Friday, June 24, 2022

The Horse Connection

Baxter Black said - "It simply gives me a direct connection to one of the most ancient, mutually beneficial inter-species relationships on the planet."






"
Yet when books have been read and reread, it boils down to the horse, his human companion, and what goes on between them." -
Walter Farley  



Winston Churchill -
“There is something about the outside of a horse, that is good for the inside of a man." 











This week started out much cooler than last week, so more time was spent riding and connecting with our horses. 

Saturday 6/18 - Wide awake at 1am, after five hours of sleep, I read out in the living room for a few hours until I got sleepy enough to go back to bed.  Mama Styx was napping at the other end of the sectional. 

Rose has been leaving me her kill on a regular basis.  This is the third chipmunk left up on our deck.  What a great hunter she is and even though these creatures are cute and fun to watch, there are way too many and with all the holes they have made in our yard, they are becoming classified as varmints in my mind.  So I am okay with a thinning out of their population.
 

I had a decent workout at the gym, despite it being five days since my last one.  I hit Food City on the way home and soon was on my way to the ranch, eating lunch in the car as I drove.  Yvonne was down at the barn doing her own farrier work on Maslo when I arrived. 








Joe's golf had been cancelled, so we got to work on the new and enlarged corral, setting the fence posts and putting up the rails. 


Because of all the roots we hit and the shallow holes, these posts on the east side had to be set in concrete, so we needed to wait to add rails another day. 







Jean made this cute little ramp for the chickens so they could use it to get up to their nesting boxes. 


And then Jean tried to coax them to go up the new ramp. 


Our hens are not laying eggs (sitting in a nest) yet, so they have time to learn how to get up the ramp. 






Once Joe was ready to quit on the corral fence, Jean and I fetched Robbie and Amiga, leaving Zorro to cope with being by himself. 






As we walked our horses down to the barn to tack up, Polly arrived to ride Rio, so we all decided to ride out together. 

Right off the bat, we came across this big black rat snake.  None of the horses were at all bothered by it. 


The water holes were drying up so they were a non issue for Robbie.  And we did see a group of turkeys two different times (may have been the same flock).  Again, Robbie handle the noise and movement in the woods very well. 





Most of the back roads of Fairfield Glade are overgrown with grass (video) and there were several trees hanging out in the road we had to navigate around.  At one spot we each had to get off and walk our horse under a downed tree.

All in all it was a very good ride.  Amiga was quite willful at times, not very well connected to me, but more concerned about getting back to the barn or walking on Rio or Robbie's tail.  So I had to do a lot of correcting. 


It was close to chore time when we got back.  I headed home and Jean later sent this photo of Amiga in the stall for the night, not happy about being unable to join Zorro and Robbie in the 'dry lot.'







I was really in the mood for a big juicy hamburger, but it was late and I was tired, so Joe and I got carry-out at Reds and went to the Grove to listen to the outdoor concert.  The food was better than the music, but it was pleasant to be eating outside and watching the crowd. 
  

Sunday 6/19 - Happy Father's Day!  Joe was going to golf later in the morning and we three girls (Jean, Patty and I) had planned to go for an early ride.  Jean and I got a head start and walked our three horses down to the barn.  Patty finished tacking Zorro when she arrived at 8:15.  

 




Jean and Patty got their horses warmed up (basically establishing the horse and rider connection) and I soon joined them.  Right away I could tell that Amiga was going to be difficult again. 







Well, at least Amiga doesn't do this.  But once I am in the saddle, she will back up towards the barn instead of going forward out to the trail.  So, I got off and hand walked her out to the back road as I have had to do the last several times. 
I need to work with her one-on-one and re-establish our connection. 

 



We had a great ride, going almost three miles. 
It was nice and cool and the flies weren't too bad. 

As the sun got higher in the sky, it did warm up some, but was still quite pleasant.

 




Mid-day when the sun is right overhead, it hits the roads and can be quite warm. 






Jean and Patty stopped their horses to pose for a photo at the corner of Marmaduke and Beachwood. 





We were back and un-tacked by 10:30 and Patty had to scoot off for an appointment.  I rode Amiga up to her pasture, bareback with just the halter and lead rope while Jean finished up with Robbie and Zorro.  Amiga was rushing at first so I was circling her here when Jean took the photo. 






I was doing mucking chores after Jean and I walked Robbie and Zorro back up to their pasture, and then Dale, the hay guy, arrived with just ten minutes warning to Joe.
  We were so glad to have him finally come, but now Joe was going to be late for his golf outing. 


Jean took this photo of Joe and I talking with Dale.  We were discussing the 'job' and were not happy with him, because he had said he was going to do square bales, but now he said he only does round bales, which we do not want! 







We decided to go ahead and have Dale cut and bale our field (and Jim's).  There was a minimum $700.00 charge (or $40 per bale if we got more than 17 bales) and our field was only going to get 4 or 5 bales (so we added Jim's to the job).  However, we were not happy about the round bales.


Since Joe was basically stuck at the ranch waiting for hay to be cut, we decided to work on the corral fencing. 


 






At least the day was fairly cool and we were working in the shade. 


We had troubles agreeing on some of the building strategy and measurements, but both of us just wanted to get this project done.  The hill and then leveling ground mid-way on the east side was what was giving us some troubles.  And the uneven length between posts here because of hitting too many roots. 






But we got all the rails up.  These last two photos were taken at the end of the day.  We only put in one screw at each post because Joe could come back later on his own to add more screws. 



Once Dale finished cutting the front pasture, doesn't it look nice, he moved to Jim's pasture. 
Joe helped him get through gates, and since Joe had missed his tee time, he decided he would just play the back nine, catching up with his buddies later. 





So, this is what had given us the additional time to finish putting up the rail on the corral. 
And, Joe was able to later join his golfing buddies.  





I had had a PB&J for lunch so was now ready to finally get my eight Green Giant Arborvitae planted.  With just one gallon pots I thought it would go much quicker, but I was having to add soil to the too deep holes and was mixing it with peat moss to make it more fertile. 


Jean came out to check on me when I was a little over half way done.  Then I stepped back and got a photo of five of the eight trees planted. 









Jean offered to make us dinner a little later, and I jumped right on this invitation. 


Once I got all eight trees planted and watered well, I went to feed our three horses. 


Here is a good look at the row of trees from both angles. 



Boy was I exhausted, sun burnt, but happy to get this project finished. 


Jeans dinner was extremely delicious, and not just because I was so hungry.  I even enjoyed a beer with it. 

Before heading home, I had to take water and hay to Amiga and finish putting away my tools. 
Zorro and Robbie were both peacefully grazing, while poor, overweight Amiga was 'trapped' in the loafing shed. 













As I was leaving, there were three bunnies hopping around along the edge of the drive.  (I circled one in yellow that was hard to see unless it moved.)

It was almost 8:00 when I got home.  There was little time or energy left to feed cats, shower, clean litter boxes, take out trash, water houseplants, and download the day's photos.  But I got it all done before 'crashing' into bed at 9:30.


Monday 6/20 - Monita was in the corner under my desk as I sat here much longer than usual because I was getting this blog started and putting in photos and text about the weekend.

Rose has been greeting me every morning and every evening, not necessarily for the food, but for the attention.  Later in the morning I watched her, from my desk, hunting chipmunks.   







Just before leaving for the gym, I noticed Rose in the cool of the shade under the bench near where Joe was lounging in the sun.  She is a smart kitty.

I did not get to the gym until 11:30 and started on the rowing machine as usual, to warm up.  After twelve minutes, I had no more motivation (or energy it seemed) than when I had arrived.  I think I over-did it out at the ranch the day before.  So I skipped my weight workout, but to make my trip to the gym worthwhile, I did the elliptical for forty minutes. 





When I arrived at the ranch, Joe was there waiting for the hay guy to rake/flip the cut hay.  I helped him get two boards up on the loafing shed to kind of finish this wall.  There are still gaps at each corner, but the structure is not square, so finishing the corner would be a lot of work and trouble.  This will just have to do.


I just about finished securing this wire over the window of the chicken coop.  Now the window can safely be left open overnight without predictors getting in.  I would love to paint this building and our cinder-block wall a lighter (old barn board looking) gray. 







Joe has been working hard at cleaning the pool.  Today he decided to enjoy the fruits of his labor.  The water is still not clear, but at least it isn't green.  He was still waiting on the hay guy (who never came).  This is so typical in these parts - hard to get reliable help. 


I watered all my new transplants and watched Jean collecting items to build 'trail' obstacles down in the barn yard area.

I left the ranch by 4:15 to get home, ready, and to Mirror Lake Blast by 5:15.  Patty, Shirley, Joe, and Micky all came to join me. 




Top Tier was a new band to this venue, so we didn't know what to expect.  Well, they were great.  I danced a lot and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  I was connected to the music rather than a horse.  LOL


Tuesday 6/21 - Happy Summer Solstice. 

The cat/dog connection.  Maggie is never quite sure what to do when the cats are lovin' on her.  Babe especially loves Maggie. 










I was going to go to the ranch to work with Amiga before it got hot, but since I didn't do my weight workout the day before, I made myself go to the gym. 

Joe met the hay guys at the ranch during the middle of Jean's 7-11 work shift.  She took this photo of the baler through her office window.  I love the lace curtain and pot of flowers included in the picture. 










We hadn't realize that they planned to rake and then bale the hay all at the same time.  Here is the guy running the rake (ahead of the baler).  And below a photo of the two at work. 










This close-up of the baler shows Mama's memorial bench in the foreground.  In the background from left to right is the shop, boarders loafing shed, barn, and the new little run-in shed in the corral. 


By the time I arrived at the ranch (11:15), they were done baling, and in the process of loading the ten big, large round bales from Jim's field.  And Joe was busy taking the smaller round bales from our front pasture down to the shop where he was storing them. 





Joe had taken this photo earlier, and reported that we got twelve round bales off the front pasture.  These are smaller bales, ones that our tractor can handle.  I really didn't want round bales, so with reluctance okayed the storage of them in our shop.  With the drought we are experiencing, hay may be in short supply and the price rising.  

As I was mucking the loafing shed and dry lot, the workers (having finished) drove through and Joe then got the electric fence reconnected and back on.


Joe had left one of the small round bales up in the dry lot and Jean was helping remove baling twine from it.










Our other eleven bales were now neatly stored down in the shop.  Hopefully these smaller round bales won't get moldy and will be easier to handle than the larger ones we had had troubles with.


Finally, work was 'done' for the day and Jean and I could horse around now.  I had planned to work with Amiga alone (without other horses to distract her) so I grabbed Zorro to ride with Jean, who had Robbie.  I didn't take any photos of our ride, but Jean got some of Zorro and I. 


Zorro was a very good boy, but he is definitely a different ride than Amiga.

 


Jean had her 'map our route' application on.  We went three miles in just under an hour. 





The day had really heated up, and riding just after high noon did not give us much shade.  Robbie had gotten much sweatier than Zorro, so while Jean hosed her off, I exchanged horses, putting Zorro out and getting Amiga. 





I did some ground work with Amiga in the round pen, and by the time I got on her at the picnic table, Jean had put Robbie out with Zorro (both can be seen in this photo).

Jean took another photo before heading up to the house, and I then worked with Amiga. 




My horse was doing her recent usual 'refusal to go forward' unless we were headed towards Zorro and Robbie.  And she would back up when I gave her more leg and a tap with my crop.  I did not want to smack her hard with the crop, and was willing to wait her out.  But boy was it hot in the sun.  I also started backing her when she started to back, making her go backwards more than she had wanted.  Then more pressure from my legs, asking her to go forward and big praise with every forward step she took.  After probably half an hour, she finally decided to 'give in' and go where I wanted - through the gate and out onto the trail.  We were finally sort of connected.  At this point, I stopped, got off her, and walked her back to the barn.  We were done for this session (but with more to come).


This is the meal I fixed once home, all vegetables and most seasoning from our garden (summer squash, red onion, kale, parsley, and sweet basil). 


I am always so thankful when I hit the hay each night.  Glad for a comfy bed to rest my tired body.


Wednesday 6/22 - This is a cute wrens nest at Micki and Rita's house.  I was there from 8-10:30 watching Rita while Micki played pickle-ball.

I went to the ranch to water all the trees and fill the stock tank.  And then once I sat down in the house for a few minutes to cool off, I ended up taking a nap.



Jean woke me, asking what time I had to leave for work.  Yikes, I had to scurry to change and get there on time. 

The pool was hot and crowded.  I like it busy, but the heat did take its toll on me.  I am thankful that we can get in the water to cool off.  Also, with the office now air conditioned, I went in there to cool off too. 

With poker Joe gone, there was playtime with the cats when I went to bed.
 

Thursday 6/23 - Rose keeping a watchful eye on the backyard critters as she rested on the deck bench. 

I worked another hot pool shift from 9-1:30.  We were packed and I kept busy, which I love. 




Jean reported that the official Ava Way sign was finally put up by the road department.  Now we need to take down the temporary one Jim put up.

I showered at the pool and drove straight into town for some much needed shopping.  My first stop though was to get my hair trimmed. 




Once my car was loaded with bags of feed (for the deer, chickens, horses, dog, cats, and birds) fencing, and household supplies, I headed to dinner where I met Patty, Judy, Karen, and Carol. 

While at dinner, Jean reported that Wanda had showed up at the barn.  She seemed half starved, but was walking better.  We were all elated. 





After dinner, we (except Karen) proceeded to Stone Memorial High School where Jean joined us and we listened to a great band concert that Shirley performed in. 
Left to right (Judy, Patty, Jean, myself, and Carol). 



I included two photos because the first did not catch Patty at her best and in the second, Carol is making a silly face.  It is hard to get a photo of five goofy girls, without one of them looking wacky.  LOL

Once home, I fed five (if you count Rose) hungry cats, unloaded all the supplies for our Flossmoor house, cleaned litter boxes, and got in my jammies.  I didn't make it to bed until after 10pm.


Friday 6/24 - I was actually at the gym by 8:30, but it took longer than usual to get energized or pumped up.  And then I ran out of steam earlier than usual.  UGH!  But I got my whole workout finished. 

Stevie has the right idea for spending time.
Awh, the lazy days of summer.

But my days have been anything but lazy.  Between going to the gym, getting pressing ranch work done, riding, doing daily chores, and working at the pool... there has been no time to relax (except my 2 to 3 hour morning routine sipping tea here at my computer). 




Once done at the gym, I hurried home, put on ranch clothes, packed pool work clothes and a dinner, made a quick lunch I ate in the car, and drove to the ranch. 

Joe had taken down the old Ava Way sign so now this new sign looks much better.  I unloaded bags of feed and other supplies at the barn tack room, chicken coop, our feed room, and the ranch house.  Then I did the much needed (every day in this heat it is necessary) watering of all our new trees (18 total). 






When down at the barn, I noticed Wanda resting in the shade.  I have decided not to approach her because she just scurries away, and to let her come to me on her own terms when she is ready. 

After a hot, busy shift at the pool, I was drop-dead tired and barely got my chores done here at home before hitting the hay at 8:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment