Friday, July 24, 2020

Beauty Rest

Mathew 11:28 - “If you are tired from carrying heavy burdens, come to me and I will give you rest."  We can find rest in God through the nature that He gives us.

Take a break from the chaos of this world, turn off your radio, I-Phone, computer, TV, or whatever other noisemaker you have and go outside to connect with nature.  For me, I can just step out into my backyard and be immersed in nature.  Many of you will need to take a walk or a short drive to get to a garden, park, woodland or beach.

Set yourself next to a babbling brook, a tranquil waterfall, waves splashing up on the beach, or under a tree with the leaves rustling in the breeze.  Stop and listen, look, smell, and feel God’s presence in the beauty of nature around you.  Let it give you rest.

This GIF is from Dante Mallea - National Geographic: Photography and Photos of the Day.

When you are out in nature, remember to slow down and give yourself time to soak it up.  Absorb the beauty, tranquility, splendor, magnificence, peace, and wonder of it all.

Saturday 7/18 - I had taken a sleeping pill the night before, wanting to be sure I would fall back to sleep if woken in the middle of the night.  At 2:30 am, the usual time I wake and take my thyroid pill, I wondered if I would be able to get back to sleep after already having almost six hours of sleep.  Next thing you know, I was waking back up at 7am.  Wow, did I ever get a bunch of beauty rest, over ten hours.  Holy Cow!  I guess I needed it.  As for improving my beauty, that is very debatable, but it sure helped my state of body and mind. 
The day had started late and progressed slowly. 


I worked in the yard from 11:30 - 4:30.  All my time was spent weeding this front bed, cleaning up the rocks along the edges, and then adding mulch.









Here are before (on left) and after (on right) photos of my work.  I also trimmed the ivy growing down over the wall from Allen's.  It causes debris to get caught in the drainage ditch.




























I had run out of time and mulch. 
Joe had been golfing, and then was off to the pool.  Meanwhile, I was meeting friends at Spikes.  Joe had opted not to join us.  I took this selfie and (video) later in the evening, with the band, Def Leprechaun.








Part of our crew did not come, but here is Pat, Joan, Brian, Mary, Brent, and Ed.

Def Leprechaun is a fun Irish band that played several crowd participation songs.  I stayed until the last song at 10pm.  I read for an hour once home, until I got sleepy.

Sunday 7/19 - My day had a rough start with my tea bag exploding in the microwave so I had to pour the brew through a coffee filter to keep the grounds out of my mug.  Then, when outside putting corn down back for the wildlife, one of the felines had knocked over my mug of tea and I had a huge mess to clean up on and under my desk.  And I had to start over, brewing more tea.






This green bean bag was covered by a blanket and in the corner under my desk.  The blanket absorbed much of the tea.  I started a load of laundry including it and my squishy cat pad that had gotten spilled on, and also two towels used to clean up the mess.





We had a family group chat at noon.  Britney sent this photo of her two guinea pigs (in front of her computer) and her cat behind it, all helping her finish her homework for an on line course she was completing.

Joe spent some time getting acquainted with the new riding mower.   I had been watering, when a little pop-up shower chased me inside.  But it didn't last long.


Well, it’s easy to know my husband is home.  There’s dirty dishes in the sink, a broken glass vase loose in the trash, laundry piled high in the basket, the news on TV louder than I can block out, trash in the recycle bin, sheets that look like a hurricane hit the bed, the sounds of nature no longer prevalent with all the windows shut and the air-conditioning turned on, and many other subtle changes to my temporary single lifestyle.  Living with anyone involves disruptions and requires compromise.  But, as Judy Gibson often says, it's all good.  And it is well worth it to have company, someone to talk with, help around the yard and house, companionship, etc.  And I bug him as much as he bugs me, so we are even. 😆

I spent much of the day on the porch, under the ceiling fan, reading a Patricia Cornwell mystery that had gotten quite exciting.

After a big snack for an early dinner, I went to the barn for an outdoor Bible study.  We sat under the Sycamore tree (second largest in TN).  This selfie shows the branches overhead.  The shade and cool breeze, in a peaceful setting, was an ideal spot to fellowship with a bunch of great women.

I took Amiga for a quick ride in the yard.

The sun was setting as this black barn cat (Fang) watched me leave.  I tried to get a photo of his teeth, which usually stick out, thus the name.  He is a sweet, new addition to the barn menagerie. 











Monday 7/20 - I arrived at the barn at 6:30, gave Amiga half her morning feed, groomed and tacked her, and was heading out on the trail by 7am.  It was 71 degrees and much more bearable for both of us at this time of day.  I rode for just over an hour, starting in the front yard, then down the trail ride path to the power line, and finally out back to and down part of the Holly trail (video).


Amiga got the rest of her grain once back to the barn and then I gave her grazing time while she cooled off out front.


This is Scrappy, who came over to visit me and get some lovin'. 





While hanging out in front, I watched and (videoed) the livery horses coming in from the pasture for their day's grain and then work.


Babe doing her cat tree gymnastics, kind of like pole dancing.

After some household chores I went out into the sweltering heat to weed more of the front bed.




First I raked most of the leaves out from under the azalea and peonies. 








The weeding was slow going because the whole bed is covered with weeds and they are growing up, in and through all of the phlox.  I ended up ripping out a fair amount of the phlox and transplanted some of it.


This last photo of what I completed was taken the next morning after a half inch of rain.

Mirror Lake Blast was cancelled at the last minute, a disappointment because I was really looking forward to Jeff Allen, one of my favorites.







With no 'Blast,' I was able to work in the yard a little longer and then Joe, Patty, and I went to Stonehenge for dinner, eating out on the patio where we were at a good distance from others.


It had started out quite sunny and hot, but as we ate, thunder could be heard in the distance.  Just as we were finishing up our main course, the rain started.  We were okay until the wind picked up and the rainfall got heavier.

It is hard to see the rain, but you can tell where the deck railing is getting wet.



We ate desert standing up at the counter under the roof overhang.

Stevie lurking from above the fireplace shelves as we arrived home.  She looks evil and conniving in this photo, but really is pretty sweet. 

It had cooled off a nice amount and I enjoyed sitting on the screened porch reading.  But I was too tired to finish my book.


Tuesday 7/21 - Any combination of the four cats are always present in the sun room when I am, watching me, playing, or begging for a cat treat. 

Babe is on the upper shelf with Mama Styx down on the next one.  Look at the difference in the length of Babe's tail the (longer one) and Mama Styx’s short tail.  Mama Styx is petite.  She is my smallest kitty.  I think Babe is going to be my largest cat.  Her body is longer and her legs are longer and so is her tail.  Although at the moment Monita has her outweighed because she’s a little fatso.


I was out working on weeding by 9:30, and actually worked until 4:30, with several little breaks for food, water, and restroom.  Rain was predicted, so I wanted to get as much done before it started, and planned to quit when it hit.  But we never got a drop, although it thundered all around us for a few hours before sunset.






I still didn't finish this bed, but made great progress.  I transplanted more phlox and tore out a lot more also.  I continued applying mulch were I had completed weeding.














I had showered, feed pets, ate dinner, and put on my PJs to sit and read, all my 6:00.  I finished my book by 10:00 and took a pain/sleep aid to relieve several aches.

Wednesday 7/22 - I had finally taken down and cleaned all the bird feeders that have been sitting empty for weeks.  I decided to fill and rehang one of them.  Well the birds are back and my bird watchers are happy.

I was out working in the yard soon after 8am, waiting for a tree guy to come, as he had assured me he would first thing in the morning.  I finally called him mid-morning and he said the workers should be arriving pretty soon.  They never made it, all - day - long!

I did, finally complete weeding and mulching this bed out front.  The one on the other side of the drive still has a long way to go.

I like the clean look, neat lines, and no hap-hazard wildness about it.

Here are two more closer looks at it.




I had used up 10 of the 12 bags of mulch Joe had just gotten for me, and put the last two over on this other side of the drive.  Weeding and mulching the remainder (about ¾) of this bed is next on my to-do list.

At work, during the cleaning break,  I accidentally used too much soap when mopping the men's restroom because I thought it stunk in there.  Well to finally get rid of all the soap, which was making the floor slippery, I had to go in with the hose and rinse it well.  And people started showing up for the third pool shift before I got finished.  I did enjoy a bunch who had gathered to have a little party, late afternoon, and shared food with me.

Thursday 7/23 - Britney's 32nd Birthday.  Where have the years gone?  Here she is, just a few weeks old, with Great Grandma Laura, Grandma Beverly, big sister Courtney, and myself.










My 9-2 shift started out beautiful, but ended with rain.  I took this selfie of me, soaking wet, after running around in the rain shutting all of the umbrellas.  By the time I got home, the rain was done, but we had gotten over an inch.

Monita watching me as I was waking up from a nap on the couch.  Look at her cute little mouth.
I had put on my loungers, and had tea (and cookies), and laid on the couch to read when I got home from the pool because I was cold.  I woke to the smell of chocolate chip cookies.  Nothing like them, hot off the cookie sheet.  By the time I had consumed three, I got a little tummy ache, and started feeling guilty.  I fed the cats and dog but I myself was not hungry for dinner.  Then Maggie and I went on a much needed long walk.








When I first saw this snake, it startled me.  But then I realized it was dead and felt rather sad.




Maggie and I walked up a normally very busy Westchester (right down the middle of the road) which is now closed from Peavine to Lakeview.  I wanted to check out the new construction.






Well, I got ourselves into mud when we got to this torn up section.  This is looking north towards Peavine.  And this next photo is from Catoosa, looking south towards Peavine.




I also took this (video) for less adventuresome folks to see what it looks like. 

I proceeded with Maggie up Catoosa and then caught the walking path that eventually took us through the woods back up to Mirror Lake.




Now we got a look at the new amphitheater and its progress.  I hope the 'dance area' I have heard they are going to pave is larger than just the gravel area seen here.







I had popcorn (for dinner) while watching TV with Joe.  Blue Bloods is no longer available for free, so we watched a movie.  Joe actually picked out a pretty good one, 'Seven Days in Utopia.'




Friday 7/24 - Again, more rain was in the forecast and the day started out quite gloomy.  I loaded the dishwasher and ran it and started a load of laundry before sun up.  I was off to Walmart by 8am.

While I was en-route to Walmart, Joe called to say the tree guys were coming soon, so I did speed shopping and was headed home about an hour later.

The tree crew arrived minutes before I did.  This series of three photos shows how the climber worked his way up the large, dead, maple tree, removing dead branches as he ascended.  

I was unloading the perishable groceries, getting photos, and then changed into work clothes.

About this time, a second climber was ready to start on tree limb removal of several trees in front (to get more light to the beds and get some branches off power and other lines to our house) and one in the side yard (a branch that has grown over the porch roof).  This guy was amazing as he went up each tree, skillfully removed branches, and waited patiently for me to decide on others.  I had him remove several more than originally expected.

By now all the branches and top were off the dead tree and the climber was coming down so the crew could cut down the remainder of the tree.


It is done...
tree gone!



Part of the crew was busy with clean up, hauling brush to the trailer and the mulcher out front.  I had been raking leaves out of the last section of bed that still needs weeding, and also helped pick up the smaller debris and hauled it into the woods down back.
This left photo shows where a branch had been removed that I decided on later.  The larger branch I had cut out was much higher up.

The maple at the top of our drive, in the right photo, was also really trimmed back.  Once two branches were removed that were touching power lines, he did the rest below, to make the tree look better.


These last two photos show the tree at the front corner by Brian's.  One branch was near the power lines, the others were really shading his dogwood and all the shrubs and flowers planted under it.
I put the section of wall back and finished cleaning up the yard around this bed as it was thundering.  And the storm came, giving me a good excuse to quit for the day.


The flowers on Roger's Crape Myrtle seen easily, contrasted against the dark sky.






I had a big salad for a very late lunch, followed by tea and cookies out on the porch swing.  The temperature had dropped to 72°, and with the wind, I needed to put on sweat pants, a long sleeve shirt, and socks.  I took a very long (2+ hour) nap, and then really struggled to wake up.


Joe and I drove, with Maggie, to Patty's neighborhood to walk and look at a few houses we thought Jim might possibly be interested in.  We dropped in on Patty before coming home.  Here are Ellie and Maggie re-kindling their old friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment