Friday, October 13, 2023

Cling To What Is Good!

Cling to - embrace it, hold fast to it, keep it close.
Good - When I think of what is good, what comes to mind is the love of family and friends, my pets, things that are beautiful, tasty, and stuff that makes me happy.  But there is more to Romans 12:9 - "Love must be sincere.  Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.  Be devoted to one another in love."

Good refers to that which is inherently good, true, accurate, authentic, moral, dependable, and genuine.  It isn't
just something that is lovely or beautiful in appearance; not to something that is entertaining, satisfying, or brings you gain.  God Himself is good and the source of all goodness.  What the verse is really saying, is cling to God. 

Also, God is love.  So clinging to love is correct.  You just need to be careful what you are loving, such as money, power, and things that are not of God.  God is love, so cling to love, love loving, be loving. 

In a recent chat with Britney, she directed me to read 1 Corinthians 13, the whole verse, which I did.  I (as many of you are) am very familiar with 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7.  I had it read at our wedding.  It describes what love is.  The whole verse
of 1 Corinthians 13 is basically, saying you can do all the right things, but if you don't have love, you have nothing.  The underlying meaning is that as followers of God, we are to imitate the love of Jesus by using our gifts while serving and loving others just as He did! 

Saturday 10/7 - Joe and I were off to Murfreesboro before 9:00 Saturday morning.  We stopped in at Food City first, to grab food for snacking on while at Dan and Vale's.













Our drive was quick and uneventful. 


We all had lunch and then went for a walk, while Ava rode her 'trike' (video).  Ava also did some walking and running at various times.  She is a ball of energy. 








We were just getting back from a second walk a few hours later and the girls (Courtney and Britney) arrived.  Courtney had picked Britney up at the airport and they went to Walgreens for Covid and flu shots.
 


Ava knows Titi Courtney very well and ran up and gave her a big hug.  She gave Britney a high five and fist bump.












We snacked on fruit and veggies, along with chips and dip and then before long, we were all up on the big sectional watching a movie.  Ava went down for a nap, Britney fell asleep, and Courtney knitted while watching the chick flick with Vale and I.

It was getting late by the time Ava woke up, and we were all feeling like 'homebodies,' so decided to order carry out for dinner.  If we weren't walking, napping, or eating; we were playing.

Many nights, the kids have a dance party with Ava, so tonight we joined in.  A few of us made a song request that Dan played and we danced to (video).  What fun!   










I took Tango for a before bedtime walk and enjoyed the Halloween lights on this house at the other end of the cul-de-sac.  It was late to bed for me. 


Sunday 10/8 - It came as no surprise, that because I was late to bed, I was also late to rise.  It was almost 7am!

Ava loves the outdoors, so we were out before it had warmed up much. 

Song lyrics by Queen:
I want to ride my bicycle.  I want to ride my bike... 


Ava is so full of love.  She was even giving out hugs to fire hydrants. 





Patty arrived just after 10:00 and Courtney was only a few minutes behind her. 





Inside play occurred.









And then there was another walk taken after we had snacks for a light lunch.  Joe sporting sunglasses that were too big for Ava. 





Ava started off on her trike and was zooming down the street.  Joe and Tango turned back but we girls continued onward. 






Before long, Ava was on foot exploring the yards and driveways.  Meanwhile, Britney gave the trike a try for a brief moment. 









Then a game of hide and seek ensued.  Ava thought this was wonderful fun.  Courtney was a great sport, playing along. 
Britney and I helped 'search' and also we each hid once or twice. 

 



This large mailbox stand was Ava's favorite hiding spot, and we had to finally pick her up and carry her away from it to get her to continue on our walk home.  






It was nearing nap time and we could tell Ava was getting tired, so we kept heading her in the direction of home.

While Ava napped, we had started a dumb TV show, Love Is Blind, and I got sucked in and hooked on it.  We watched way too much (three episodes) of it.  Scheesh!


Once Ava was awake, we all got dressed to go out to eat.  Look at this cute outfit Dan picked out and bought for his little girl.  So cute.  She wanted to bike some more, but there was not time to go out on a big adventure, so she had to stick with inside.  This trike is definitely her favorite.










Look at her beautiful curls in this second photo.   


On the road, headed to dinner, the girls had to get photos of these Halloween decorations before we left the subdivision. 









Our '20 minute' wait took 45, so we were all anxious to order once we got seated.  Ava did so well! 
And, we were able to get a nice photo of the whole group during the wait.

  

After dinner, Courtney headed for home and the rest of us went back to Dan and Vale's.  On our way back into the subdivision, I got a photo of the decorations the girls had photographed, now that it was dark and they were all lit up.

Patty and I were soon on the way home.  Karen had taken great care of the cats and dog.  Maggie got a quick walk and we were all in 'bed' with the lights out just after 10:30. 
 

Monday 10/9 - I was late getting up, and scurried off to the ranch with my first cup of tea in hand.  I did chores for both groups of horses, including all the mucking.  When I got home I got a second cup  of tea and started on this blog post, sitting here the rest of the morning. 
I had turned the furnace on when I got home the night before, and turned it up when I got out of bed.  But I was still cold, even in front of the space heater with a blanket on my legs and my feet under the beanbag.  I have been trying to cling on to the last of summer or the warm fall days, but winter is fast approaching.

The cats have been a little more cuddly, seeking warmth I think.  And I am fine with clinging to them as well.  This is Stevie wanting some warmth and lovin'.  

My afternoon was spent at the gym (great workout), and then running to Food City on the way home.  I spent the evening back here, blogging.  Joe had gotten Britney to Indiana and was staying the night in KY.

 
Tuesday 10/10 - Scotty, one of our home fix-it men, was here to look at electrical work we wanted done.  And then I hit the gym for a leg workout. 

Shortly after Joe got home (noonish) we headed to the ranch to do some work.  I needed his help digging the drainage ditch a little farther down the drive and filling in dirt where the port-a-potty had been.  We also tied the fence stake behind it, to the pine tree, but the fence is still really leaning towards the drive.


I continued with shovel and wheelbarrow, moving dirt from a few other places, putting the sod (dug from the ditch) around the port-a-potty, and sowing grass seed. 








After spreading straw over the seed, I then watered it, making numerous trips with the watering can.  My project supervisor was joined by our friend Wanda. 

I stopped work so I could get in a quick little ride on Amiga.  I went bearback again because when I had ridden with a saddle last Wednesday, it irritated Amiga's almost healed sore where the girth rubs. 


I had another great ride on Amiga (video). 
 


I helped Patty with chores and then watered the grass seed a little more.  You can hardly overdo the water when trying to get grass seed to germinate. 






Joe and I watched the second episode of Survivor (taped
from last week).  


Wednesday 10/11 - Having the day off from the gym gave me extra time here to work on this blog.  I hadn't done anything over the weekend, and not much the last two days, so had lots of photos and catching up to do.  I went to the ranch right after lunch to speak with Jem about his chickens.  He had lost four the past few days and wanted to put his remaining three with ours.  He had planned to give all seven of his to Carol when she comes, but was afraid there would be none left. 


Above photo is one of our hens roosting in the downed dogwood tree, that they all love.

When I drove down the drive to the barn, I took this photo of the port-a-potty.  I really like it's new location, back against the fence, more out of the way and less visible.  






It also now allows us to see the back gate that leads into the woods.  I got to work and scrubbed the side you see, that needs more paint.  A bunch more flaked off.  Once Patty arrived, I stopped work and we went for a nice little ride. 

 


As we rode out through the back gate, Patty took this photo of the 'tree spirit which watches over us as we come and go.'


We rode under the lookout tower, taking the path to the road in back. 






Maggie, 
Amiga and I lead the way. 



Zorro got a little wound up a few times.  He looks so good when he is collected and ready to bolt.  I tried to get a (video), but failed.  And I got this still shot from the video. 










While Patty cleaned up around the barn, I took to the task of spray painting the port-a-potty.  Well, 1/3 of the way done with the can, it malfunction and wouldn't work anymore.  Patty even checked it out to make sure it wasn't user error.  Ughhh!

Susan and Jon came to do chores for both Co-op groups while I was watering everything up in the yard.  I took this photo of M&J's three eating.  Banner eats in one of the sheds. 




I soaked the 22 little trees we have planted in the past two years, all the shrubs and flowers and everything in the garden.  


About the time I was finishing up, Jem started bringing his chickens over, one at a time, putting them in our yard.  Ours were about to come in to roost for the night, but got all stirred up.  With help from Susan, we got all nine chickens 'herded' into the coop.  I snapped this photo before turning out the lights for the night.

I got home after dark, set to all my household chores, and was in bed at my usual 9pm time.  I never heard poker Joe come home.

Thursday 10/12 - I was up from 12:12 till 3:45, unable to sleep. I finally laid down once tired and tried willing myself to sleep.  I eventually did sleep, but woke again at 5:15.  I needed to get to the ranch early so I got up and started my day.  I was at the ranch by 6:10 to open the chicken coop so that the newcomers and our six had plenty of room to get away from each other if needed.  





The girls weren't awake yet when I opened the coop door, but soon started stirring.  I left the chicken yard and went straight to the horses by the house, to turn them out.  And then I went down to the barn to turn our three out. 




After mucking the lower paddock, I returned to do clean up in the upper paddock and two sheds.  By now it was getting much lighter and even warming up to the point I needed to take my sweat shirt off.

Finally I went to check on the chickens, and all seemed to be getting along.  In fact, I wasn't sure which one was 'no name.'  She looks like two of ours.
 

A pretty view of the sky and sheds from our chicken coop.


I had left the hose out the night before to top-off the water tank, which I did.  Then as I was walking back towards the coop, I heard a great commotion.

 

I was about at the fire pit when I heard lots of squawking, and all the chickens were running for the coop.  Most ran into the coop, some under the bush in front of the coop and a couple went behind it.  One of them going behind it was flying quite well, so I figured it was trying to get over the wall and go back to Jem's.  By the time I got to the coop I went around back to see which one was the good flyer and a hawk had Jem's chicken (Queenie) cornered back there.  The hawk quickly flew away.  Needless to say, Queenie was missing feathers.  She already looks scruffy because she has a bad beak and can't preen.

Here are some interesting chicken facts. 
I think our girls were going 9mph when that hawk was chasing them.

When I got home, I had a third cup of tea and a big (third) breakfast of ham, cheese and eggs (I had just gotten from the nest boxes).  Then I worked here at my computer, doing my usual morning routine.  I was so tired from lack of sleep, I knew a nap was necessary.  So I laid down, back in bed actually.  I had troubles sleeping, but ended up waking from a deep sleep at almost 1pm.  Sheesh... there goes the day.  


I decided it was too late and I was feeling too wimpy to go to the gym. 
I ran to Ace Hardware to exchange the spray paint and hit Food City while I was out.  Then I did work in the yard for three hours (weeding, watering, and moving mulch).  I cleaned and filled the bird bath and got this bed finished but still have more to weed and mulch.    
 

Joe got home from golf at 5:15.  He was tired and it was late, so I didn't have him help move mulch.  Another day.  But this needs to be gone in a week so we have more driveway space for visitors. 

J
oe and I watched Survivor.  I always feel bad when a really good player gets blind-sided and voted off because they are seen as such a threat.  Also, this early in the game it is dumb to get rid of strong people that help you win challenges.    

Friday 10/13 - I woke at 6:15, feeling well rested after nine hours of sleep.  I hoped it would be a lucky Friday the 13th for everybody. 



I don't know why I don't have a black cat.  Babe is the closest I get to it.  She can look rather black in some lighting, but she is a black tabby.  I really am biased to tabbys I guess. 






I got to the gym at 10:30 and started on the rowing machine to warm up.  Realizing I didn't have time for a full weight workout, I decided to row until a new HGTV show started at 11:00.  Then I did an hour on the elliptical wearing my weighted vest. 




I left the gym hot, sweaty, and spent.  I had to hustle to change, grab lunch, pack a cooler and get to the ranch by 1pm.  

While driving, I was astounded and pissed off when out of nowhere, it started to sprinkle.  Rain had not been anywhere in the forecast! 





Karen and I had planned to ride, but then had second thoughts.  My weather app still showed no rain in the forecast.  It was just a light drizzle that was coming down, and looked to be clearing off, so we took our chances and got Amiga and Zorro from the pasture.  Amiga's eye was swollen again (had been a few days ago also) so I treated it with CalmEyes. 




The skies seemed to be getting lighter and the drizzle had stopped, so we got our horses saddled and ready to ride.  Well, actually I went bearback again.  Amiga's saddle sore is so close to being better.






The sun actually peeked out as we were hitting the trail.  But, we weren't out five minutes and it started sprinkling again.  UGH!  It cleared off a few times but also the drizzle came down quite hard a few other times. 



We were both kind of wet when we got back to the barn.  I was cold because the wind had picked up and the temperature dropped, and I was wearing only a sleeveless shirt. 

.






Patty had invited Karen and I to join her for dinner and a bonfire, which we decided to go ahead with, even though it was rather damp.  


With the extra time before dinner,
I had planned to finish spray painting the port-a-potty and spray weeds along the fence line.  But it was too wet to do either, much to my disappointment. 

Dinner, libations, and conversations were enjoyable, and the fire was actually quite nice. 
If the cold and drizzle was all the worse my luck was going to get today, I'll take it.  Ya got to cling to what is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment