Friday, October 6, 2023

Life In Layers

We are multidimensional beings, living life simultaneously on different levels.  When I taught Biology, I took mainly a physical approach to our existence, and broke it down into these layers. 









But we are not merely a biological machine that has learned to think. 




When the layers of life are explored, we can look into the many different levels on which we experience our daily existence.  We are not just body.  There is also mind and spirit.  It gets a lot more complicated when we look at the three (physical-
mental-spiritual) main levels of life.

This blog title originally came from the idea that this time of year we need to wear layers.  I have found myself starting the day in a sleeveless shirt, long sleeve shirt over that, and even a light weight jack some early mornings.  This cute hedge hog post shows the problem inherent with not layering. 


Saturday 9/30 - I hit the gym from 8:30 - 11:00, sat on the deck for lunch and nap, showered, and then went to the ranch to do chores earlier than usual. 








I had troubles getting the horses to come in because it was so early for their dinner.  I ended up going out after them, and herding them into the paddock (video). 


Once I had our three horses closed into the paddock, Amiga and Cowboy started eating their evening hay instead of coming into the shed for dinner.  Zorro was milling about, not sure where to go or what to do. 







I did not have my canine helper (who I should teach to go round up the horses and drive them in), but Wanda followed me around.  She likes to roll on the fly masks when I throw them over the fence to pick up
later




I scurried home (feeling like I needed another shower).  I freshened up and then donned my retro-motown dress for the evening's Utopia concert.  With my cooler packed, I headed to the Grove where I had set out our chairs on my way to the gym.  Patty and Karen were already there and Joe and Micki joined us a little later.  We ate from the food vendors, chatted, and enjoyed people watching.  A huge crowd had gathered.  And then the show began.  It was a very fun night of dancing.  The weather was perfect.

Micki's cool photo of the
full moon obstructed by layers of clouds and the dance floor (with couples dancing to Tennessee Whiskey).



Sunday 10/1 - Wow, now it is October!
Sunday started out as a rather lazy day.  I had been up with Tango, walking him in the middle of the night, so was extra tired.  I was also sore after three hours of dancing at the Grove the night before.  So I just had a lazy morning here at my
computer. 







Was Tango trying to catch up on sleep or just wanting to get home?  Joe was on the road to Nashville
before 9am, with his friend (to go to the Titan's Game) and with Tango (to drop off at Courtney's).




Courtney sent this photo later, of Tango now at her condo.  



Rose sitting by a chipmunk hole, bidding her time, listening and waiting for the critter to emerge. 

Maggie and I went out to the ranch after an early lunch.  I dinked around for a little bit until Karen arrived. 




We gathered up Amiga and Zorro and went on a nice little trail ride.  They were both much better behaved than two nights ago, because they had full bellies, and were not anxious to get out on the pasture or to come in for dinner.  Maggie had joined us, and is way out in front of Karen and Zorro in this photo.  



Patty was at the barn waiting for us when we rode in from the back trail.  We soon swapped out the horses for the Gator (video) and headed back out to do some tree trimming.  

 



I rode in the back bed of the Gator and Maggie came with us again.  In spots where the limbs were low overhead, I would stand up and trim them as we went down the trail.  Patty and Karen would hop out and trim and saw trees and branches as needed, and clear limbs off the trail. 


Sometimes I would need to use the chain saw from the back of the Gator, to get the bigger limbs or small trees. 


We got a lot cleared and had some fun in the process. 








Many hands make for light work.  But we got tired before getting one loop completely cleared.  On the last 'leg' of the route back, we just trimmed where the brush was really invading the road space, making it too narrow or low overhead. 





Maggie was pooped out by the time we got back and actually took a nap, and Wanda joined her.  





I did evening chores and Patty helped me before she left.  I also did a little extra hoof and wound care on Amiga before returning her back to the paddock. 


Just before 7:30, I went out to walk the dog, knowing the starlink train was due at 7:34.  And sure enough, right over head, going in the same direction I was walking down the street, I saw it.  This is not my photo, but one posted on Facebook of exactly what I saw.  


Monday 10/2 - It was a 53° morning and I started out with three layers.  Arriving at the ranch a little before 7:30 I did extra mucking because we had an overnighter who kept one horse in the corral and one in the round pen, but did not clean up after them.

These photos of Rose were taken, looking out the living room window, once I got home.  It was 15° warmer when I had headed home at 9:15. 







Notice, leaves are starting to fall.  They seem rather brown and dry so far this year, because we have not had much rain.  Coming soon, several layers of leaves to contend with. 





I had eaten a third breakfast and was waiting for it to digest some, before going to the gym.  Well, the gym never happened because I ended up going back out to the ranch to help Joe with some repair jobs.  The roof above the feed room had gotten bent up at the corner from winds last spring so we finally got it secured. 







There was also a board that had come loose on the back wall of the shed, and another broken one we mended.  I had discovered these the day before when I heard a loud kick while up at the house watering flowers, and then went to investigate. 





The four 'upper paddock' horses had come in to get a drink and see what we were doing.  I had to shut the shed gate to keep them out while we worked.  Silly horses. 







Patty arrived and we were going to do a little horsing around with Amiga and Zorro.  And look who I noticed passing through the back barnyard.  




I was glad he moved right along cause I was worried about him getting stepped on by a horse, or run over by the tractor. 








Patty and I had pulled out some obstacles and were leading Amiga and Zorro through them.  I forgot to get any photos of Patty with Zorro.  She did get this one of me having Amiga stand (with front feet) up on the wooden platform.
I then took Amiga on a short little trail ride (video), to see how the work on the trail we did the day before looked.  It was then 4:30 by the time I headed home, too late for the gym.  I had to come to nearly a dead stop, two different times, for squirrels while driving home.  The road is already layered with plenty of dead critters this time of year. 

Tuesday 10/3 - Rose left a third bird (in the past week) on Joe's lounge chair, which I noticed at daybreak.  All her 'gifts' have been dead.  Wanda brought me this bird yesterday.  It was stunned and slightly wounded.  I put it up in the flower box and it later flew away. 

I was up for four hours in the middle of the night.  I just had so many things I wanted to get done before it got cold outside. I was thinking through the whole list and how I was going to tackle it.  While up, I played lots of games on the computer.  I finally went back to bed for a few more hours. 
 
Dan sent this photo of Ava at her first day at daycare.  He said she immediately went to run and play. 

Rising for the day I felt fatigue, grogginess, and grouchiness.  I was doing a fasting blood test later in the morning and not able to have my tea or anything to eat.  Joe and I went into town together and I got to the lab at 9:00 as suggested (less crowded).  But I still had a 40 minute wait, irritating... and no wonder they have this sign posted.  😜

From the medical lab, Joe and I went to Knoxville where he dropped me off at the fabric shop and I picked out material to re-finish Mama's loveseat.  Joe went golf club shopping and then picked me up and we headed home.  



I was still fighting grogginess and fatigue when we got home at 12:15.  So I had a cup of hot caffeinated black tea after lunch.  Then I was off to the ranch to plant grass seed.  Joe had come to do a few projects and then we worked together at leveling a spot where we want to put the port-a-potty once it is cleaned out on Friday. 


The spot is clear and level, with the drainage ditch going around the front of it. 
When Patty came out later, she set the level to the ground and said it was only off a ½ inch.  Not bad for just eye-balling it.

I returned to planting grass seed. 




Getting the ground raked and seeded was easy, breaking up the straw to spread on top was time consuming.  Layering the dirt, seed, and straw just right is key to good germination and growth of the grass.  Although water (rain) is vital. 





I was working at the corner of the back pasture where
we had leveled and ditched the area, just on the other side of the paddock fence.  I was spreading straw on the seed when Patty called the horses in for dinner. 





By the time I finished up, the horses were fed and Brooke and her family were down horsing around with Banner.  Their girls got a riding lesson. 






I pulled Amiga from her stall, did a quick brushing, and hopped on bareback and headed down the trail.  





These three photos were taken as she calmly walked 
the path (no rushing) on our return to the ranch. 

Amiga was wonderful!  She went out very willingly, did not feel at all lame, and gaited along very smoothly much of the time.
It was a beautiful fall evening and a marvelous ride. 



Maggie had stayed back at the ranch with all the people, rather than go with me.  She then waited patiently for me as I did horse care (especially hoof) on Amiga. 

Patty sent this photo later, saying that these two were intently watching Banner in the round pen while Amiga and I were out riding.


The dog and cats did not get fed dinner until almost 6:30.  After getting cleaned up and into my PJs, I opted for popcorn and beer in front of the television, watching a suspenseful movie with Joe, called The Guardian. 


Wednesday 10/4 - I woke, having gotten almost nine hours of sleep, and feeling pretty good.  But after blogging and doing my usual communications and gaming, I had some other issues to deal with by email and phone calls.  So it was 10:00 by the time I got to the gym.  I worked on the elliptical for an hour, and then I was too tired to do any weights.  I am not sure what my problem has been lately.  This photo was taken Thursday morning, of the messed up straw and dirt where I had seeded.  I had noticed it Wednesday afternoon.  It appeared like the horses had 'dug' around and eaten some of the seed.  Ugh! 





I met Karen at the ranch shortly after 1:00.  This is Cowboy and Amiga after Karen had led Zorro to the barn and I was on my way to catch Amiga.  Karen and I took the Pasos out on the trail for a lovely ride.  Again the weather was gorgeous and our newly cleared trail was very nice.  We had the horses walk and even gait side by side, which it was too tight to do before. 

Zorro had a little fit at one point, and luckily Karen’s good seat and expertise were able to eventually get him back under control.  We don't know what got into him.  Once finished with our ride, we did hoof care and then turned the two back out in the pasture with Cowboy.

I got home at 4:00, wishing I had the energy to do yard work, and feeling guilty for not tackling some of it.  I was just too tired.  I did end up doing a load of laundry and got out Halloween decorations and put some up.

Thursday 10/5 - I was at the ranch at 7:10, and the overnighter was up, and outside with her dog running loose.  When I came around the back of the wash rack, still calling for Wanda, I heard a frighten cry from her.  I finally spotter her up under the roof overhang.  








Poor Wanda.
Luckily she was able to get right down and follow me into the barn to be fed. 





I gave the horses some hay because the over nighter had told Patty during check-in that she wasn't leaving until 9ish.  And I worked at
mucking our paddock. 







The over-nighter ended up loading up and leaving just before 8am.  In this photo, you can see her dog, who helped get the horse in the trailer by barking and lunging at it.  The lady had cleaned up all her mess, and left it in the wheelbarrow which I dumped.  I finished up mucking and was home by 9am. 





I had intended to go to the gym, but was already in work clothes, so finished up here at my computer and then went out to do yard work.  Mama Styx was my neck warmer, which I really didn't need. 




Joe used the big chain to help me get this mostly dead bush out of the front flower bed.  It took about 30 seconds of pulling, and it popped right out. 


It still had a lot of roots intact, so I trimmed off all the dead branches and then wheeled it down to the back.  I had given up on this other bush, a very dead Leland Cypress (seen at bottom of this photo) down in the corner by the waterway.   





I dug up the dead cypress and put this other bush (not sure what it is nor am I very fond of it) in where the cypress had been.  Joe had hauled a bunch of mulch for me and I spread some of it around this bush's new location.   


Back up in the front yard, I trimmed both yews and then dug a larger hole and transplanted the new azalea I had bought last week.  









This will be much prettier here.  The other bush didn't really flower. 


Everything looks neat and trim now, except the rhododendron, which I will wait to trim after it blooms in the spring. 





Since I had the hedge trimmers out, I decided to also try trimming this big box wood that had mostly died because of the flash freeze we had last December. 








It kind of looks like a massacre.  I went very aggressively on it, where as the yew I had done in layers so as not to cut too much. 


After I got all the debris raked and cleaned up, what's left looks so much better.  I hope this poor bush survives.  Next spring will be the telling factor. 



It was too late to go to the gym, so I continued working outside, spreading all the mulch Joe had hauled down to the back for me. 

Patty did chores and sent these three photos.  I love the bond between our two Paso's, who are always at peace with each other.


And then there's Wanda.  Just a very athletic and nice barn cat.





Joe and I went to Bunkers meeting 12 others for karaoke with Terry.  We all enjoyed libations and a great meal. 














There was plenty of singing along with the performers, and many good dancing songs. 

Joe left early as planned while Micki and I stayed until the very end.  There was much more dancing later in the evening because Terry did most of the singing since many of the 'performers' had left.  Micki and I actually kind of closed down the restaurant/bar and she gave me a ride home. 


Friday 10/6 - It was a drizzly day, all day.  I didn't get to the gym until 10:00.  I need to cut my morning routine shorter so I can get on with my day sooner.  But lately I have been sleeping later, so that cuts into my morning free time.

I had my phone at the gym (so took this photo).  I was waiting to hear from Joe who was waiting to hear from the Porta-potty cleaners as to when they were going to get to the ranch.  I  hoped we'd get the call so I could end my work out. 
 

I actually had a decent workout because the call never came.  Then when home eating lunch, I got a text from Susan (who was at the ranch draining and cleaning the water tank in the upper paddock) saying that the porta-potty cleaner lady was there.  What the heck.  Susan put me on the phone with the lady so I could give her instructions so we could move the porta-potty (p-p) before refilling it with the blue liquid.  Apparently the lady had called Joe and it went straight to his voice mail. 





This has been one of Babe's favorite spots lately.  I love how she has her feet and tail all tucked in to keep them warm.  

Joe left right away to meet up with the p-p lady and I snarfed down lunch. 




Well, it turned out that the lady moved the p-p into it's new place all on her own.  Holy cow.  So I didn't need to make a quick trip to the ranch to help Joe move it.  This was nice because it was still drizzling.  I got cold and damp walking the dog (with Rose's help) so had a cup of tea and proceeded to take a short nap. 




I rode with Patty out to the ranch to do chores.  She was doing them for M, J, and B in the upper paddock, and I wanted to see how that went.  First, the chickens got a treat as we drove in.  





Next I needed to check on the porta-potty's new placement.  It looks so much better coming down the drive.  It isn't as obvious and you can't see the back (mint green) color.  And it appears level and square with the fence. 

I still need to neaten things up a little bit in front of it, and do a little more leveling and ditching where it had been. 

Oh, I also need to touch up the barn red paint job. 

Patty and I knocked off chores in no time and I was soon back home.  Then I was scrambling to get packed up to be gone for the weekend.  Having all these animals to care for makes it that much more difficult to be gone.  I was very excited though about seeing all our kids and grandaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment