Friday, July 3, 2020

Opinions

Opinions - we get to choose what we think and we can change our mind (opinion) whenever we want.  But we need to be careful not to force our opinion on others.

Ultracrepidarian - A person who gives their opinion and advice (and criticizes and judges) on matters outside their area of expertise, knowledge, and competence.

According to Pluto's (video) on opinions, we really like to share our opinions, but not so much listen to others.  Pluto’s Canada-based mom, Nancie Wight, came up with the “talking” miniature Schnauzer while
 inspired to help others during the Covid pandemic quarantine.  In this same video, Pluto also communicates that opinions should not be confused with facts.  Opinions can be the building blocks for conversations.  Conversations are the greatest shapers of change.  When we share our viewpoint, listen to others, and ask questions, we can learn, and come up with new ideas, as our opinions evolve.

Saturday 6/27 - Joe was willing to go get me a half load of rock for my drainage project by the garage, so I was out working on it before 9am.  I dug the trenches for the drain pipe deeper, added a thin layer of crushed gravel that Joe had also gotten me, and was about to put the pipe back in when Joe arrived with the rock.

I held the pipe down in the ditch as Joe put scoops of rock on top of it.


Joe needed to get going to golf, so we pulled the tarp of remaining rock off the trailer that I would use when ready and he returned the trailer to Brian.



I put the border wall (S shaped) back in place, partially going over the ditch that had the pipe and rock in it.






I sent sister Cathy a photo of how the water was supposed to drain (the pink arrows).  The water will feed into an underground drain pipe that was temporarily covered by a rock (circled in orange) to keep debris out while I worked.



I filled in the back side of the wall with some of the extra dirt I had dug up and put rock up to the front side of it.  The patch of dirt, higher than the rest of the area of rock, was left bare for some plantings. 







I decided that I needed a little more dirt, and that it should be partially walled off from the rock, so I added these two leftover concrete blocks for retaining the dirt.




I got the two little Blue Star juniper planted but had no more time left because I had to get to work.






It was a fairly quiet day at the pool due to the clouds, large plume of Saharan dust that moved into the area, the cooler temperature, and the strong breeze.

I was able to leave work at 6pm since all had cleared out 30 minutes early.  I freshened up, and Joe and I headed to Red's for Terry's last night of karaoke.  We met Brian and Joan there.  It was risky being in such tight quarters, but I decided it was worth the risk.  Lots of fun with singers and dancers.  This is Caroline, a kindred spirit.

Sunday 6/28 - I was late to bed and late to rise.  We got 1¼ inches of rain over night and early morning.  All my drainage work seemed to do well.  My Gladiolus are just about to bloom, and then this happened.  A deer bit off the top of two of them.

So I sprayed them with 'Deer off' and will hope for the best.




When there was a break in the rain, I finished this corner drainage project. 







First I put down weed cloth (two t-shirts I cut open and used the hole for the head to go over and around each bush).





Then I filled over the cloth with rocks I carried in buckets from out by the front of the drive.  







I then mulched around the spruce and holly bushes and hosed everything off.





Here is a before photo taken a few months ago.  The new look is much nicer, will drain the water better, and will be easier to maintain.






This front bed is also now completely done, with the pile of extra rock gone.  Yippee.  And look how well the new grass is doing.






It was basically a do nothing day after the little work I did get done outside.



There were a few pop-up showers, with the threat of rain looming until late afternoon.

I got this blog started and played with cats.  This is Monita on my lap.



And here she is, watching over the sun room from the wall ladder.

Babe took a nap nearby while I ate lunch out on the porch.









And then I took a short nap on the sun room couch until it was time for our group chat.  Monita was resting on top of my head.  LOL  I love the sound of a cat purring as I am lulled off to sleep.












I had the pleasure of watching a doe and her fawn pass through the back yard.  They didn't linger there long.



After dinner, Joe and I took Maggie on a longer walk, hitting part of the golf course.


Those are flowers on an (invasive) Mimosa tree behind me. 

















I always let Maggie go down to the creek at the bridge over Snead's Canyon, to get a drink and play in the water to cool off.














As I often see, there was a small herd of deer on the 15th fairway.  They watched us as we walked past, never acting like they were going to flee.







Joe and I watched two episodes of Blue Bloods.  Then after we were in bed, I heard Maggie coughing and gagging so took her outside.  She kept eating grass and leaves.  I finally tied her so she could come into the garage when ready, and I sat on the step to the laundry room and read while I waited.  Finally, she came into the garage, and before long, vomited this big wad of yuck.  I gave her a drink of water, a little probiotic yogurt, and a little more time, and then when she seemed back to normal, we both went to bed.


Monday 6/29 - We got a ¼" of rain over night, but it had cleared off by morning.  It had been a late night (after 11pm) with the dog, so I didn't roll out of the hay until almost 6am.  I thought Sunday was a do-nothing day, but I broke the record Monday.  The only thing I did was take Maggie for an hour walk on the Seven Bridges Trail.  This downed tree shows how shallow their roots can be, growing on 'rocky top.'





Mama Styx on the left and Babe on the right, joining me out on the porch as I ate, read, or napped.  I laid out in the sun reading, for a little bit, during a break in the clouds.  We had a few rain showers that didn't last long, but meant I didn't need to water anything.  And I finished my David Baldacci book 'The Innocent'. 




Tuesday 6/30 - The day started out overcast, but I was determined to accomplish something, anything.  I started out with many inside tasks, several which involved getting ready to go to Nashville for three days.  Well before I made it out in the yard to work, the rain came.

This bush with cute (and interesting looking flowers) was growing along a path I walked later in the day.  I have no idea what it is.


Britney had asked that we not go to bars and restaurants.  In her opinion, one night of fun was NOT worth endangering others.  I knew she was right.  I just had to go enjoy myself a little because I have been so tired of not being able to socialize, hug people, and sing and dance.  I took a little reprieve from social distancing, but now have gone back to being more careful; group events in an outdoor venue only, keeping my distance and wearing a mask when inside or close to others.  This chart (dated 6/30) shows that Cumberland County is doing pretty well, but that is no excuse for becoming reckless.


I went to the barn to ride and give Amiga a Prevocox before the farrier would come in the morning.  When I got there, I learned that Sandy (Deana's horse) had coliced over night.  Deana had been walking her all day, but things did not look good.  Needles to say, I did not ride.  Just before the vet arrived, to probably put Sandy down, she got up, looked perkier, and started walking around.





The vet examined Sandy, said her gut sounds were better, but her heart rate was up.  She was given more time to see if she would continue to improve.

Joe and I ordered out dinner and took it (and Maggie) to the 4-way to listen to the drum circle that was giving this new venue a try.  They have a ways to go before it will draw a crowd.  But I give them a lot of credit for trying.  Joe left early (driving) with our leftovers and I later walked home with Maggie.

Deana posted this photo and said "It was as a beautiful TN
morning.
The sun was rising over the mountain with
fog and birds chirping.  Sandy's buddy Bolo looked
upon us, as she had done all night." 
And this is where Deana said her goodbyes to Sandy.
Wednesday 7/1 - It was a long night for my saddle sister Deana.  The vet ended up coming back out and giving IV fluids from 8 - 10pm.  Sandy seem better for a while, but then about 1:30 in the morning she started going downhill. Deana was up with her all night encouraging her to walk and letting her rest when needed.  Before 5am, Deana could tell that Sandy was in too much pain and probably not going to get any better.  The vet came right out and put Sandy down, saying it was the right thing to do.  I arrived at the barn shortly after.







It was so very heart breaking.

Patty came out to handle Zorro for the farrier, who trimmed him after Amiga.



I got home, tired from a night of interrupted sleep because I kept checking my phone.  I had been expecting Deana to call and have me go to the barn to give her a break.  I had my second cup of tea as the temperature (well more the humidity) rose.
It is July and we are now into the dog days of summer.  
My afternoon shift at the pool was moderately busy. 
I had popcorn for a late dinner while watching a scary movie with Joe.  Then I had troubles relaxing to fall asleep.  Images from the movie and morning were haunting me.  This is when prayer really helps.

Thursday 7/2 - Maggie had been acting peculiar, and when she refused to eat her breakfast, I took her back out for another walk.  Once she pooped and we came back in, she was ready to eat.  I know the recent home fireworks have bothered her, and hoped that was all it was, but with the vomiting three days earlier, I wondered.  She continued to act colicy and I suggested to Joe a long walk as I headed off to work a morning shift at the pool.


Joe and Patty came out to the pool to enjoy the sun and get some exercise. 







The remainder of my afternoon and evening included packing and taking Maggie on a long walk.  I was so relieved that she was acting her usual self.

But at dusk, the home fireworks in the neighborhood caused her to seek refuge in our closet.



Friday 7/3 - I was up at the usual time shortly before 5am and realized with daylight not quite upon us, that the days are getting shorter once again.

I did lots of last minute chores, finished up packing and decided to post this blog early and start next week's blog with our trip to Nashville to visit two of our kids, help out Courtney, and celebrate July 4th and our 40th wedding anniversary.  Joe will be taking Maggie to Patty's while I shut windows and lock up the house, and then we hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment