Friday, January 27, 2023

Riding Out Winter

When we ride something out, this refers to getting to the end of a difficult or dangerous period or situation without any serious problems.  It  means we succeed in surviving or getting through something grueling or unpleasant that cannot be stopped or avoided.

As I ride out winter, it helps to ride in it.  I enjoy riding in the snow but can no longer tolerate the cold.  But you really can't have one without the other.  Riding in the snow is quiet and there is a perfect peace in the woods and it always helps to get back into nature.  Luckily, here in Tennessee, our winters aren't too harsh or long (usually).  But there is also rarely much snow. 

Other ways to ride out winter, are to sit here at my computer doing stuff, lay by the fire reading a book, work a jigsaw puzzle while watching life beyond my window, and taking a nap.  A cup of hot tea or a bowl of very warm soup is also most beneficial.

Saturday 1/21 - On my way home from picking up Maggie at Patty's (around 8am), I noticed that what was left of the house that had burned down several months ago, was finally being cleaned up and hauled away. 








It is nice to see that eye-sore
across from the library finally being taken care of.  But I still feel really bad about the economic and environmental loss. 

I was moving slow after being up past midnight, so had to push it to get to the ranch by 10:30, thinking I had to be to Shirley's by 2:00.  But then there was a change in plans for our cruise meeting.  Judy was going to bring food for dinner, so we weren't going to meet until 4pm. 


Jean and I worked on the jigsaw puzzle waiting for the day to warm up a little more.  When we went to get the mares, Zorro was sunning, but both of the girls were in the shade (seen above).  Zorro's no dummy, he knows how to ride out winter. 



I love that Amiga can remain relaxed when I come right up to her while she is laying down in the field.  Yet it took little coaxing to get her to stand after I had the halter on her.

Jean and I
rode for 1½ hours, going 4½ miles.  A lot of the time we had our horses side by side, and us girls just chatted away. 


 



It was nearly 50° and quite pleasant; a beautiful day for a relaxing ride.  It got a tad cool when we were going into the wind on more open road or when we were in the shade.



We were sure to do our 'stop checks' in the sun.

In the next photo, and this (video) we were out on the Holly trail.  I love winding down this trail through the woods, although they are not very dense this time of year. 













I got home in time for a quick shower and was at Shirley's by 4pm.  Judy brought pizza, chicken fingers, and salad which we all (Patty was also with us) thoroughly enjoyed.

Then we got down to the 'business' of getting Judy and I checked in to our cabin for the Feb 9th cruise.  It went quick and easy, thanks to Shirley and Patty's help.


Sunday 1/22 - This Ava up-date came the night before, but I didn't see it until I got up.  What a cutie patootie. 
 

It was a cold, dreary day with an almost constant light drizzle all day.  I found it very difficult to get motivated to do anything. 

I did start this project of sewing together these hand made ornaments, to make a tree shape out of them.  I wanted them in order (from 1980 - 1995) so the sequence of photos on the back could all be viewed chronologically. 


Joe followed me to the ranch to help with the chore of filling the water tank in the back pasture.  He needed to show me how to secure the 55 gallon (transport) tank onto the back of the gator. 








I mucked our paddock while Joe finished up with the water.  I did a few other little tasks. 




Soon I was in the ranch house to warm up, dry off from the drizzle, and wait until feeding time.

Jean and I finished this jigsaw puzzle and then it was time to feed our three horses.  They were very anxious to come in, I think partly wanting to get into the sheds to dry off. 

Monday 1/23 - Maggie looking out on a frosty morning.

It was kind of a lazy morning.  I have been enjoying working jigsaw puzzles on my computer.  I can do a 300 piece one in a little over an hour. 

I did get to the gym and Food City, in addition to working on cruise preparations (organizing what to pack and making a list of things I need to fix, find, or buy).


Patty dropped in to deliver this wooden plaque from our neighbor's
(three doors down) where she had been playing Mahjong.  Steve and Marcia are moving, and like Jean, purging things.  They had this when they had a cat named Holly.  It is perfect for my office / sun room / cattery.  Now to figure out where exactly to hang it.  

Poker Joe was gone mid day and late into the evening.  It gave me the opportunity to have a little 'style show,' trying on numerous tops to choose from for our nine day cruise. 

Tuesday 1/24 - My cute, little Mama Styx. 

The cats love looking down from high above on their perches (cat towers or wall shelves). 








I picked Jean up at A1-Auto Repair and we went back to the ranch to go for a ride.  After helping Joe move a round bale of hay to the barn, we tacked up and headed out on a 3½ mile, 75 minute ride.  Our horses were a little sluggish and we both got a little cold, but it was a good ride.

 


Wanda has no fear of the horses and is often hangin' out with any of us when we are horsing around.







Jean flexing Robbie before our ride. 

I dropped Jean off to get her car, came home to quickly clean up, and then Joe and I went with Brian and Joan to Bunkers where we met friends John and Margie (Saunders) who we haven't seen in ages.  We all enjoyed a great meal while catching up on life. 


Wednesday 1/25 - Maggie does not like rainy days.  She usually rides out the storms (and heavy rains) in our closet.  The wind and rain subsided by early morning though, and it was then just cold, gloomy and damp most of the day. 








Jean sent this photo of the 'lake' up at our new gate opening to the back pasture.  Luckily it drains (or seeps in) fairly quickly.  The red light glowing is the electric fence switch. 


I took these next three photos off of videos Dan and Vale sent, of Ava at play.  What a great way to ride out winter, at an indoor play space. 




Little Ava is such a joy because she is so joyful.  It is wonderful to watch this happy little girl having fun playing.

This last photo comes from a video taken at their house.  Ava was pushing Fluffy Kitty around in this box.  Kitty was being such a good sport. 

I struggled through my workout with a sore back, achy joints and low energy.  But I got it done.
I ate a big salad for a 3pm late lunch / early super and then read and took a nap.
I woke up in time to feed the dog and cats and proceeded to whittled away the evening doing nothing constructive.  I needed to be going through slacks, shorts, and skirts to pack for our cruise.  But I didn't want to get out of my jammies that I had put on when I got home mid afternoon.

I was in bed asleep way before Poker Joe got home. 

Thursday 1/26 - It was spitting snow when I was up before the sun, walking Maggie.  But we only got a light dusting. 

To be safe, or make sure the roads were, I waited till mid-morning before leaving to do my big, in town shopping trip. 


I took my dress (worn at Dan and Vale's wedding) to the cleaners, with plans to wear it to formal night on our cruise.  After Tractor Supply I hit several thrift stores, looking for some specific items. 

I ended up buying this 'Snuggle' wearable blanket with sleeves (that I was not looking for).  I couldn't resist because it was a yellow tag, ½ price for $2.00.  
My long shopping trip ended as usual at Walmart, where I bumped into Jan and then Karen and Patty, and chatted with them for quite awhile.
I cooked dinner for a change, and then Joe and I started a new series, Tulsa King, with Sylvester Stallone. 
 

Friday 1/27 - Jean sent this photo of Wanda so I could e-mail it to the vet, along with a video.  We are worried about her tail.  Early last week we noticed the last three inches of it drags on the ground.  It is hard and has two lumps, and doesn't seem to have any feeling.  When we adopted Wanda, the last half of her tail always was limp.  She could never lift the back half of her tail up like cats do when they’re happy. 


It was a pretty day with sunshine and hardly a cloud in the sky.  I cleaned and packed up some medical supplies Karen had lent Joe for hip surgery recovery.  He later dropped them at her house on the way to poker.  I tried on slacks and washed the ones I chose to take on the cruise.  I also did the elliptical at the gym while watching an episode on HGTV. 




I had chores at the ranch, and because Jean was out of town, I had a few extra things to do.  Notice Jim's two ducks on our pound.  Polly also reported seeing the eagle again down at their pond, but I missed it.

However, if you zoom in on the two photos below, you can see a bunch of robins.  There was a large flock of them in the front pasture and the front yard of the ranch house.  I guess spring is soon to come.


While waiting for it to get a little later so I could feed the horses, I took Parm for a walk.  Then after feeding time (including feeding Parm and Maggie) I flipped over puzzle pieces to start a new puzzle I got for Christmas. 






Once the sun was nearly down and the chickens had gone to bed, I shut the coop and headed home. 
It had cooled off again and I was feeling chilled, so I wrapped in my new Snuggle and sat in front of the space heater at my computer.  I was in bed early under the blankets to read.  Hibernating is another good way to get through winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment