Friday, October 7, 2022

Avoidance

Avoidance behaviors are any behavior people use to escape or distract themselves from difficult thoughts, feelings, and situations.  Trialering my horse has been my most recent (yet long standing) nemesis.  So, in order to get over my fear, I have tried to face it more.  I hope the more I do it, the better I'll get and the less anxious I'll become about it.  I really fear there will be another mishap, especially during the off loading process because Amiga gets so nervous she bolts backwards off the trailer, whether we are ready or not.  Often I ask myself, is this really worth it? 

I have spent a great deal of time (and money) on different trailers and on training Amiga at trailer loading and off loading.  We have come a long ways so I don't want to quit yet.  And the fun and adventure that await at different places to ride, camp, and explore; outweighs the trouble it is and the anxiety it creates to trailer to other horse trails. 

There are times when avoidance is beneficial (healthy detachment), but most my research indicated that it's best not to avoid difficult situations.  We should avoid avoidance behaviors such as: denial, distraction, procrastination, addictions, venting, or even resigned acceptance.  Aristotle said: "There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." I think this holds true to lots of things we try to avoid.

Saturday 10/1/22 - Oh my goodness, it is already October.  There is just no way to avoid the passage of time and the coming of winter. 

I did get my Ava fix when Vale posted several photos of Ava pumpkin picking at the Walden Pumpkin Farm pumpkin patch.  She is such a cute little pumpkin! 










Right off the bat I was avoiding going to the gym by sitting here at my computer, playing another game late into the morning.

My workout went well, and I felt energized by it, so I don't know why I tend to drag my feet about going, except it is hard work. 


The forecasted rain was reduced to almost 0%, so my plans for lounging around the rest of the day seemed like being lazy, and it was decent weather out for getting outside work done. 
Joe was game for helping me clear trees off trails (the back roads of FFG) so we headed to the ranch together, just after 1:00. 

We hopped in the gator, collected chain saws and big clippers, and out through the back gate we went. 


We drove on the back roads (video) going as far north as Lake Malvern.  We scouted out a good place to park the trailer and as we drove back to the ranch, we cleared tree branches where the road was rather narrow or low over-head. 





Joe ran the chain saw for the big trees and I used the clippers on anything else I could cut through them with.

At some point, Joe got a message from Therese, to not forget Patty's birthday.  Well shoot, why hadn't Facebook notified me?  So Joe quick made arrangements for us to take her out to dinner. 




Any excuse to eat out I say.  And we had hearty appetites after two + hours of working. 

We decided on Spike's, partly with my suggestion because Jeff Allen was playing there and one of my dancing buddies at the gym encouraged me to go. 


Happy Birthday Patty!


Joe and Patty were not game for a late night out, so I drove separate from them.  Dinner service was very slow, but we enjoyed our beverages, conversation, and the music.  And the food was good, so worth waiting for.

Joe and Patty left after the first set and I joined dancing buddy Patty and her group of lively friends. 

When Jeff wrapped it up at 9pm, I headed home. 

Sunday 10/2 - A pack of yelping coyotes woke me at 2am.  Getting up to see how close they were, use the restroom and take my thyroid pill, I was unable to get back to sleep.  I was thinking about the safety of Rose and the planned trailering for the day. 

I was hoping to get sleepy and take a nap sometime after getting up so early.  Jokers to the left of me, clowns to the right, here I am on the couch with my kitties.

Maggie would be right up here with me if she could, but that is against the rules.

It was a gloomy, cold, windy day, so about 11:30 I laid on the couch, sipping hot chocolate, reading, and snuggling under blankets and cats.  Sleep finally came. 

I took about a 45 minute nap and woke with the realization that the day was slipping away and I needed to get going!


 

I had made a plan to trailer this route, which Joe and I checked out and cleared the day before. 






Joe was willing to trailer us, dropping us off and taking the trailer back to the ranch, and helping with loading and unloading.  Amiga rushed off again, but this time I took a minute to reload and get her to step quietly back off the trailer (which she did on the third try).  


I even got Joe to take a photo of us. 

The afternoon remained cool and overcast, with occasional rays of sunshine warming us.  In the woods, we were also out of the wind. 






We had a leisurely ride, enjoying the day, nature, and our horses.  Robbie had started coughing fairly early on, which concerned us, so we didn't want to push the pace. 




We made several little stops during our ride.
Here at Lake Malvern we took some photos. 


Robbie was a bit concerned about this large body of water and what our intentions for it were. 





Jean assured Robbie we would not be going in.



What a silly horse.  She likes to avoid water at all costs... she will
flat out refuse to step in a puddle or creek, try to jump over it, or take Jean into thick brush to go around a water hazard. 
  


Most of our route was in the woods, away from civilization, but we did pass a few houses.  This is Ellie's
(a friend from the pool) beautiful house.  She and her dog came out to say hello. 









Her young dog had never seen horses before, so was quite curious. 



Nearing home, the horses picked up the pace.  Jean noticed the clearing Joe and I had done, but in this photo was pointing out some trash.  It is very aggravating that contractors (mostly lawn care people) dump debris out on these vacant dirt roads.

Zorro was glad to see us back, but had been happily hanging out with Cowboy.

Here is our trail map.  We covered 5.3 miles in 2:02 hours. 







Before doing chores for our three horses, I warmed up in the house with hot tea, and worked on the puzzle. 

I arrived home after 6:00, did all my domestic chores, and warmed up and cleaned off in a long hot shower.  Then Joe and I watched Survivor before I hit the hay early.
  

Monday 10/3 - Do you see what I saw down in the backyard?  While sitting here at my computer every morning, this is my view.  I always enjoy watching the wildlife that comes through, usually in search of food or water.  Below is a closer look to help you spot it.







I did not do anything very note worthy all day, except dinner at Karen's, so only took photos of the backyard and of dinner. 


Below is my last yard photo, with the red tail hawk right in the middle, if you had troubles spotting it in the first two photos. 
 

After again spending too much time here at my desk (which has been the trend lately) I went to the gym.  My workout went well and I returned home for a late 1:00 lunch.  I spent the rest of my afternoon shopping (driving to and from town, fighting traffic in construction zones, going from store to store trying to find the things I needed).

Because of  labor shortages and supply-chain issues, there simply aren't enough people to make the goods, move the goods and sell the goods.  So I was unable to get several necessary items. 


My frustrating afternoon soon became a delightful evening.  Karen had Patty, Joe, and I over for dinner.  This morning, Patty and Joe had helped Karen cut down a tree in her yard.  I was not deserving, but invited to partake also.  Great food and company made the woes of shopping diffuse.

I finished unpacking what I was able to buy once we got home from Karen's.  And it was the usual bedtime.

Tuesday 10/4 -  I escape doing yard or house work by procrastinating, sitting at my computer too long, and then I am out of time and have to get to the ranch. 









It was still fairly late when I arrived and Jean was just getting off work.  She took Parm for his walk and Maggie joined them. 


My first order of business was to unload some shavings into both of our sheds.  Joe pulled the trailer into the aisle way and then took my car to go get a Covid test before his cruise. 








I noticed that the seed I had spread along the shed had germinated, but it was quite dry and needed watering.  I also needed to put down more seed, but had run out.


Once I had moved the trailer out of the paddock area, I let the horses back in.  They wanted to go into the sheds, but I had closed the gates to keep them out so they wouldn't 'dirty' them.  I was dodging the task of having to muck them again.  So the horses congregated in the aisle where there was shade. 






Jean had made a trip into town and once she got back, we went for a ride.  She gave Robbie another day off and rode Zorro, who needs more exercise. 





Amiga and Zorro both did well, and we had a nice little ride, going 3.2 miles in an hour and 18 minutes.  Maggie also did great, especially when we encountered two other dogs and three different people.

Once back and un-tacked,
I got busy watering all the trees and shrubs I have planted because it has been quite dry, and is supposed to get hotter. 




Meanwhile, Jean worked with Robbie in the pond.  It is funny that Robbie doesn't mind it so much, but out on the trail, she doesn't want to go near water. 






I fed our three horses, finished mucking the paddock area, and then went into the ranch house to collect my stuff to head home.  I stalled the going home (where my daily pet and house chores waited) by working on the jigsaw puzzle with Jean.

When it comes to bedtime, avoidance is never an issue.  By day's end, I am always ready for sleep.
 

Wednesday 10/5 - Today's only photos are of our golf outing with Mary and Jack.

The house was cold when I got up and I quickly realized that the heat pump was not working properly.  It would run for one minute and then shut down. 
It had been sluggish last spring and we had done the avoidance thing, since winter was about over.  Well, Joe called Crossville Heating and Cooling who came out at noon, after I did my gym, shower, and grocery run.






The bad news is that we needed a new fan and circuit breaker, which was priced at over $1200. 
The good news is that because we’ve had Crossville Heating and Cooling do yearly maintenance on our unit (we bought from them in 2014) the fan is covered by their warranty.  So parts and labor only cost us a little over $300.  But, we are going to have to wait a few days before the fan comes so it’s gonna be a little cold at night and early mornings.

I moved my big plant from the front porch, inside.  After some cleaning out there, I did a little decorating for Halloween. 


Then Joe and I met Mary and Jack at Druid where we played the front nine.  I wish I had taken a better photo of Mary and Jack.  It was wonderful to see them, good to be out in the warm sun, but there was a great deal of distraction due to a major 'horse issue' at Wildwood Stables (I wished I could help with) and they had a big decision about making a bid on a house in the Glade.

Joe headed to poker after golf and I came home to fret over several things currently on my mind.  I took a sleep aid to help my brain shut down for the night. 
 

Thursday 10/6 - I puttered around the house doing this and that, including frying onions and cocktail weenies for the night's party.

I got to the ranch just as Jean got off work.  She took these photos of Maggie really eyeing the chicken (Goldie) I was holding. 


Recently the dog has pretty much ignored the chickens, but my holding one so close to her was more than she could handle.  She was quivering all over.




Jean and I were looking over the girls as I was again trying to learn their names, and we were deciding which three hens we would be giving to Carol. 



Then I got busy with chores, switching out the dehumidifier for the heater in the tack room, and some other change in season preparations.  I tried to catch a photo of Cowboy resting his chin on Bonnie's shoulder, but he moved as soon as I pulled out my camera. 





I was also preparing the corral for the coming of Jack and Mary's horse, Mesa.  We had agreed to 'house' her for a few nights until they figured out a game plan for her, since Wildwood Stables was no longer available to them.  Jean and I decided we needed the larger (100 gal) tank in the front pasture, and switched it out with the 30 gal tub we took to the corral. 


I also drained, cleaned, and re-positioned the large stock tank by our feed room.  While filling it and the 100 gal tank in the front pasture, I supervised Joe as he used the tractor to dig this ditch along the back of our old loafing shed. 






Later I worked with shovel, hoe and rake to finish digging and clearing out the ditch and to bank the dirt along the back of the shed wall.  Hopefully this will keep rain water from seeping under the wall into the shed.  Now if we would just get rain (It's been over two weeks) to test all my drainage systems up here.

Jack and Mary borrowed our trailer and brought Mesa to the ranch.  Judy, one of the ladies who is leasing the horse from Mary, is seen loving on her in this photo. 

Once Mesa was settled into the corral area, we headed up to the ranch house to relax around the fire; eat, drink, and be happy; and to enjoy old friends and get to know some of our new friends (and as it turns out, maybe potential boarders). 



Our three horses were considerably interested in 'the new girl in town' and stood looking down at Mesa in the corral for quite some time.







A little later Jean caught Amiga and Robbie lovin' on each other, something that doesn't happen very often. 






It was a beautiful night, perfect for a bonfire, and we all enjoyed the collection of finger foods that people brought. 

 



I can't get the photo below to move up into this space!  I could avoid these frustrating and time consuming issues by just quiting blogging altogether.


In attendance at our bonfire 'party' were Joe, Patty, Jean, Jack and Mary, Judy and John, Dave and Dawn, Karen, Shirley, and Carol.






Friday 10/7 - I decided to skip the gym this morning, not an avoidance issue, but in order to have more time for a longer ride.   Also, with the idea to trailer the horses before Joe left in the SUV for the week, we had to load up around noon. 










We had no troubles loading up, other than several distractions in the barnyard area. 
Bonnie had finished a lesson with Cowboy and their trainer left, the port-a-potty pump truck came and went, and Mary and Jack were there to move supplies and feed Mesa before scrambling off to a meeting, and Bonnie was last to leave, following us out.


We off loaded at Marie's house, with Amiga rushing as usual, but not until I asked her to step back.  Marie came out to greet us and take our picture.









It was a georgous day weather wise, and the fall colors were really getting pretty. 









I got reprimanded for being on my phone instead of looking at nature's beauty, but I was trying to figure out our route. 






Jean and I took several photos, trying to capture the scenery and our cute horses. 





Good ole' Rocky Top.  This rock slab was right in the middle of the road. 





We rode most of the Amherst Trail before crossing St. George and taking Hammersmith back towards our ranch.  (Friends of the Trails bench.)





Nature is nothing short of inspirational. 
I have had a lot on my mind lately, with the thought of a 4th boarder coming on and all the other boarding dynamics constantly evolving, and trying to figure out and provide what is best for our own little herd.  What good the clean air and long rides will do to clear our heads!  Not to mention the sight, feel, touch, and smell of a horse. 








Robbie and Amiga did exceptionally well today and it was a true pleasure to be out riding them.







We hardly ride past any houses, but this is one of our favorite backyards we do ride by, so I had Jean get a photo of it. 



We took the short cut from Marmaduke through the woods to Eli Ford and rode down our drive and in through the front gate.  Parts of this short cut are very overgrown (much of which was briers) so I got off Amiga and did some clipping (with the pruners I have attached to my saddle). 


Amiga was so good to stand and wait while I worked, even when positioned halfway in a ditch.  She truly is a very good trail horse.

When we arrived back, Zorro was going bonkers.  He had been by himself since Mesa was in the corral and we didn't want him in the front pasture with Cowboy.  We were introducing one horse at a time to her. 






Seen here is a map and the statistics of our ride. 

Once we led our two mares up from the barn to be back with Zorro, I topped off water tanks and then went in to get re-hydrated myself.  Jean had left to get groceries and I had a snack and worked the puzzle for a few minutes.

After mucking sheds and paddock, I did a little more watering, and then fed our little herd of three.  They are getting into a good routine of going to their 'feeding station' without too much squabbling.

I stayed for libations and more puzzle working with Jean and then it ended up being 8pm by the time I got home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment