Friday, January 13, 2023

Fix It

I hate it when things aren't working right.  And I am not a fan of trying to fix things.  Nor am I very good at it; especially appliances, gadgets, or technical stuff.  I would prefer to spend my energy and time doing projects, being creative, or finding a solution to a 'problem,' rather than to be repairing, fixing, or mending something that broke.

The frustration with repair jobs, is that it seems things should not break down, but I know that stuff doesn't last forever.  When something breaks, the impulse is to 'trash it' and get a replacement.  But economically, financially, and environmentally, this is not a good practice. 



This (article) 'Why the Planet Needs You to Repair Your Broken Stuff' by Sarah Lazarovic, hits the nail on the head so to speak.  So grab your tools, or in many cases, your twist ties, duct tape, super glue and baling twine... and try to fix it.
  

The other thing I have issues with is computer and phone up-dates.  If what I have is working for me, I don't want to change it.  I'm good with it... 
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!


Lastly, a lot of times we try to 'fix' people (or ourselves).  You can't fix others.  They have to decide to 'fix' themselves.  You can support them as they try to end an addiction, break a bad habit, or start a new good habit.  And remember, not all human imperfections signal a broken human.  Many are perfectly imperfect.  They don't need fixing.  So don't try to live up to someone else's standards, or try to make them live up to yours.

Saturday 1/7 - A couple of days ago I decided not to donate blood because I was feeling a little rundown.  It’s a good thing, because by this morning it was obvious I had a head cold.  So the blood bank probably wouldn't have kept my blood.  I got up feeling more congested (sinus) than I had the day before.  I actually kind of got worse as the morning progressed.  I did take another Covid test, but it was negative, like the one the day before.  

I decided to scrap a gym workout and my ride with Jean, and just stay home and rest.  At noon I climbed back into bed with my book and a couple of cats.  After some reading I took a nap.
 

Meanwhile, out at the ranch, Joe was being Mr. Fit It.  The pump handle had gotten pushed up some, most likely by a horse, causing the water tank to overflow during the night.  So this was a smart, easy fix, to put a pin in to hold the handle down.


Joe also moved the 100 gal water tank from the front pasture to the back pasture so when we put our three horses out there with Cowboy, they will have plenty of water.

Jean helped Joe with emptying and then re-filling the large water tank.  The new 50 gal tank for transporting water, had presented a big challenge a few days earlier, and after it had slid out the back end a few times, Joe had rigged tie-downs to hold it in the gator.  So today the job went quicker and was easier.

When it comes to fixing things, Joe is a get it done kind of guy.  I love that he usually gets right on a fix it job.  However, he often doesn't research the repair needed, or rushes through it, and, well, his fix it jobs are less than perfect.  But they are done.  Another problem (disadvantage to this) is that sometimes he breaks other things in the process, like in this case, the tail gate of the gator and the nozzle on the tank. 

Next, Joe drug the front pasture to spread all the manure piles out that have been accumulating.


I took a long hot shower after my nap, which helped with congestion and sore muscles.  Other than that, I did nothing to fix anything the rest of the day.

Joe and I watched the last four episodes of season three of Dead To Me, so now we will need to find another show for our winter evenings' entertainment.
 
Sunday 1/8 - I didn't go to church (again) because I was still fighting an annoying head cold and trying NOT to give it to anyone, especially Joe who was slated for hip surgery early Monday morning.

I wrote my thank you notes, did two loads of laundry, hauled more Christmas stuff up to the balcony, but I wasn’t ready to start packing it up.  It was just too big of a task to deal with while I was feeling crappy.

Patty picked me up and we went to the ranch.  She cared for Wanda while I mucked sheds and paddock.  We fed the horses and were soon back home. 

Monday 1/9 - Today was the big 'fix it' day, for Joe's hip (a replacement).  We left home at 5:20am to get to the surgery center in Knoxville by 7:30 (with the time change).  Joe was slated for surgery around 9am, but it wasn't until 11:15 that they finally took him.  Meanwhile, I sat, and sat, and waited.  During the wait I got this bag of medications (antibiotic, pain relief, anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea, & stomach protection). In addition, Joe was to take a daily aspirin for anti-clot.  WOW!  Medications sure are used a lot as a quick fix but we all know, they are not a good long term solution.

At one point, I checked with the receptionist because I hadn't heard anything and it was 90 minutes past time for the expected call that Joe was going into surgery.  I had an appointment to get my car fixed and needed to decide if I was going to be able to take it in.  Well, they were just getting ready to take Joe back to surgery and would call me when he actually went.  It was obvious I wasn't going to make it to the car appointment, so I called and cancelled that.  Car to be fixed later. 




I was giving and getting up-dates from family via Facebook Messenger.  Jean sent this to show our horses in the boarders paddock while Yvonne rode in the back pasture.  They were sure wanting back out on the grass.  Silly horses.

I finally got a text message from the nurse at 11:15, saying she had sent a voice mail (which I didn't get until arriving home at 3pm central time).  Joe was going into surgery.  My cell phone has needed 'fixing' too, but a new phone is my only choice to resolve the issues.  I have an I-5, which has long ago stopped supporting up-dates.  Stupid technical, material, consumer industry. 



About 12:30 I got a call from the doctor, saying Joe was out of surgery and did well.  He said it would be awhile before I could see him and to go to lunch.  I had been snacking all morning, so I went for a 20 minute walk.

I was back in the recovery room with Joe by 1:30.  He was doing great, and released at 2:40 and we were soon to hit the road.  My car started up on the second try, and with the time change, we were home at 2:50. 

I got Joe out of the car, up the steps into the house, and into his recliner with no problems.  It was when I started up his ice water circulating machine that I encountered difficulties.  The power light would not go on! 


I tried EVERYTHING imaginable to solve the problem... but it was a no go.  I couldn't fix it! 
So I called Patty, who was right down the street finishing up her weekly Mahjong game at the neighbors.  She was quick to arrive, with advice from a few Mahjong players who'd had joint replacements and ice machine experience.  Trying everything I had tried, we still could not get it working. 




Patty called Karen,
who has a machine, and we ended up borrowing it.  In this photo, Patty is reading operating instructions for Karen's ice water circulator.  I called the company of our broken machine, and a new one was going to be shipped.

I got Joe his coffee and bagel, the breakfast he had to skip.  I had a late lunch/early dinner, did all my daily household chores, now also including all the dog walks.  I was nearly finished with the book I had been reading, getting through many chapters at the surgery center, and hoped to finish it, so went to bed at 7:30.  But I was exhausted.  How can sitting around all day make a person so tired?  And actually, my cold was really getting me down. 


Tuesday 1/10 - Here is a photo of the surgeon's handy work, over 12" long.  Joe has internal stitches and then glue holding the skin together, with tape over that.  It looks very good, no oozing and not even any bruising.  (Hope this wasn't too gross to post) Joe had no objection.  I took the photo so he could better see what it looked like. 

Joe woke me, getting into bed (not an easy task for him) at 9:30 the night before.  He had ice packs for hip and a pillow between his legs to get positioned.  And of course he had troubles getting comfortable.  Then I had a coughing fit, so got up to take NyQuil, which I had thought I could finally do without.

It was not a great slumber for either of us and I was feeling worse, with my cold moving from my head to my lungs.  Another Covid test was negative, so at least I didn't have that to worry about.  But I started in on DayQuil, as I have been doing the past three days. 










Rose was lurking out front, and going door to door, waiting for me to come out to feed her, which I did, along with the birds and deer.  She has me trained.


Luckily it could be a day of rest, although I ran to the store for food and ice and dropped some letters at the post office while I was out.  I drove the SUV so at least I didn't have to deal with my car not wanting to start.

Joe took a morning walk to the church and back and doubled the distance on his afternoon walk.  The walker does not want to 'go' on our tar & gravel street.  The church lot is much smoother and easier to roll it on, as is our driveway. 






I read, rested, and even napped a little on the couch in the cat room / sun room / office, with Stevie on my lap and
Monita on my feet. 






Seen in this last photo, Maggie was on the floor beside us. 
I finished the first Amish Christmas mystery Cathy had gifted me and started the second one.   





I also did some blogging while at my computer, but could not focus with my headache bugging me.

I cooked a pork roast (etc.) for dinner and then Joe and I started
Season 3 of Tom Clancy's 'Jack Ryan,' only watching the first episode.  I was early to bed and took a NyQuil to try to fix (temporarily) what ailed me.  
 

Wednesday 1/11 - I woke finally feeling like I could see improvement with my cold.  No DayQuil was taken and the fits of coughing were decreasing.  I still struggled with a headache off and on and times of ears ringing and dizziness.

I spent two hours at the ranch wrangling horses and holding them for the farrier.  Patty had come out to help.  Yvonne arrived to ride so we held off on putting our horses on the back pasture.  She would do it once finished riding Maslo.

I was chilled by the time I got home, fixed a bowl of soup to warm up; followed by blanket, cats and book (again) on the couch.  This eventually led to a nap, which fixes lots of things. 




Joe was moving more (except for his bowels) and took three walks outside during the day.  He also napped a few times.  I still didn't have the energy to work on Christmas clean-up.  The balcony remained a mess, but now the cats were bringing various things (parts of decorations) down to play with them.  I was feeling fat and grumpy, so took Maggie on a three mile walk on part of Druid, which has been closed this month. 

After leftovers for dinner, we watched this fun Netflix movie, Knives Out.  I was struggling to stay awake during the commercials, which we can't fast forward, but was captivated by the mystery so hung in there until the end.   


Thursday 1/12 - Joe had a rough night, so of course, I did too.  The good news, is his digestive system is no longer 'backed up.'  However, now it is 'running' a little too much.  I told him to stop taking stool softeners.

The morning soon turned dark and gloomy and we got a fair amount of rain.  It was a good excuse to stay in, in my PJ's. 




The replacement ice water circulator had arrived late the day before, so I only unpacked the power cord, and got the 'broken' one from the surgery center working.  That was an easy fix.  I boxed up the bad cord with the new unit, including a note explaining that just the cord had been switched. 




My cold was improving, but I was still trying to completely shake it.  As I have been feeling better, I do more.  But when I do any activity, I then feel exhausted and sometimes I get a little light headed or dizzy.  I also tend to get overheated.  Mostly my cough is gone, except for occasional coughing fits brought on by post nasal drip.  I spent two hours back in bed reading and napping, with three of the four cats.


Another fix it job I did after my nap, was Joe's walker.  He has worn some of the plastic off the ends of the legs and the metal has scratched the wood floor in the kitchen.  I watched a short video, used Maggie's tennis balls, and got it done quick and easy. 






Then I headed out on a long walk because there was a break in the rain for part of the afternoon.  Maggie remained a little concerned during our walk, having been traumatized earlier by lots of thunder.
 


When Maggie and I arrived back home, Joe was nowhere to be found.  And then Maggie spotted him coming down the street. 






Notice, he is carrying his walker.  That's not how it is supposed to work.  LOL





I was tired after the walk, so sat on the couch and was immediately trapped by Styx on my chest and Monita on my lap.  Styx rarely snuggles, so I just rested here, looking out the window, until she was ready to get up and move on. 





It wasn't long and the sky got very dark and the wind picked up.  The trees overhead were really swaying.  Soon, the skies opened up in another nasty thunderstorm.  I was worried about Jean because it was right at feeding time.  She sent this (video) to report that all was well. 


Jean sent this photo - the calm after the storm, as she was headed back up to the ranch house from the barn. 

I worked up in the balcony with Christmas clean up, but have a long way to go.  Then Joe and I got in another short walk.

The night's entertainment was episode 2 of
Season 3 of Jack Ryan. 


Friday 1/13 - There were enough snow flurries to scare me off from driving to Cookeville for my morning car appointment.  The fix it job would have to wait until next week.  Besides, I still was not feeling up to exerting much effort. 









A group of deer showed up and soon some more joined them, resulting in ten total.  I was not able to get them all in one photograph, but took this (video) which shows all of them. 


This photo, from the video, does show all ten deer.  There are seven of them in that one group near the pond.

I did finally get dressed and headed out to run errands on my way to the ranch.  I sent the faulty cord with the water circulating machine via Fed Ex.  I picked up some groceries and returned Karen's water circulating machine. 


Once to the ranch, I got busy mucking the sheds that were fairly dirty, evidence that the horses spent quite a bit of time there during the night's cold rains.  There was a light blowing snow as I worked, and it chilled me.  After I got the horses fed, I warmed up and visited with Jean for a short time before heading home. 

More snow fell as Joe and I watched another episode of Jack Ryan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment