Friday, April 21, 2023

Changing Gears

This blog is not about shifting into a different speed in a car or on a bicycle.  It is more a case of laying aside one form of equipment and taking up another or changing the activities I have been doing and the physical tasks I have been tackling. 
Well, maybe it is about slowing down (not totally the busyness of life) but the strenuous activities and workload I had been putting on myself.


Saturday 4/15 - Patty had morning chores and sent this photo of Zorro watching over Amiga as she rest in the sun.  My little mare knows when to shift gears and take a break.  Although she sometimes gets revved up and changes into high gear un-necessarialy.

I had been filling in for Polly's chore spots until a new schedule could be worked out.  So, now that we started it today, I'll only have to go out to the ranch four shifts a week, paying Karen to do my fifth shift.
 

These three know how to change gears and go from hunting, play, and work - to R&R.  The morning temperature was in the mid 60's, perfect for a little sunbathing.  I worked on last week's blog until noon.
 







Joe had noon turnout and then did some jobs until I arrived.  He added more shavings to the shed and moved more topsoil to the low corner up in the side pasture and to the hillside along the shop.


He headed home and I started seeding the bare spots.  Seen below is the corner by the gates from the side pasture to the back pasture that always has a big puddle of water after heavy rain.  It's now filled in with dirt and seeded.






 
The bare spot where the pool was has topsoil, seed and hay to cover it.  I used an old partial bale of moldy hay we had, stored off to the side in the shop. 



It was difficult and time consuming to break it apart and spread it in a thin layer.  Also the mold spore dust was flying everywhere.  Yuck!

I now have both Saturday and Sunday nights on the new chore schedule, so did not have a break from trips out to the ranch just yet.

When I went down to do evening chores, all three horses were hanging out in the shade of their shed, patiently waiting for dinner. 


After feeding them, I took time to soak Amiga's hoof.  The Epsom salt does open up the abscess hole, cause I see bubbles when I push on the soft part of her sole.  So it is helping.

Before heading home I put the chickens to 'bed' and watered the grass seed in the yard.

While sitting on the bench for 20 minutes soaking Amiga's hoof, I had time to try to get a selfie with her.  I did not have much luck.  Here are my two best efforts.  LOL



Sunday 4/16 - It is always a joy to get photos of Ava.  They sure take her to a lot of fun places.  What a cute little hatchling!

I worked on last week's blog and went to church with Shirley.  It had rained a little overnight and there was another little shower before church. 









I forgot to put this photo and (video) of Amiga in the pond on Thursday of last week's blog.  I had to include it now cause it makes me smile.   

I did more blogging and then headed out to the ranch for evening chores.  Mom's red Amaryllis is now blooming.  So pretty. 




Giving the chickens more time to get themselves into the coop, I watered the grass seed for a bit.  I really want to get it to germinate right away so it can be well established by the time Mary and Jack move into the ranch house. 




I finally finished last week's blog and posted it.

I had gotten word from Jan earlier, that the lady from Florida, interested in Robbie, had arrived at Celtic Rose.  Jan had nothing but good things to say about her.  Here is a photo, from a video Jan took, of the lady 'test driving' Robbie.  And she did buy her, and take her as far as Georgia for the night, arriving as I was turning out my bedside light for the night.  I fell asleep in a state of peace and happiness. 
 


Monday 4/17 -Jan reported later in the day, that Robbie had made it safely to her new home in Ocala FL.  Her new owner sent this photo.

I had slept 7½ hours without any sleep aid.  👋 Things are finally settling down at the ranch, with no more barn drama, and the new chore schedule going well.  This new peace has been so nice.

I got this blog started and had a leasurly morning here at my computer. 




I had my OT appointment at 1:00, then did the elliptical (with weighted vest) for an hour at the gym  This was followed by leg and abdominal weight exercises, and I ended with a good stretch, which was very much needed

I got home in time for everybody's dinner, and then went back into puzzle working mode (gear), and finally finished the tiger puzzle. 


Tuesday 4/18 - Joe's 71st birthday.  He was excited because he got news first thing when he woke up, that his fertilizer was in.  He has been in a holding pattern, waiting for it for many days now. 

Since Joe was headed to the ranch right away, he was going to open the chicken coop and throw some hay to the horses, so I could wait and go a little later.  So I took Maggie on her second, longer morning walk, going on the library hiking trail. 





I did the morning mucking chores when I got to the ranch about 11am.  Notice Maggie fishing.  I had Amiga in her stall and Zorro and Cowboy were eating hay by the shop. 


I took Amiga for a short little ride (20 minutes) bareback, and am so discouraged that she is still favoring her front left leg.  I am thinking it is more than just the abscess bothering her.  I haven't had her on Previcox for several days, so may start giving it regularly (thinking it is arthritis making her 'stiff'). 





It was a beautiful day, perfect riding weather, and I feel cheated, and frustrated, not being able to ride Amiga like I want. 

Amiga got a foot soak, tail conditioning for her scaly skin, and tick prevention on her underside where they tend to latch on.


Joe had finished with the fertilizer spreading, struggled to get the spreader off the tractor and back on to the SUV, and he headed back to town to return it.

I watered the grass seed and headed home for a snack (late lunch) out on the back deck in the sun.





I had my book and read for awhile and then dozed off at one point, but it was really too hot in the sun to nap comfortably. 

An hour on the elliptical (30 minutes with weighted vest on), followed by a quick jaunt to the Center to soak in the hot tub, and I was home and ready to go out to dinner by 5:15.  Joe and I went to Ruby Tuesday's for his birthday dinner.  Even though we were stuffed and taking 'to go' boxes home, we still ordered a warm pan cookie (with ice cream) for Joe's birthday.  Splurge now, change gears tomorrow.

 

Wednesday 4/19 - I am troubled by Amiga's long lasting lameness (almost four months now) and was unable to get back to sleep after my usual 2am thyroid pill dosing, wondering what to do about it.
I eventually got sleepy and took a pre-dawn nap on the couch in the sun room.  Maggie woke me just before 6am, going nuts barking.  There were five huge opossum back behind Allen's house.  I could only get four in this photo.  I have seen one wander through our backyard occasionally in the early morning, but never this many.  And something has also been getting into Rose's food overnight.  Guess I need to put away her dish at dark.


Joe joined me at the ranch so he could help me with some jobs.  Not being able to lift, nor should I dig or rake, has really put restrictions on me.  The Dianthus that are by Mom's memorial rock have started blooming.  I need to get a plant for the pot there. 







J
oe moved five more tractor bucket loads of topsoil to the dam area and helped me rake it out.  Then while I planted this thorn-less blackberry on the dam behind the fence, Joe moved more topsoil to the side hill of the shop and planted grass seed.







Rather than change gears, Joe changes mode of transportation.  He had cleaned all the ash from the fire pit while I watered grass seed. 


He also helped me hang names by Amiga and Zorro's stall.  Difficult to see in this photo, below is a close up of Amiga's name plate. 






Then Joe helped me dig dirt away from the 100 gallon tank on the pasture side of the corral so we could put it totally into the front pasture. 

 



Joe headed home and I continued with some jobs.  I washed and filled the 100 gallon tank and moved the small one to the corner of the corral by the water spigot.  Now the 'hotel horses' (which we are now back open for business since the corral will not be needed for Rio) will not be sharing the same water (and tank) as our horses. 


I picked up all sticks under the three trees (barn yard, pasture and corral) and delivered them to the fire pit. 

Suddenly I was quite hungry and rather tired, so I watered the grass a tad more and headed home. 


I had a big, 3:00 late lunch of leftovers from Ruby Tuesday's and then laid in the sun to read and take a short nap.

I took Maggie for a 65 minute long walk coming back by way of the shortcut from Cromwell Drive to the library trail. 

These step take you down from the road to cross the bridge over the ditch. 











It is a pretty trail, especially this time of year with the dogwood blooming.  

Thursday 4/20 - I started a new puzzle while Joe and I had a group call with Mary and Jack.  They had gotten a bunch of rain, on top of a lot of snow, and it sounded like a mess up in Minnesota.  

I hit the gym for 30 minutes on the elliptical
followed by a leg and abdominal workout.  I ended with much needed stretching and then went straight to OT, which is in the same building. 

I went to the ranch to water the grass seed, since it was so hot and dry out.  When I went down to the barn to soak Amiga's abscess, the three neighboring horses were hanging out along the fence line near our barn. 








Amiga was much more lame looking, only now she was really sore on her back right leg.  Bonnie checked it out, no heat or major tendon issues, but she was stocked up in her fetlock.  So after soaking her abscess on the front left, I soaked her back right foot.  Then I massaged in the green Epsom salt poultice ointment.  She really seemed to enjoy it and I could feel her relax a little. 

 

I removed bits of plastic and white cotton strips from the barbwire fence (there so the horses could see it, but no longer necessary because the white electro-braid rope goes along the top of the barbwire).

I also trimmed the dogwood that is in the chicken yard so they (and the mower) can get under it better, and they can be watched easier.  I watered again and came home to watch Survivor with Joe. 


Friday 4/21 - I had morning chores and was out at the ranch before 7am.  I threw hay to the horses, mucked the paddock, and watered the blackberry plant.  You can see in this photo the white electro-braid rope, making the fence line very visible.   







Tossing hay out the side shed door, from the trailer in the shed that it is stored on, makes carrying it out to the far side of the paddock a lot easier. 







I was happy to see that Amiga was moving much better, although still seemed stiff through her back.  Her fetlock did not seem near as swollen, so the ointment, or Previcox, or both were helping.  I put a little more of the
Epsom salt poultice ointment on Amiga's foot and rubbed some on her back as well. 



When I put Amiga back with the boys, Cowboy was chill-axing in the shed.  Bonnie and Susan had just filled the automatic fly-sprayers, (white container up on post) and I wondered if he was liking the benefits of it, thus standing under it. 






After watering the grass seed and filling the chicken waters, I headed to town for my big shopping trip.  Mostly I was going to buy flowers, but I also hit lots of thrift stores.  This is a photo for a project I was planning, and getting ideas for. 





I saw this May issue of the Western Horseman magazine on the shelf and am yearning to gear up for some major trail riding.  I just need to figure out Amiga's issues and get her better. 


 




I was home at 2:30 for a late lunch, nap, reading, and puzzle working. 
I can get used to this slower gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment