Friday, June 17, 2022

Peaceful, Easy Feeling

I want that peaceful, easy feeling. 

The first thing in being at peace is to identify what is causing me angst.  At the moment, it's my horse.
Amiga being too fat still and her reoccurring lameness makes me worry.  I just want to be able to ride, really ride, for 3 or 4 hours at a time, and to be able to canter through a field or along a road, and to have my horse easily navigate hilly or rocky terrain which we have a lot of here in Tennessee.  So, in order to feel at peace, I need to address Amiga's issues. 





Putting Amiga in a stall at night with some hay and no way to eat more grass is one step to get her to loose weight, as is exercising her more (but that adds to her lameness issue).  Also, both require more time on my part, making me feel too stretched when I add it to ranch work, my pool job, workouts, and maintaining my house, yard, and pets here at home.  And what about time for family and friends?


I don't intend to sound like I am complaining, because I'm not.  I have so very many blessings I am so thankful for; and my life is so rich with family, friends, horses, pets, and two properties.  I am just journaling about this time of angst and the wish for that peaceful, easy feeling.

So, where there's a will, there's a way.  My dream of long rides can still be reached.  It just may need to happen differently than I visualize.  And some things I love to do may need to be put on hold, to give me time for horsing around. 




So, back to my problem with Amiga, I hope to get a two stall shed added up near the loafing shed in our side pasture or front pasture so I can close Amiga in (and sometimes Zorro or Robbie if needed).  Also, I could either give Amiga a lot more time to rest her sore leg or put her on Previcox continually so she can move without being lame.  Adopting Robbie was one solution, to have a second horse to ride, but with another horse, came a whole new set of problems as we are getting her adjusted to her new home and herd.



One good reason to 'down size'  →  less stuff  =  less worries.
I keep reminding myself of this, yet we bought a 15 acre property (with buildings and equipment) last year and now I have gotten another horse, which adds to the mayhem and workload.  And next I am trying to add another building at the ranch.  Then there will be a change in the fencing to make a better (real) dry-lot, and with that... who knows what else. 

Saturday 6/11 - This photo is actually from last week but I forgot to post it.  What a cute, fun, happy, silly, sweet child Miss Ava is.  Just seeing her enjoy life and playing makes me happy.  And I got that peaceful easy feeling this morning when this doe and two fawns showed up and entertained me for nearly half an hour. 










The mom was always on the look out for her little ones, but they ate and played, seeming to have no worries. 




Awh, to be young and carefree, without a worry in the world. 


Although, as they explored the yard with their natural curiosity, they also had an innate tendency to be somewhat cautious (video).

I had planned to do yard work all morning and by 9:30 was out picking up sticks, and then weeding and raking leaves from the front bed, and cutting out a dead shrub. 






In three hours, I hauled five wheelbarrow loads across the creek into the woods on the other side. 




I had an hour of time remaining to change, eat lunch, and pack a dinner before heading off to work at the pool. 

Jean had decided to try putting Robbie back in with Amiga and Zorro, and reported that there were no fights. 



Hearing of the tranquility in the field gave me a peaceful easy feeling.

Work was busy with the water being a perfect temperature, no clouds blocking the hot sunshine and the air temperature being quite warm. 

Jean sent me a video of our three horses that I took these two photos from.  They had been out on the side pasture and all three got into the loafing shed (12x18ft) together without a skirmish. 


We are both so happy to see them getting along so well.

You can see Amiga's butt and Zorro's nose in the first photo.  To see Robbie, who was back in the dark corner, I added a bunch of light to the photo.  Her fly mask can be seen.

It was 6:35 by the time I left the pool because I was busy up until five minutes before closing, so most cleaning chores couldn't be started until after 6pm.



Sunday 6/12 - I was so happy to see Gypsy Rose after her absence the past nearly three weeks.  She was laying out on Joe's lounge chair and quickly came to me to get breakfast.  She seemed skinnier than usual.  I have no idea where her other 'home' is and if that's where she had been the whole time. 










I met Jean and Shirley out in the pavilion for church and took this selfie before the service began. 


I spent the whole afternoon at the ranch.  Patty and Karen came out to horse around with us a little bit.  Our three equine were out on the side pasture and Robbie was keeping Amiga and Zorro separated from each other.  There was no 'fighting' involved, just subtle signals to Zorro to move on away. 





When Karen, Jean and I went to catch the horses (one each) Zorro went right to Karen but Robbie kept moving Amiga and herself away from Jean.  It took awhile, but once we each had a horse, we walked them down to the barn. 


Jean and I took Amiga and Robbie for a walk out on the back trails.  Robbie has never been out there, so we wanted to introduce the new trails to her while hand walking her.  And she had Amiga for 'moral' support. 

I had started out leading, and then Jean did once we got to Marmaduke.  Robbie did very well, only hesitating at the water, which we had expected. 

 

Patty and Karen remained at the barn with Zorro, brushing him and working him in the round pen.  Also, Wanda had been injured sometime after the morning feeding and they were trying to get her to eat and drink.  She could not jump up on her bench and did not want anyone near her.  (There goes my peaceful easy feeling, worrying about our barn cat now.) 





We four ladies all enjoyed some cold ice tea Jean made us while sitting in the shade of the front porch. 

Patty and Karen left and I did horse chores until Joe arrived after his afternoon of golf.  Using the auger on the back of the tractor, we dug a hole for a new gate post, because the corner post is hollow inside and will no longer support the hinge screws for the gate.  We finished up cementing the post into place and then Joe instructed Jean and I on how to clean the pool filter.  We are still trying to get the water cleared up and safe and desirable for cooling off in. 


On the way home from the ranch I again spotted this foal with its mom and another horse.  I stopped this time to get a photo of them.  What a cute little one.

The cool nights following the warm days makes sleeping with the windows open nice.  And after a busy day I never have troubles falling asleep.  It's when I wake in the middle of the night that I start stewing on concerns and can't get back to sleep.

 

Monday 6/13 - Rose again enjoying the lounge chair later in the morning.  She had greeted Maggie and I for our first (5am) morning walk and followed us down the street. 

After a good workout at the gym, I did a little 'protein loading' for lunch (ham, cheese, egg, and a glass of milk) before heading to the ranch. 




I helped Joe hang the gate on the post we had set in concrete the day before.  We will tie the old post to the new one, so the old one doesn't lean any more.  In this photo it looks like they are both leaning, but the new one is actually 'horizontally' level (whatever you call that).

Jean and I had planned to take Robbie and Amiga out on the trail for Robbie's first trail ride.  Robbie was not near as difficult to catch when it was just Jean out in the field with all three horses.




Robbie did whinny a bit until she realized I was following with Amiga.  But as Jean and I walked the two mares to the barn, Zorro then got upset and was whinnying to them.  We need to keep working on separation of each of these horses from the other two. 




Jean got Robbie warmed up (and listening) in the round pen first (video).  And then we hit the trail.  Amiga gave me more trouble (not wanting to go forward down the trail) than Robbie did Jean.  In fact, Robbie did a great job, even walking through water fairly willingly. 








It was 90° and quite humid, and it didn't help that the sun was directly overhead so there was little shade to be found.  Both our horses and we two girls got rather sweaty. 

After hosing off the two horses, we took them back up to their pasture.  Zorro was delighted to see them.  And then we three (including Joe who had been taking down fencing in the corral) all sat in the cool house and got re-hydrated.


I helped Jean with the chores and then just before I left for home, the two construction guys arrived to put up the loafing shed roof in the corral.  Just seeing them get the big heavy roof on the tractor was enough to make me a nervous wreck. 










I asked Jean and Joe to take photos and I prayed for their safety all the way home.  I do not want anyone getting hurt on our ranch (whether working or riding).


Drilling the holes for the back posts. 


 


Getting the roof attached to the back posts while supporting the front of the roof with the tractor.








Once the roof was temporarily supported, the tractor was backed in and the holes for the front posts were drilled. 












Then the roof was attached to the front poles.
A support fence rail was attached to the two back posts, concrete added to all four post holes, and they were done for the day.  Praise God no one got hurt. 



Meanwhile, I had showered, packed a dinner snack, and rushed off to Mirror Lake Blast.  Patty, Shirley, and Micki joined me.  We enjoyed the music and the second set had a lot more dancing songs, so Micki and I (along with all the others out on the dance floor) really worked up a sweat. 





Jean reported that Wanda finally showed up at dinner time, but would not let Jean within three feet of her.  She did eat some more canned food before running (hobbling) off though.  Since we could not catch Wanda, we would just have to let nature takes its course.  😢 





The full moon was rising as Mirror Lake Blast was coming to an end.

I walked Maggie as soon as I got home, and Rose followed us again.  I had to use a light for this photo because the full moon was not bright enough. 









After a long, busy day, and a fun evening of dancing, I was out in no time when I finally did hit the hay.


Tuesday 6/14 - Yesterday's news: Joe got a hole in one on #17 of
the Brae, 217 yards with his driver. 


Also, Dan had sent this absolutely precious (video) of Ava, set to the tune of 'Splish Splash'.  Oh My Goodness, how cute!
















Just look at that smile.  This girl is a real water baby.

My computer was running really slow and making me very frustrated but I was persistent so continued to sit and wait while downloading photos and working on my blog.  However the extra time at my computer made me later than I had planned to go to the ranch. 





I got to the ranch by 10:00 and started working with Joe, getting the sides put up on the loafing shed down in the corral.  He was working with the first side (corner seen in bottom left in photo) trying to figure the best way to put it up. 




When making a trip to the shop, I discovered that the second side would fit better on the end we were planning to put the first side on.  So Joe moved it out of the shop. 






The tractor sure does come in handy for all of this type of heavy work. 





And once we had this second wall to use, things started going together much better. 

When we got the first panel in place, as Joe was screwing the boards in to secure it better, I raked up dirt from the holes made from the four shed posts and filled in old fence post holes with it.


We are expanding the corral to include one of the two shade trees near it, so had taken down fencing from one whole side of the corral. 

The first side of the shed was finished and Joe needed (had planned) to take a break and come back later in the day because it was too hot mid-day.  (The record high for the day was 92° and I think we matched it.) 



The farrier arrived just after Joe left, and then Jan (who had planned to drop in for a visit) also pulled in.  So I took a break to fetch our horses, to get them trimmed, and then visit with Jan.

Jean led Robbie, I Amiga, and Jan had Zorro.  We arrived at the barn while Polly's horse Rio was getting worked on. 
Chris had broken his wrist a few weeks ago, so his apprentice Jace did most of the work.  


We had Jace file Robbie's feet first to get her used to a new farrier here at her new home.  Zorro and Amiga both got trimmed and Amiga got a new pair of shoes on her front, aluminum this time, with the hopes it would help with her lameness issue. 






Parm lying on the cool tile to try and beat the heat, before we had turned on the air conditioning. 

Jan came up to the house with Jean and I and we had a great little visit while enjoying cold ice tea and air conditioning. 






When Joe arrived, Jan headed out and I got back to work helping Joe.  We got the second side up on the shed, and the fence in back of it put back together.  And I finished filling in all the old post holes. 




Above is a view of the front and the second photo shows the back side from on the driveway.  We need to find and add a few more boards to finish the sides and by winter we will put boards up the back side. 

Below is a photo at the start of the day, and then one at the end of the day.



My day at the ranch had not ended.  I still needed to do chores and feed our three horses.  After mucking the loafing shed, I got it set up for Amiga overnight, putting in more hay and a second bucket of fresh water.  (We HAVE to limit Amiga's food intake and the 'dry lot' just has too much grass, even though it remains eaten to the ground.) 


I had also planned to clean and fill the stock tank with fresh water, so Zorro came over to supervise me.  He loves drinking out of the hose, so I felt obliged to let him drink from it. 


It was nearly dark when I got home, and I was drop-dead exhausted.  A shower did little to revive me so I skipped cleaning litter boxes and called it a day.

Wednesday 6/15 - The three amigos or the three stooges… depending on the day!  Or as Jean said 'Los tres Amigos!!'  We love all three of them!!  They were having a peaceful, easy morning.  Me, not so much.  My computer would not open any of my Internet sites because it was running so slow it would time out and not open the program.  Also copying and pasting photos was taking forever.  Once Joe got up I had him look at my computer and after about a half hour he fixed some problems and it was running much better.  However I was about out of time and had to shut down and get over to Mickey’s house to watch Rita for a few hours. 








I got back home from Micki and Rita's at 11:00 and saw Rose on the deck in the shade of a bench.  It still looked really hot out there.  And it was, nearly breaking the record high again.  And the humidity was 70% which made it seem so much worse.
 

Joe had staked out where the new fence for the corral was to go, and sent photos to get my 'okay' on it.  I had to work at the pool all afternoon, so did not want to go to the ranch, because in this heat, it would zap my energy.  Also, I had chores to do at home that I had not gotten done the day before, and I wanted to work on my blog since I got so little done earlier in the morning. 












The pool was packed and I was busy all day.  Lots of traffic in and out of the restrooms kept me hopping with the mop.  And I didn't go out around the deck as often as usual because it was just too hot. 


I helped Diana prepare for a private pool party that was starting at 7pm, so it was 6:30 by the time I headed home, again exhausted.  This little bunny was having a peaceful, easy evening near my parked car. 

Poker Joe was gone so the dog (and cats) were glad to see me, to give them dinner.  It was a short evening before going to bed.


Thursday 6/16 - I went straight out to the ranch after a very hot five hour morning shift at the pool. 

Joe was there waiting for me.  I helped him drill the corner post for the corral so we could get it set in concrete.  We hit a few rocks which slowed us down with the auger, but otherwise it went fairly quickly.

I worked at putting welded wire fencing over the chicken coop window we had taken the screen out of.  We want to keep the chickens in, predators out, but allow for the wren to get to her nest.

While Jean was watering everything, she noticed that our fruit trees are being consumed by the Asian beetles.

I enjoyed sitting in the shade as I worked with the wire fencing for the window, and watching our three horses, who are getting along really well now.  It gave me a peaceful, easy feeling.  

From the ranch I went back to the pool to attend Diana's pool party.  She had games and fun activities planned and I had a great time, staying longer than intended. 
So it was after 10:00 when I went to bed. 


Friday 6/17 - After my usual morning routine, which actually started about a half hour later than normal, I made a point to get out to the ranch as quick as possible because Joe and I had planned to drill with the auger the rest of the post holes for the corral enlargement project.  Joe was about 15 minutes ahead of me and had first started on getting ready to put holes in for the eight trees I wanted to get planted.  We knocked this job off very quickly because the ground was easy to dig and the holes didn’t have to be very deep because the bushes are just in one gallon pots.  The day before, Joe had fenced this area off with electro-braid.

Then we went down to the corral to continue drilling holes.  We started on the hardest hole first because the oak tree had roots extending in the direction of that line of fencing we were adding.
 

The auger got stuck and we had to get a pickax and chainsaw to try to cut the roots and free the giant drill.  We had made very little progress on this hole.

Once we had the auger unstuck, we went to dig the next hole over (having to move it slightly from it’s calculated spot because of more roots).  Again we hit some roots, not as big, and we figured out how to back up and down on the auger so that it wouldn’t get too stuck if it caught on roots. We still could only get this hole about 12 inches deep. 


The third hole was a little easier, but still didn't go quickly, nor was it deep enough because of rocks and some roots.  This photo was taken after we had quit for the day.  We had to hand dig these three holes and still they were not deep enough.  (It's why the poles, not permanent yet, are leaning so much.)  And also, we had not been able to evenly space the holes. 





Next we moved down to the fence line along the drive and started working east towards the corner post. These holes went much quicker but we had a bit of a disagreement on distance between posts and by the time we got to the corner, the last two post were only 6 1/2 feet apart whereas all the others were nearly 8 feet apart.  Oh well, it wasn't going to be perfect.

We finally got all the holes dug as a little storm was blowing in and Joe was ready to call it a day.  It got very windy and dark and there was even some thunder.  So after I picked up at the corral, I went into the house and worked a puzzle with Jean waiting for the storm to kind of blow over.  It never did rain.

I ended up not having time to plant trees, so just got a bin ready for mixing peat moss and dirt in. 

Jean headed to town for her weekly shopping trip and I was off to work at the pool. 


The temperature had dropped to 80° and it remained cloudy so it was a very slow shift to begin with, with only three customers the first 2½ hours.  I nodded off a couple of times fighting to stay awake.  By 4:30 the sun started to come out and more people showed up. 

I was kaput for the day (and week) and decided not to join friends for dinner and karaoke.  Sheesh, I'm getting old.  And it was actually lights out at 8pm, I just couldn't stay awake any longer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment