Friday, June 7, 2024

It's Coming

There are things we enthusiastically anticipate the coming of, and other things that we dread are coming.  As I eagerly search for a new horse, I am anxious to get one so I can really start trail riding as I have dreamed/desired to do.  I can't help but feel that my age clock is ticking and the time will come when riding is out of the question, or at least the type I want to do.

I love this writing and prayer:
"As I age, in the back of my mind I hear that faint voice 'there will come a time, there will come a day, you’ll not be able to do the things you do today, you’ll not bounce back as quickly, you’ll loose some of your strength, you won’t be able to hang like you do now, the trails will look steeper, harder, more difficult, more tiring' BUT for now, with the grace of God, I will ride every chance I get. I will explore every opportunity God allows for me and be forever grateful for every second spent in the saddle. Thank You Father for all your many blessings. And as always HAPPY TRAILS."  - Robbyn Huber-Sumner





I'll never be as good as new again, because I keep getting older.  But the main reason I workout at the gym (believe me it's not because it is fun or easy) is to keep my strength, coordination, balance, and flexibility as well 'tuned' as possible.  I workout to stay healthy and to be able to keep doing the things I love to do. 






Since I have decided to retire Amiga from long trail rides, I have been 'shopping' for a nicely gaited, experienced trail horse that will hold up well on long trail rides and is willing to move out; but also one that family and friends, and beginners (like my granddaughter) can ride.  And it needs to load and unload from a trailer easily.  Not to mention, stand quietly while tied, get along with other horses, rides out alone, has no lameness issues, and no vices like rearing, bucking, bolting, refusing, kicking, biting, cribbing, weaving, pacing, barging, rushing, etc.  
And I know - there is no perfect horse.


Saturday 6/1 - I knew it was coming... and now it is here, the month of June.  I started the day getting out to the ranch before 8am.  I threw hay to the horses and mucked the shed out. 








Wanda, the wonder cat, was supervising from up in the rafters.  Before I finished, Joe and Maggie rolled in and Joe and I worked on moving manure while Maggie wadded and fished in the pond. 





I put grazing muzzles on the pasos and fly masks on all four horses and opened the gate for them to go out on the front pasture.  Then Joe started moving gravel (under my direction). 



We put the larger gravel along one side of the shop where it is kind of washing out along the foundation.  Some more was put in another drainage ditch that is really eroding, and then the crush run was added near the other side of the shed where it gets muddy and water is running into the shed because of the low spot. 




Before heading home, 
I finished up raking gravel and neatening up around the paddock.  My plan was to go to the gym, but then Garret, a young man who had a Tennessee Walker for sale, contacted me to say he was available earlier than planned, for me to come look at the horse.  Because rain was predicted late in the day, I was wanting to go see this horse (named Chester) sooner than later.  Garret wasn't exactly sure when I could come, but was going to let me know when he was on his way home from town. 






So I needed to skip the gym and wait for
Garret to text me.  While I waited for the message, I worked on laundry, horse shopping (reviewed two videos, took notes, jotted down some questions, etc.), and stayed in contact with Patty, who was willing to help me with the process of horse shopping. 








I got the 'call' at 2:30.  Joe and I ran out to the ranch to pick up Patty, and we arrived at Garret's by 3:30.  Patty took notes while I 'inspected' Chester.  He is a 9yr old,
15.1 hands, chestnut gelding. 








Patty and I both asked questions.  Then Garret saddled up Chester, took him for a spin around the property and down the road.  I then rode him.  He is so much larger than Amiga.  His stride is much longer, and a very different feel.  Patty took photos and (videos).  Unfortunately, my saddle didn't fit him because he is so much broader in the withers.  He was very nice, a real beauty, but would need some ground work and fine tuning.  But he was smart, willing, and fairly quiet.  I had a lot to think about.

We treated Patty to dinner and then I helped her with chores back at the ranch.
Joe and I finished this season of Survivor.  

Sunday 6/2 - Shirley still wasn't feeling up to church, and since it was a rainy morning, I welcomed the necessity to stay inside. 










A mama doe and very tiny, wobbly fawn stopped by down back.  There was no corn left, but she enjoyed the salt lick while her young'in explored. 


I got a call that the pool was delaying opening and I didn't need to go in for the second shift until 2:30.  So I spent most of the morning getting this blog post started, and finishing up laundry. 








I also did some on-line horse shopping. 





I had a quiet shift at the pool (only six customers) because it was so cold and cloudy.

Stevie was enjoying the warm, snugly dog bed after dinner.  Poker Joe was gone and I went to bed early.  

Monday 6/3 - I was at the ranch just after 7am and these turkeys were in the barnyard. 










The horses were in the shed so didn't see or react to these large birds. 




I put out six piles of hay and took some photos. 









Even though there are enough piles for each to have their own, Amiga and Zorro often share. 



I went up to care for chickens and do a little neatening up in the coop.

I had fresh eggs and cheese for another breakfast and did some organizing of my to do lists. 

I also took these photo to show where our fruit trees are located.  This will be their third summer after planting, and two of them have fruit this year. 

There are eight fruit trees total; six along the drive and two in the chicken yard. 














I put Amiga in the round pen and let the other three out on the pasture.  She got to graze (muzzle free) for awhile while I did some mucking. 







Then I headed out on a ride.  Amiga felt pretty good but I did not push the pace or the distance. 





The woodland trail was tranquil, cool in the shade, and pretty. 







Once back to the barn, we went up the lane and around the side pasture. 


















Amiga got a little wound up as we rounded the back side of the pond and were now headed towards the barn.  But I was able to 'bring her back down' and walk at a moderately slow pace down the lane.  
Lastly, I decided to ride her into the shop, and rewarded her patience and willingness to go by letting her have a bite of hay from a bale on the hay trailer. 

I had to carefully turn her around in the tight spot before heading out and down to the barn.  I got these two (videos) of our day's ride.









Once finished, I gave Amiga a Previcox to ward off any pain or swelling she might have.  She looked pretty good as she walked off to join the boys in the field. 

I still had some mucking to do, with more manure in the shed than usual because of overnight rain and hay being put in the shed in the evening.

I got home for a quick change and then went to the gym.  I started out slow but got a second wind and had a great 90 minute workout.  I ended the day at Mirror Lake Blast, doing a lot of dancing.  By the time I got home at 8:30, I was pooped out and a little sore in the hips and knees.


Tuesday 6/4 - The dog, cats, and I always enjoy watching the critters outside the windows. 










Mama Styx loves snuggling.  It was a pretty morning but rain was forecasted for later.

 

I worked at the pool but got off a little early because Abby called to have me close the pool since some afternoon storms were predicted.  I didn't quite get everything put away and shut down before a torrential downpour hit. 

The night before Karen had called to say Amiga was fairly lame and Susan confirmed that Amiga looked pretty 'off' this morning, so I went straight to the ranch after getting the pool closed.  Luckily the rain had stopped.   Wanda the greeter.



As I walked out to get Amiga, I spotted this big black snake near the pond.  I estimated it to be about five feet long. 









I have seen one down around the barnyard occasionally and one up at the chicken coop.  I wonder if it the same snake.  They are good for varmint and copperhead control so is welcome. 
 

I brought Amiga into the round pen to free lunge her and see how she moved.  I was trying to watch her walk but she went right up into her little gait.  I couldn't get her to slow down, but when I had her stop, she went right to eating because she had been in her grazing muzzle the past five hours.  I took these (videos) to watch and share, to see if anyone had suggestions. 

Next I tied her in the barn and felt all four of her legs and feet.  Nothing seemed unusual.



Then I cleaned under the pads of Amiga's front feet because she has gotten some little rocks (gravel) caught in there, which may hurt her.  You can see the rubber pad going across her frog at the back of her heel.  It also traps manure and has caused the start of thrush, which I have been treating every time I am out at the ranch.
I gave Amiga a Previcox, put her grazing muzzle and fly mask back on, and put her in the paddock.  She gaited all the way out to the front pasture to join back up with the boys.  She must not be too sore????


When I got home, I grabbed a cup of green tea and started working on the jigsaw puzzle.  A few more little storms rolled through.   I got this far before getting too sleepy to continue. 




Waking from a nap on the couch, Mama Styx climbed right up on my chest. 




No sooner did Styx get down, then Stevie got on my lap.  Monita was also beside me on the couch while Babe monitored us all from the floor.  

It was feeding time and the natives were restless.  Dog, cats, and myself all got dinner.  And I was able to walk Maggie around the block between rain showers.


Wednesday 6/5 - The day had rain showers off and on until late afternoon.  I spent extra time at my computer doing more horse shopping.  Patty sent this (video) of the horses going out on the front pasture so I could see how Amiga was moving. 








I was at the gym for three hours, which included a full weight workout and a little extra because my body builder friend (Elaine) showed me a few exercises to better target my obliques and gluteals.  After I showered at the gym, I went to Food City.


Unloading groceries and putting away the perishables, I then scrambled to the ranch because I was late for evening chores.  Three of the horses were in the shed.  I gave Amiga a Previcox and fed all three.  I kept calling for Banner, but he was enjoying pasture grass.  I finally had to go out to get him to come in.

I was then late getting home for feeding time for Maggie and the cats.  Joe got home from truck shopping just as I was finishing up feeding the masses.  He had brought home a carry out dinner and let me have the salad.

We watched two episodes of Suits.

Thursday 6/6 - D-Day, a sobering day in history, eighty years ago.  I had not slept great... too much on my mind
(horse shopping and a couple of trucks Joe was trying to decide whether or not to buy).  I really felt like I needed a nap after breakfast, but I had to get to work at the pool. 










Well, Joe decided to buy this 2001 Chevrolet Z71 truck, with just over 300,000 miles on it.  I pray its transmission holds up for another 50,000 miles.


I had planned to go straight to the ranch right after work, but because Joe was busy truck buying, golfing, and then poker, I had to get home to walk the dog.  I figured I would skip the ranch and work in the yard the rest of the afternoon.  

Well, I sat down for a short rest out of the sun, and worked on the jigsaw puzzle.  And then I needed a quick nap.  So much for yard work plans.  I did finally get out in the yard just after 4pm and worked for 90 minutes.  But I hardly made a dent in the sticks and leaves that need raking up. 


Friday 6/7 - I got out of bed still feeling sore from Wednesday's tough workout.  I was feeling my age but reminded myself, I am a fortunate one, able to grow old, even though it has it's struggles.  If you're blessed with the gift of long life, you must also accept all its wrappings... one of which is loss: of friends, of family, and of capacity. 


I wondered if this hawk was hunting the squirrel, or smaller chipmunks that scurry around down back.



I had a little extra morning time at my computer, for horse shopping and puzzle working before 10:00, when I left to go to the library building.  Several I knew were there for the Wildwood Stable committee meeting.  I picked up some good information, heard some interesting arguments, and was happy with the direction things were moving.

I went straight to the gym still feeling sore, and wondering if I should rest another day.  I talked with one of the trainers and she said when you have muscle soreness, worked them.  If there is pain from injury, rest them.  So I pushed through and actually had a fairly decent workout. 






I had to rush home, change, make a to go lunch, and head off with Joe to pick up his new truck.  He drove and I ate.  Once he was at his destination, I continued on to Walmart to do some shopping.  From there, I went straight to the ranch. 



While working in the yard, Joe arrived (after he had registered the truck and gotten a new license plate).  He picked up the little trailer and headed back out to buy shavings. 







Once down at the barn, I did a few little chores, including weed whacking.  The fully charged battery only lasts about 7 to 9 minutes, a frustration and something that needs to be fixed.  While chitchating with Susan and Brooke, Joe pulled in. 

We were soon unloading the shavings into the shed. 









We had kept Amiga and Banner in their stalls, and put hay out under the shade of the pine tree, but still had an additional project supervisor. 


Cowboy really wanted to come into the shed where it is cool and there are no flies because we have automatic fly sprayers which Susan maintains. 


Joe and I worked well together, something that isn't always the case, but this job was straight forward and needed no engineering or thought.

Joe returned the trailer and truck to the shop and I put Amiga and Banner back in the pasture.  Joe rode home with me and we fixed dinner together.  We watched the last episode of season 8 of Suits and the first episode of season 9.  It's coming to an end, since this is the last season of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment