Friday, October 21, 2022

Sisters Forever

I have mentioned my saddle sisters in blog posts quite often.  They are the lady friends who I ride with whenever the chance.  I have also grown quite close and fond of my sister-in-law Patty, who moved into Fairfield Glade just a mile away, over four years ago.  Recently I have talked a lot about my youngest sister Jean, who currently lives at our ranch. 



 

Along with my youngest sister, I also have my oldest sister Cathy, who is retired in Ohio, and my twin sister Carol, who is a sheep farmer in Indiana.  We four will always be sisters. 






This week started with a "sister's weekend" which actually started last Thursday.


Saturday 10/15 - To start our weekend activities together, we planned to go for a hike. 






But first there was some lounging time for everyone.  Jean with Parm and also Carol and Rick were out at the ranch.  Cathy, Ralph, Joe and I were here at our Flossmoor house. 


Ralph opted to stay home, and Joe drove us four sisters up the narrow road to the top of Black Mountain.  In no time at all, he realized he would never be able to get a word in, with us four chattering and cackling.  And he was nice enough to take some photos of us four sisters (seen above and at the end of this blog). 








During our hike, we stopped in at the spring house to see the spring water collecting in the bowl indent in the rock and then overflowing out and running down to the creek.

We went out to the overlook and enjoyed the view of the distant mountains and Grassy Cove in the valley below.  I tried merging these two photos of Carol's.
  



In fact, Carol took most of the photos, (especially the better ones) which is why she isn't in many of them. 









Way, way off in the distance, at the horizon, the Smokey Mountains can be seen. 


The woods were beautiful and the sun warmed us as we inhaled the cool brisk air and smell of fall leaves. 



 






We made our way around to the steps that go down between these boulders and give you a view of what is similar below the overlook cliff edge. 

Cathy stayed up on a boulder and took this photo of us making our way from the bottom of the steps. 










I never cease to marvel at the beauty and amazing rock formations of God's creation. 


There was a ladies rock climbing group meeting at the base of the cliffs, so we moved on so as not to disturb them. 



Carol and I both like the fern hanging on the cliff edge, clinging to the rock and surviving in the crevices. 





Back up the stairs we climbed, and we backtracked the trail to return to the parking lot. 










We all clambered into the SUV to continue our mini road trip.


Once off Black Mountain, we went for a drive in search of Rowell's Apple Orchard, going longer than needed as it turned out.  But the scenery was very pretty and we were all enjoying sister time.  Once there, I sat in the back of the SUV with the two dogs while everyone shopped.  Three bags of apples were bought. 


 


Joe went home to join Ralph for lunch, and we ladies ate at the ranch house.  We had started a Halloween puzzle, and worked on that for a bit. 





Meanwhile, these two were wishing for a walk outside, which they eventually got. 



 




  


Next on our agenda, was to get Cathy on a horse cause she was really wanting to ride.
  I started mucking our little paddock, while my three sisters went out to catch the three horses.  


Cathy led Amiga, who is the easiest to handle on the ground, to the barn; while Carol led Zorro and Jean Robbie. 


Rain was not in the forecast, but when looking at this sky, we were made aware of the possibility.
 


Cathy and Jean got the horses brushed etc. and by the time I got down to the barn, they were ready to be saddled. 


In this photo, Jean is putting the saddle on Zorro, and I have no idea what I am doing.
 

And then just for something different, Jean and I decided to switch horses. 










Cathy was doing great on Zorro. 





But Jean had her hands full with Amiga. 















A
s did I with Robbie. 







In this photo, you can kind of see that Jean and I are trying to figure out the horse we had never (or only once) before ridden. 




And then the little sprinkles we had been feeling started getting heavier, so we headed back to the barn.  Unfortunately, Cathy's ride was cut short. 



Amiga sure is a cute little spitfire, and I think Jean looks good on her here.




The rain did not last long, but Zorro was already un-tacked.  Because both our horses had been acting up, Jean and I decided to switch back and get on our own horse.  Amiga was still very animated and not listening to me.  I wondered if it was the English saddle she has never had on her.  Eventually I got her to calm down.  


Ralph and Joe arrived and Carol had started the pork roast by the time Jean and I got back up to the ranch house.  The sun had come back out and we had a pretty afternoon. 


Carol out for another walk in the yard with the dogs. 


Counting the chickens (10) and deciding which three to send with Carol. 




Carol's pork dinner was excellent, and I ate way too much. 

 



Then we settled in front of the bonfire to end the evening. 
I indulged in another beer and a few s'mores even though I was stuffed. 






Patty came out and joined us and it was perfect weather for a fire. 






Looking through my boots at the fire, I reflected on life and sisterhood, and knew it was all good.

It was almost 11pm when I was getting into bed, back at our Flossmoor home.


Sunday 10/16 -  Carol was up and out early, taking sunrise photos.  She, with her nice camera, captures the light so well. 









It is interesting that these are in order (time wise) but the lighting is so different depending on the camera settings and focus.




I love the color of the sky and the mountains on the horizon. 



The horses were wondering when they would be turned out to the field to graze. 
























I decided to wait on blogging again (because I didn't have everybody's photos) and I was eager to get to the ranch, so I headed over with my second cup of tea in hand.  When Cathy arrived, I was on a third cup of tea and, and we were right back at it, working on the puzzle. 




I got an Ava update from Valencia.  This cute girl takes after her beautiful mother. 

Jean cooked brunch so the boys arrived to join us in eating a hearty meal.  They then returned to Flossmoor to watch football. 







It was overcast, but not raining (as predicted) so we girls went out to get some exercise, first feeding the catfish. 



The three horses thought Jean had something for them, so followed her to the pond and Jean had to shoo Robbie away because she was in Jean's personal space. 


 




Rick, in his long and thick coat was plenty warm, so went in for a dip to cool off. 



Carol (who was a ways away tending to Maggie, trying to desensitize her to the fish during their feeding frenzy) took all these photos. 







Next we went down to the lower pond to feed those fish. 






Cowboy was quite interested in what we were up to. 










Jean got this photo of her three older sisters and then this selfie including the four of us. 


We soon headed out the back gate to go for a fairly long walk. 










The dogs led the way.  You can't see Maggie in this first photo because she is up ahead, beyond view. 


It was cooler than the days before, and still overcast, but at least it didn't rain until early evening. 










Carol didn't quite get herself in this selfie.  We were all really enjoying each other and the fall colors.


We all love this photo Jean took.  The fall leaf colors and our clothing colors are all so lovely. 
 
 

Our walk had gotten longer than intended, so to help Cathy out and get home quicker, we cut through the woods, climbed Jim's gate, and cut through his pasture.  (He had given us permission to ride through there, so we were hoping walking through his back field was okay also.)  Jean had texted him to see if it was okay, but he didn't respond.

This nice photo
Carol took.  It shows the spiral moss I really like, mixed in with some fall colors.


In this photo, we are in Jim's field, just getting to our wooden fence that marks the lot line. 










After climbing the fence (actually we squeezed through it because of the electro-braid on top) we walked around the pond in our side pasture. 

We had worn the dogs out, and all of us took a rest. 

I continued work on the puzzle.  See Parm napping on the cat tree?  And Cathy started cooking her chili dinner. 



 




It did start to rain some, and with the wind, there was a chill in the air, so Jean started a fire in the living room fireplace.

I have so many blessings to count, I could go on for hours.  And although it is a lot of work to plan, prepare for, and entertain guests, it is so worth it and we are all very fortunate to be able to travel and visit each other.

It was lovely sitting at the table with family, watching and smelling the fire, and savoring a fantastic meal Cathy had cooked. 

Again it was late when I got home so after caring for my cats, I went straight to bed.


Monday 10/17 - Carol took a bunch of photos of the frosty, foggy morning.  The sun hitting the coop, was waking the hens up for the day. 









Fog over the pond on the side pasture.




Sunlight shining through the windows of the sheds and the horses wondering why a person was walking around and not coming to throw them hay and let them out into the front pasture. 






 


Another nice photo catching the colors as the sun burns off the frost and fog and lights up the day. 









The horses are glad to see Jean and welcome her when she comes out to care for them. 



As usual, Jean distributes hay and then opens the gate to the pasture. 









And quite often, Robbie hangs back to eat hay while the other two go out to eat grass.


Here at our Flossmoor house, I helped Cathy with getting packed (not to forget anything) and she and Ralph hit the road before 10am. 









One last morning photo Carol took.  On pretty days the ranch (and horses) are so appealing.  But when there is wind, rain, or frigid air... not so much. 

I loaded up Maggie and headed to the ranch for one last day of fun with my twin sister.  Jean was working, so Carol and I went out our back gate and walked down the power line and back on a dirt road through the woods.  Maggie had disappeared for quite some time, which gave us a scare.  Coming back up the drive, these two Pasos were feeling frisky from the cool air. 





Once Jean got off work, she came out looking for us and took this photo of Carol and the dogs coming up the drive.  I am not sure where I was. 











We had an early lunch and I helped Jean some with cleaning in our dry lot. 

We three girls loaded into Jean's car and headed to Ozone Falls State Natural Area.  We left the dogs behind because they needed to rest and the up-coming hike would be too treacherous. 

This is us at the top of the falls with barely any water running over it because of the long dry spell we have had. 



Here is the rather dried up creek that runs to the falls. 


Looking out over the cliff at the top of the falls. 









Starting our hike down to the base of the falls, Jean led the way. 


I followed Jean, and there were several hikers in front of us. 


 




The rock formations along the cliff wall were very interesting. 


 

A side view of the falls as we made our way down the steep, rocky path. 



 

 






It never ceases to amaze me how trees can grow, clinging to the rocks, with roots extending down into narrow crevices. 


We continued our decent, which was quite steep in some locations. 



Some trees, such as this one laying in the foreground, were not able to stay clinging to their spot.  






The woodland was beautiful in all its color, as were the pretty leaves underfoot, but they made the trail slippery in spots. 


Some trees were doing quite well where they grew, on this steep slope. 









Once down to the creek at the bottom of the falls, we made our way up stream to get to the base of the falls. 



Finally, a look at the meager little fall of water into the also scanty pool at the base.  This was definitely the 'dry season' not the 'wet spring' look at the water fall and creek.

And of course, another selfie by Jean, of three of us sisters.   





The dogs were glad to have us home and had a little cooped up energy to run off in the yard. 









Parm also wanted his walk, but not to stick around for the photo shoot of us twins with our dogs on Mama's memorial bench. 




Jean had taken this photo early in the morning, to show that the horses were happily eating hay.  A few nights ago we had noticed Amiga snarfing down a bunch of leaves which really concerned me.  They are all oak (not the really poisonous maple) but still in large quantity can cause sickness.  And then last night, Jean saw Zorro eating a bunch of leaves.  I had Joe mow the dry lot with the leaf bagger to pick up what he could.  Dang horses! 






I helped Jean with feeding chores while Maggie laid in the hay pile, warming herself in the sun. 






Parm wanting dinner and the dogs still running off extra energy.  Rick loved the rope toy Patty had weaved for Maggie. 


Jean went to choir practice and Carol and I indulged in beer and leftovers for dinner.  Man have I been living it up the past four nights. 

I also finished the puzzle while waiting for dark. 



This had been a really fun puzzle to work. 


Once Carol and I had tagged three hens (after they went to bed) I headed home with Maggie.  Poker Joe was gone and I was soon in bed.

Below,
Rick guarding his new toy he was going to get to take home with him. 


Tuesday 10/18 - I got to the ranch before sun up and Carol and I moved our seven hens out of the coop, leaving the three she was taking shut in.  After breakfast, I helped her load them and she was on her way at 7:30.  (Jean works 7-11am).  I followed Carol out, going straight to town to shop. 










It is so nice shopping at 8am with plenty of parking, no crowds in the store, shelves well stocked, and happy, available sales clerks (that were just starting the day and hadn't had to deal with annoying customers yet). 


The rest of the day was basically a day of catch up with blogging, laundry and sleep.  My nap was over 90 minutes long.  This is the view from my desk in the afternoon.  I love the red maple down by the pond, and the squirrel on the rock eating corn. 








Monita is the only cat that sits on the beanbag under my desk, but this afternoon it was Babe. 







What a pretty girl.  I love all my cute kitties.





Patty had chores at the ranch and sent this photo of her view. 

At an early bed time, I tried to catch up on my daily devotionals which I do at night but have also gotten behind on.  The past four nights have been so late to bed that I had turn the lights out without reading. 

Wednesday 10/19 - Early to bed, early to rise.  I was up at 3:45 with seven hours of sleep.  I started right in on blogging, but it takes so long when I have so many photos (mine plus my three sister's) to sort through, pick out, and crop if necessary.  (Carol alone had taken over 200 photos.)

Carol sent this photo of her three new hens to let us know they had traveled well and were settling into their new life at her farm. 




I finally made it to the gym (although not until 11am) after a six day recess.   

Once I got to the ranch, Jean and I fetched our mares from the front pasture, leaving Zorro out there with his buddy Cowboy.

We had a lovely ride, although were on the verge of being too cold.  Also, Maggie disappeared into the woods several times, once for quite long, causing us concern. 



We were in the saddle 15 minutes shy of two hours and had ridden 4.9 miles.  Maggie had to have covered a lot more distance. 







We did several 'stop checks' getting Maggie to rest and our horses to settle down. 



Riding on this big rock slab - on good ole Rocky Top. 

We cut in to Eli Ford from Marmaduke, came down Ava Way, and then our drive to the barn.

First some photos at the front gate.














When coming down the driveway, Zorro came running (actually his rack) to greet us (video).  And listen to him hollering for his sister.  Zorro followed us along the fence down the drive (second video in comments) as Amiga gaited towards the barn. 


Thursday 10/20 - I was at the ranch by 9:15 to collect our three horses for the farrier to trim.  He was early, so I was still leading the third horse (Zorro) down from our front pasture. 

Amiga does not like having the nails driven in when Chris puts on her new shoes after the trim, so she gets worried and kind of flinches.  But otherwise she stands very well for the farrier. 








At least she only has shoes on her front feet.  Her eye shows slight worry, but remains calm and complying.

Zorro and Robbie did great for their quick trims.
 

Grabbing a shovel from the garden shed, I discovered this somewhat hidden 'nest' of eleven eggs.  Now who has been laying here?  They have to get over the four foot high half door to get to this side of the shed. 

I helped Jean and Joe with shoveling shavings into our two sheds, the boarder's shed, and the rest into the storage area in the barn. 





Joe had brought Maggie out to the ranch when he came, but she was quite sore from all the running the day before, so I encouraged her to stay in the yard.  At one point I caught her resting in the sun on Mama's bench. 








My afternoon project included removing the brittle plastic that had been wrapped around the two hitching posts back when Katie was visiting in the middle of May.  Amiga had scrapped off a bunch of hair and some hide because of the splintery wood. 
 

The plastic was disintegrating and little pieces had been breaking and blowing off.  So I replaced it with indoor/outdoor carpet I had just bought.  Of course I hadn't measured correctly, and one pole had a larger circumference than the other, so the job was more difficult and didn't end up as well as planned. 



Ta da... I got it done. 







Although it took a lot longer than expected.  But this had been on my 'to do' list for several months.

I had readied the corral for the same overnight horse guest as last week, so headed home as Jean went to do chores.

I had more leftovers for dinner and then went to bed at 7:30, a little after Joe left to greet and get payment from our overnighter.


Friday 10/21 - Wide awake at 1am, after nearly five hours of sleep, I got up to continue work on this blog post.  I did go back to bed from 5 to 6:45am. 


This was the view from my desk (after moving my laptop from the corner).  I like how the leaves are reflected from my glass desk top.  The colors are still vibrant, but I know won't last much longer.  And many leaves have dropped from the trees. 




Mama Styx looking for food while Monita sleeps on the ladder shelf above. 

I worked here at my desk most of the morning, on this blog, until I got all caught up. 












When I had taken the first photo of Monita sleeping, it woke her up, and she immediately decided she needed to pester Mama Styx.  That is Monitia's modus operandi.

I didn't get to the gym until noon, when the clientele is much less, but I quit after an hour (half my workout) because I was just too tired.  I reasoned that I would do the other half tomorrow. 

The other day Joe had helped me rehang a few things in out feed room to make it neater, but I didn't take this photo until today. 



I got to the ranch at 2:00, and after my usual chores I do on Sunday and Friday, I got busy out on our drive, cutting down this very thorny, black locust 'bush.'







Maggie was my project supervisor, but would get worried when I yelled from a thorn prick or entanglement of my clothing.  It took two trips to haul all the gnarly shoots (branches) down and out into the back woods. 






Maggie is sitting on the stump of the tree that we had cut down a year ago.  It had sent up all the shoots this summer. 

After libations, puzzle working and dinner with Jean, I went home to do cat care and prepare for Joe's weekend guest he was  picking up at the Nashville airport.


One last photo Joe took of us girls.  I got all my sisters and me.  We will be sisters forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment