Friday, May 24, 2024

God's Horse

Like all living things on this earth, horses were carefully designed and created by God.  They are magical, majestic, and magnificent. 










Their beauty, spirit, splendor, and strength,  has been depicted by an infinite number of artist, poets, and musicians throughout the years.  Since the creation of man and horse, man has been attracted to and charmed by the horse.
I have included several creative works in this blog. 

Horses really are spectacular animals and I’m not entirely crazy for wanting a second one.  I think they are truly a gift to man from God.  I think, not only were horses created to help man, but man was told to be a good steward of his companion and worker, the horse, as we should care for all of God's creation.












The horse is a majestic animal that embodies the spiritual power of independence, freedom, nobleness, endurance, confidence, triumph, heroism and competition. Its symbol is associated with strength, courage and freedom.
 
author unknown


Horses are a universal symbol of freedom without restraint, as horse riding makes people feel they can free themselves from their own limitations and float into adventure, movement and desire. Today, its spirit aids us in discovering the world around us and the universe within ourselves. It’s spirit also gives us the inner motivational power to move forward, succeed in our ventures and become the best version we can become.
https://www.thefortunateone.com/horse-spirit-animal-meaning-symbolism/









The horse has been incorporated into various cultures, history, mythology and folklore and is known to have helped humans travel long tiresome and difficult paths.  Evidence of the horse’s use is seen everywhere.



For 5,000 years, horses have been an ever-present ally in war and peace. Civilizations have risen and fallen on their backs.
-Native American: Freedom or a token of war.
-Chinese Zodiac: A powerful spirit, unrivalled, full of nobleness and faithfulness.
-Japanese culture: A spirit animal, a divine being and the carrier of Gods when they entered the world.
-Christianity’s symbolism: Courage, speed, nobleness, generosity and resurrection.  There is also the four horsemen of the apocalypse, Revelation (6:1–8),
-Celtic culture: Envisioned as their first, but not only, deity and was a symbol of the Sun.
-Celtic zodiac: Identifies people that love attention, being admired, and have a noble stature.
-African culture: Confidence, nobleness, fortitude, heroism, battle and victory.


Saturday 5/18 - It was Amiga and Zorro's 18th birthday.  I put hay out (while still in my loungers) a little after 6am, then went up to the ranch house to read and nap (finish my night's sleep) since I had been up since 3am.

Awake again, while loading the car with a few things, I heard a crashing sound overhead and ducked my head and torso into the car.  And this big limb landed ten feet from me.  And then it poured, another unexpected storm.



I drove to the barn in the downpour, dashed into the barn and sat with Wanda, reading my book, and waiting for the skies to clear. 

I put the horses out, mucked the shed and paddock, and then went out to work at clearing the trail.  I probably did at least 50 'squats' as I got down and up pulling the weedy vines from the path. 


Next I brought Zorro in from the field to take him for a little ride, planning to give Amiga another day to get use to her shoes. 








Zorro wasn't too awful dirty or wet, and I had him ready to go fairly quickly.  Notice the piece of straw in his mouth (in both photos) while he stood quietly, not even moving his feet.  He is such a good boy.


When I look into the big eyes of our horses, I see more than just a horse.  I see a living soul, a tender heart, a trusting friend.  It's said their eyes are a window to their soul.
I often wonder what my horse sees when looking at me. 









 


Zorro did very well for me, by himself, out on the trail (video).  He is a very different ride than Amiga, but still enjoyable, a nice horse, and a lot of fun. 

Once back, I did hoof care and extra fly control after un-tacking and brushing Zorro.





 





Amiga was such a muddy messy, I switched her for Zorro and got her all cleaned up, including her feet with the new shoes. 
 

And then, I just couldn't help myself, I had to get on her to see how she felt after getting the corrective shoes.  She did very well, although was a little tripsie.  I also noticed a slight head bob, which you can see in this (video) so not sure what to think.

Once home, I did more bending and squatting while picking up sticks in the yard, until a storm hit.  We got another inch of rain in about 30 minutes.


Sunday 5/19 - I left for work at 9am.  It was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for the opening day of the pool season.  This is one of our dearest and bravest (water temp was 71°) regular pool customers who walks and exercises in the pool nearly every morning.

I got off work at 2:20 and went straight to the ranch.  





I grabbed Amiga from the paddock, where the four were already hanging out, and brought her into her stall.  About this time, the over-nighters arrived.  Holy cow they had a big rig and a big trailer, so big, they couldn't get it turned around at the large area in front of the shop, so they ended up driving it through the lawn down to the barn.  Needless to say, they left a huge lawn job.  UGH!!!
  

I had gotten 'caught up' in helping Joe get the over-nighters settled in.  They ended up using the upper paddock where they had two stalls to put their horses in overnight, to keep them from eating too much green grass.  So I fed the horses first and then took Amiga out for a ride.  







Riding on the new trail, here is the low spot where all the ferns are growing.  I call this fern valley. 


We had a nice little ride, going farther than we have in a while. 



Amiga did well, both in terms of walking alright, and even wanting to gait which I had (let) her do.  Even at the faster speed, she felt good.  Going down hills however, was a bit of challenge.  I had her go slowly. 

   


I had to have Amiga stop so I could get a photo of this spider web.  I have seen larger, but this one was unusual in shape and design.

Amiga started really rushing as I entered the barnyard, so I made her work a little out in front of the barn until I could get her to stand quietly and walk calmly.   


 





Once finished horsing around, I went up to close the chicken coop, and checked on the visiting horses.  They were happy to be eating grass and out of the hot sun. 



Their one horse is a rare breed - Nokota, and an unusual color - grullo overo.  It's always interesting to see the different horses that pass through with over-nighters. 










The folks from Pennsylvania (who are on their way to Texas) were settled into their camper for the night and all looked peaceful as I turned to head for home. 


Monday 5/20 - I spent the morning here at my computer, getting this blog post started.

At one point I got quite sleepy, so went out on a lounge chair to read.  The sun was too hot when it was out behind the clouds, so I didn't last long.

I made a quick trip to the gym for a modified workout, and still had sore muscles when I left.

I scooted off to the ranch where I was meeting Karen to go for a ride. 

While Karen got the horses in to feed, I checked the upper paddock and picked up three piles of manure that the over-nighters missed. 

Amiga seemed a little sore, but I tacked her up anyway, hoping movement would help, like it usually does.  And then she hesitated when I asked her to walk out into the woods.  At first, out on the trail she stopped several times, as if asking 'do I have to?'  She was a little off, so we kept our ride short and easy.  Zorro did great.  I felt bad for over working Amiga the day before.  I just wish her lameness issues would get better and I could ride longer and move her out faster.


Tuesday 5/21 -  Worked at pool 9-2.  Worked out at gym 2:30-4:00.  I showered at the gym, got the car gassed up, had an early dinner, and then took Maggie on a long (hour) walk wearing my weighted vest.  This time I drove up and parked at Good Sam's, and walked those neighborhoods.


Chief - 10yr old, grade Ky Mtn, gelding, 14.2hh, dark bay.  Friendly & gentle. No buck, rear, kick, bite. Gets along well with the others. Easy to catch in the field.



Patty sent this photo, with the comment 'Six nesting boxes but these two want the same one!'






I had seen the add for Chief first thing this morning and followed up with several inquires with the seller (before and during, my shift at the pool).  She was with K&A Horses (a 'horse trader' who buys and sells horses).  $4,000 was in my price range and Tyner, KY wasn't too far away.  I was quite hopeful.

Poker Joe got home early and was packing his bags while I was in bed reading, and thinking about the possibility and logistics of buying Chief.  I'm frustrated that the 'fix' for Amiga doesn't seem to be helping, and maybe retiring her is the only option. 


Wednesday 5/22 - I had stripped the bed and started laundry before 7am, since Joe was up early and out the door, heading to Nashville to fly to Chicago. 
After morning blogging I started back in on horse shopping, feeling the need to really move forward on this endeavor.  I was looking to see if there were other horses I could meet during a road trip to Tyner.  Well, low and behold, I discovered that Chief was now pending.  I texted the seller and she said the buyer had sent a check in the mail.  It is frustrating that all these horse traders care about is the money and many buyers purchase horses sight unseen.  It doesn't give me a chance at a buy.  I really need to just look at 'For sale by owner' adds.


A deer down back, just passing through, looking for cracked corn and vegetation to munch on.

I got dressed up and headed to St. Francis church to attend a funeral. 





Ben and Jackie, a sweet couple who were regulars at the pool, both passed away, three weeks apart, so it was a double funeral.  This is the horse that Jackie claimed as 'hers' during our horse races at pool parties. 


Jackie and her horse.

See, horses seemed to show up everywhere (even at the pool and at church).
I had had five cookies at the reception (there were just so many good looking ones to pick from) that when I got home, I tried to off set the sugar, with milk, cheese and egg.


I spent an hour in the sun reading, and almost finished my book.  Then it was early to the ranch to do chores.

Wanda head-butting Maggie while greeting her.  



I got the horses off the pasture and fed them. 


Then while they each had their own flake of hay to eat, in their own space, I did this and that around the barn yard.  When cleaning out the tack room refrigerator, I discovered the yogurt I had left in their awhile ago.  So ate it and let Wanda lick the container. 





Unlike Wanda's tongue, Maggie's can get to the bottom of the container, so she finished cleaning it out.

The back of my car was open because I had been unloading feed bags.  Well when gunfire was heard in the not too far distance, Maggie hopped up in there, as if to say, 'let's go home.'






While I was getting out my camera to get a photo of the dog, Wanda hopped up to join her.  Maggie is looking around for danger.

Below,
Wanda was just looking around at this new, unexplored space.
On my way home from the ranch I stopped in at Wildwood Stables because I saw Carole‘s truck in the drive.  It was good to visit with her for a few minutes.  She said we were under a severe thunderstorm watch so when I left, I went back to the ranch to shut the barn doors.  It was 6:30 by the time Maggie and I got home.  A storm hit about 7pm, with wind and rain, but no hail.

I put clean sheets on the bed, and
only those of you who shave your legs will understand the wonderful feeling I had, slipping between the sheets with my newly shaved legs.


Thursday 5/23 - I worked 9-1:45, closing the pool early because of the weather.  Britney had sent a photo of her at work, so took a selfie to send.  Notice the clouds and no customers.  That's the way it was, along with a few little sprinkle showers, for my whole shift.

I went straight to the ranch and soon Katie (the horse chiropractor) arrived to work her magic.


Both horses needed a lot of adjustments and we talked in length about the why possibilities.  One might actually be because of the shoeing, except Zorro is barefoot.  So maybe it is genetics somewhat, since they are both ½ siblings.  As far as the hoof trimming goes, most farriers in this area don't measure hoof angles, (mine included) and if both feet aren't trimmed at the same angle, it throws the horse off (on front and hind legs as well as shoulders, hips, and back).  Katie suggested I look into getting a different farrier, and gave me the name of one who has worked wonders on several horses.


There's been a little barn drama I've been dealing with through conversations, texts, and phone calls, so that ate up some of my time.  And then when Courtney called, I kind of spilled my frustrations about our horses' issues, horse shopping difficulties, ranch hassles, pool schedule problems, lack of time for the gym, and needing to clean house.

I cleaned from 8-10pm and was feeling a little more accomplished.  And I had set up this play area for Ava, so was excited about her coming.



Friday 5/24 - I'd had troubles falling asleep, so did not pop out of bed bight eye, bushy tail, or very early.  I resisted Facebook, horse ads, e-mails, and games and just did my blogging.  And then, photos not 'moving' where I wanted them, just added to my frustrations
from earlier.  All this rain has not helped my mood either.  I need a nice relaxing ride on my horse. 

Rose, gazing at me, gazing at her, from my desk.



One more 'work of art' about God's horse.

I cleaned house some more, ran to the grocery, stowed stuff away, and was doing some last minute touches to the place when Dan and Vale arrived with Ava. 





Like the horse, God also made little girls. 

It was heart warming to have Ava recognize me and give me a big hug.  She was also looking for Papaw (but he was out of town for the weekend).  She was quick to find Joe's jar of tootsie-rolls. 


The box fort was again enjoyed by Ava. 


Notice Rose napping out on the deck.  She was not bothered (or frightened off) by the noise inside the house.
 



It is always fun exploring, hiding and playing in boxes. 








Tango made himself right at home.  Maggie's presence helps him to feel relaxed.  Although when she barks at deer, people walking their dogs out front, or when Patty pulled in... Tango gets excited too.


Ava and I took a hike in the woods, and I got several photos of her exploring and enjoying God's handy work. 


And the man-made features of the trail.

















Ava enjoyed climbing on the rocks etc. and was quick to point things out to me.














Up on the bench, we took a rest and a rather poor selfie.
















We made our way up the one mile of Library Trail (the yellow trail) until we got to the playground, where I took lots more photos and (videos). 




Ava enjoyed swinging, climbing, and sliding.















I was impressed with how much braver and stronger Ava has gotten.  But it stands to reason because she is older and taller than when she was last at this playground.











When the handle of 'Nature Sounds' is turned, you can hear many different creatures (of the night) making their calls of the wild. 









After a bit, a little girl (Scarlet who was 11) and her grandpa came to play also. 







They swang, and climbed and slid together. 






Scarlet even let Ava take 'Rainbow Kitty' down the slide. 



Looking at a video Scarlet's Grandpa took of the two girls. 




There were two little falls, but no blood and no tears so all was well.  And after an hour of the girls playing together, we said our 'goodbyes' and headed back down Library Trail.  I had really enjoyed my time with Ava.


It was a beautiful day with quite a bit of time spent out on the screened porch.  Ava really loved swinging on the porch swing.  I couldn't believe that Babe had come out of hiding and was even willing to let Ava pet her. 


I took the easy way out for fixing dinner and had bought a Banquet frozen lasagna which I stuck in the oven. 







Patty arrived and Ava enjoyed interacting with her.  To give Ava some 'down time,' Dan put a movie on, while we waited for Courtney to arrive (after a long tough day of work). 





This little girl was still on the go, and without an afternoon nap.  But she never got grouchy.



Once Courtney arrived (just before 7pm) we had dinner and then Ava (and I) bathed and hit the hay early, while the kids stayed up talking and playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment