very noisy again.  I brushed him and then went back down to the barn as Mary, Jack, and Jean were arriving with the Chipolte and Billy. 






They got unloaded and tacked up the two boys at the trailer, while I tacked Amiga up down at the barn. 






Then they walked the horses down to the barn.






It wasn't long, and we were on the trail, for a nearly four mile, 90 minute ride.  We enjoyed our lovely horses, the pretty scenery, and the perfect weather.  Jean and I took several photos. 




It was 5:15 when we finished our ride.  I had to scramble to take care of Amiga and Zorro, feed Maggie, and get tools put away up at the house (the wheelbarrow was so full of dirt I could barely move it, so I just left it out).  Jean had chores down at the barn, so also helped Mary and Jack get their horses loaded and on their way.

I had no energy left after dinner, so watched two hours of Survivor with Joe. 


Friday 4/15 - It was a very long, busy, productive day that started at 3am.  After I took my thyroid medicine, I couldn't get back to sleep.  So I worked on this blog.

I was at the gym at 7am, and had a decent workout, even though it was much earlier than usual for me.  






I was backing out of the drive at 9:30am to head into town, and noticed how pretty our Japanese Maple has gotten, leafing out practically overnight. 

I bought a new refrigerator and then all the food we would need for Easter Sunday dinner.  I also got a cute little outfit with bunnies on it for Ava's birthday party on Saturday. 






Quickly unloading the 'goods' and taking a PBJ with me, I was eating my lunch in the car, driving to the ranch at 12:15.  I had inquired as to Joe's whereabouts, and he sent me this photo.  He had gotten the huge, mostly buried tire, out of the lawn down by the shop.  Hurray!  Way to go!  Rock On Joe!

Jean and I were in the coop 'taming' chicks and discussing their enclosure when Joe found us.  She handed him Red to hold.  He was not very loving, but looked her over and commented about the chick's prehistoric (dinosaur like) looking legs.

I had done a little more work to get the hole ready for the huge rock, and then Joe and Jean helped me lift and scooch it over into place using shovels as pry bars.  Then Joe took a load of some of my extra dirt down to fill in the tire hole.  






Joe left for poker and Jean for her weekly shopping trip, and I worked on the rock.  I had poured water on it, to see how level it was, and it ran off toward the steps and house.  So I pried up the rock, and while sitting on the pry shovel handle, scooped dirt under the rock with a little hand trowel.  I got the two sides raised so water then drained away from the house and steps and out into the lawn.


Once I had the rock positioned to my liking, I started filling in around it with dirt.  This took some effort because the big clumps had to be broken down into 'spreadable' particles. 








I was hoping to use some of the sod we had removed, but it just wasn't going to let me get a smooth transition as I tried to level the ground for good drainage. 
So I hauled all the big slabs of sod that had covered this whole area, and put them on the bare ground in the yard by the grey water area that still needs work.


Jean had put the grazing muzzles on and let the horses out on the pasture, and in a short time, I noticed them both standing in the loafing shed looking dejected.  So I closed the gate to the pasture and took their muzzles off.  They just hate them.

Once Jean got back, we decided to exercise our two, fat Pasos.  We walked the short loop (1.3 miles) in a little over a half hour.  They even got to graze on some tall grass for a minute.



I must say, I was feeling pretty good about getting this rock set as a landing at the bottom of the steps.  Jean was feeling good about finishing another work week, so we enjoyed a drink together and relaxing in the sun room.  


I still had much to do, and although very tired when I got home at 7pm, I fed cats, cleaned litter boxes, wrapped Ava's gift, and started neatening up the house for company. 


I didn't last long and pretty much collapsed into bed at 9pm.  I had troubles falling asleep though because I was thinking of the fun weekend that would be starting first thing in the morning, and all I still needed to do in preparation for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment