Friday, June 14, 2024

Perception

Perception serves as the lens through which we perceive and make sense of the world. It is influenced by our individual experiences, beliefs, cultural backgrounds, and personal biases.  As human beings, we construct our own reality based on the information available to us and the filters through which we process that information.  However, these filters are not infallible, and our perception can be flawed or distorted, leading to misinterpretations and misunderstandings.  LinkedIn
Wrong perceptions can lead to wrong emotions and actions. 

It is important to not just look at things from one perspective. 

Perception is a fundamental aspect of human cognition that shapes our emotions, actions, and the direction of our lives. 

Wrong perceptions can lead to misguided emotions and actions, affecting personal relationships, professional endeavors, and overall well-being. By recognizing the potential for distorted perceptions and actively working to address them, we can cultivate a more accurate understanding of the world and make informed decisions that lead to positive outcomes.  LinkedIn

It is through a continuous process of self-reflection, seeking diverse perspectives, and practicing empathy that we can mitigate the impact of wrong perceptions and ensure that our emotions, actions, and direction align with reality. Ultimately, by acknowledging the power of perception and taking proactive steps to correct distorted perceptions, we can foster healthier relationships, make wiser decisions, and lead more fulfilling lives.  LinkIn

Recognizing and addressing skewed perceptions is essential for personal growth.  To help address wrong perceptions:
Seek feedback from trusted sources to gain insight into how your perceptions may be affecting your emotions and actions. Engage in regular self-reflection to identify and address any distorted perceptions.  LinkIn


Saturday 6/8 - I prepared for a day away, packing a lunch, plenty of water, notepad, and directions.  First I went to the ranch to do chores.  This bunny in the yard reminded me of this popular image that demonstrates a visual illusion with varying perceptions. 


duck or rabbit?

Down at the barn, Wanda was playing with a fly mask I had set down while getting all the horses in them, along with grazing muzzles on our Pasos. 

I had thrown hay, mucked the shed and paddock, and then opened the gate for the horses to go out. 






I made the 80 minute drive to Timber Ridge Horse Campground with only one stop to check my map.  There were very few horses in camp because the ETS obstacle challenge was already underway.   



Patty, who was judging the last obstacle (#6), was already out on the course.  So I got a ride in a side-by-side out to where she was.

It was a long (nearly two hour wait) before the first competitors (out of 41 entries) got to this point.  They had to cover seven miles and five obstacles before arriving here. 


I watched three groups (12 horses total) give their try at the obstacle, which was very challenging.  Except when the board was dropped by the 11th competitor, it broke in half. 


 




So I helped with a temporary patch job, until the fellow you see taping a stick splint to hold the two ends together, went to get drill and screws to fix it better.  At this point, it was nearing 1:00 so I got a lift back to the campground.


After I ate my lunch, I walked around the campground chatting with folks that were already in (done with the eight mile, six obstacle competition).  I think this tent over the truck bed, with the tail gate as the entry way and table, is an ingenious set up. 







I eventually spoke with three people owning Rocky Mountain horses, and saw two of this breed up close.  I am really drawn to them, and am swaying this way for my next (and probably last) horse. 





I had been waiting for Garrett to contact me with the exact time and location at East Fork for me to meet him to ride Chester out on the trails.  Finally, I just decided to go there (it was right on my way home) and see if I could find Garrett. 




I checked in at the office, and at first they couldn't find Garrett in their system.  But he turned up under his wife's name and number.  Since they had an annual pass, and can come and go at liberty, the lady at the desk could not say if he was at the campground today or not.  I tried a third time to contact him. 







While waiting and hoping for a reply from Garrett, I walked around the day parking section of the campground.  There were lots of white trucks but I couldn't remember exactly what his trailer looked like.  I never found (or heard from) Garrett, but it was fun watching all the people out 'horsing around.' 


I eventually gave up, and went straight to the ranch to do chores for Patty, who will be covering mine in a few days.  Joe was up at the shop, moving things around, getting ready for this year's hay to go in there.  Zorro was milling around at the shed, waiting for dinner time.

Joe and I watched two episodes of Suits and then I struggled to get to sleep, thinking about horse shopping and speculating about why Garrett never contacted me.  I wondered if there was an explanation, or if he decided not to bother with me, since I had been up-front with him about not being 'sold' on Chester and wanting to try him out on the trail.  I had even offered to pay for his time and trouble.  But I did also tell him to sell Chester if he found another buyer, not to hold him for me.  Whatever Garrett's reason, it seemed inconsiderate of him to not even answer my text messages.

Sunday 6/9 - Before meeting Shirley at church, I worked on this blog post, but was struggling with formulating words to my thoughts about how we perceive things.  Our perception can be distorted, leading to misunderstandings and hurt feelings because of misinterpretations.  For example, when you receive a text message or email, your perception of the tone and what is meant by what is written impacts how you feel about it and then how you respond.  And then I found a LinkedIn article that expanded on what I had in mind, so I quoted some thoughts from it.

After church I put in two hours of online horse shopping, trying to come up with a way to organize and plan for a road trip to go look at some possibilities.  Since I have kind of narrowed down my focus to a Rocky Mountain or Fox Trotter, the selection is much more limited.  It seems there are a ton of Tennessee Walking horse out there... go figure.  After a while of looking at so many ads, I have to say, I feel I need to read a book on horse buying for dummies.  Horse flippers or traders often lie and say what buyers want to hear; but horse sellers get frustrated by buyers who really aren't serious, and are just 'window' shopping.  Also, buyers misrepresent their skill level, usually thinking they have a higher level and can buy a horse suited for a more advanced rider... then they end up mad at the seller that sold them a horse they couldn't 'handle.'  Things like how dead-broke a horse is or how good a rider is, lie on a spectrum and rely heavily on a person’s experience & perception.


Mama doe and her fawn down in the creek.

I worked at the pool from 1:30 to 6:15, then
along with my daily chores, I did my usual Sunday weekly chores, including watering plants and taking out trash.  Patty sent this (video) of the horses coming in for dinner.

As often is the case,
I was sound asleep by the time Poker Joe got home.



Monday 6/10 - I worked at the pool (Mike's shift because he was subbing for me Tuesday).  I squeezed in a short workout at the gym, and then I danced for most of Mirror Lake Blast.  Soul Fish (the band) did a great job and the lawn was packed, even Shirley and Patty attended. 


I love this photo a friend shared, that shows me having fun with Micki and Sherri.  We girls do know how to have a good time. 


This second photo was from the internet.


Tuesday 6/11 - Colonoscopy prep day = liquids only and drinking some nasty stuff.  My morning tea was not near as enjoyable as when it is accompanied by toast and then cookies. 

I wanted to get some exercise so the day wouldn't be a total loss, so before I drank the Magnesium Citrate, I walked 45 minutes with Maggie while wearing my weighted vest.
 


Can you see what we saw?  Maggie alerted me to this cute, young, tiny skunk while we were on the trail. 









It went it's way and we went ours.

Once home I started the worst part of the prep, drinking the first 10oz bottle of Mg Citrate.  I
gagged as I was finishing the last gulp. 




I laid on a lounge chair out in the sun and read.  I kept drinking lots of water but couldn't get rid of the sickening taste and queasy feeling.  And then the frequent trips to the restroom began. 

I moved onto the porch, sitting on the swing and reading.  The dog and cats joined me, all of us enjoying the sun. 

 
Stevie

When it was time for the second bottle of Mg Citrate, I was really dreading the thought of trying to drink it. 
I ended up not being able to get the whole thing down.  I kept gagging, so dumped out the last two ounces.  I think my perception of how bad it is to drink it may have made it worse, but in reality, it is awful stuff.


Styx and Monita on the swing with me.

If an up set stomach, abdominal cramps, and frequent, hurried trips to the bathroom weren't bad enough; I then started
having leg cramps.  When I was squatting and doing some household chores, various leg muscles would completely lock up.  It also happened getting out of bed about every hour all night.  I think my electrolytes were screwed up.


Wednesday 6/12 - Boy was I glad to get the colonoscopy over with.  The procedure itself was a breeze compared to the prep, although I'm not real excited about the results.  I’m gonna need to have a follow up procedure, I don't know the specifics yet, but I sure was hoping to be done with all this for another five or ten years.
Joe took me to and from the medical center, and I took a nap when I got home.

Because of the anesthesia, I was not allowed to drive for 24 hours after the procedure, so Patty picked me up to take me to the ranch to do chores since Joe had gone to Nashville to attend a James Taylor concert with Courtney.  She periodically gets corporate suite seats to events at Bridgestone Arena, from her company.

Patty came into the house when dropping me off and Shirley came over with Subway sandwiches.  It was nice to have company for dinner.  The girls then went across the street to a Civil War event held at the church. 
And I hit the hay early, needing to catch up on sleep.


Thursday 6/13 - I was up at 2am, with too much on my mind.  Rose joined Maggie and I on our 4am walk.











I love that this semi-feral cat has gotten so comfortable with Maggie and I. 

I put in a five hour shift at the pool.  It had gotten up to the mid 80's so we were pretty busy.


Rose napping out on the back deck when I got home.

I drug myself to the gym, but picked up 'steam' as I worked out, and left 2½ hours later, feeling much more invigorated. 






After a hearty, healthy dinner (and pet chores) I put on my pjs and went out on the back deck to read.  Rose soon joined me. 



 


 







I did not last long, getting too sleepy.
I was in bed with the lights out right at 8pm.


Friday 6/14 - I was up from 1-5am and then slept two more hours.  I had gotten seven total, but it didn't feel like it. 










There were two fawn with this doe, enjoying the creek before heading up the hill.

This Chewy box came with horse supplement not cat supplies, but the cats were happy with the box regardless of what was shipped.

I struggled to get going, and drug
all day long, through the few tasks I did do. 







I did get three loads of laundry done, and took care of several clerical and administrative tasks at my desk, worked on the jigsaw puzzle, and took a long nap while waiting on laundry to dry before folding. 






I had planned to work in the back yard and did finally get out there, but I was moving slowly.  After raking up and lugging away four loads (king size sheet each) of sticks, leaves, and a few weeds, I got most of just this one bed cleared out. 







There was just one spot left to clear of debris, but I was out of time (and energy).





The dark areas you see is where the leaves were particularly deep and still moist underneath. 







Karen and I went for a lovely ride, with she on Zorro.  It was still quite warm out at 5pm, but we stayed in the woods and the shade of the tree lined roads.  
Zorro was a perfect gentleman and Amiga held up well, but acted a bit sore by the time we got back.  Karen and I worked together on hoof care on both horses, which makes the job easier.  



Returning the Pasos, we left with all four horses happily eating hay.

Joe and I watched two episodes of Suits before I went to bed, thinking about what lies ahead for me.
Perception is everything.  We choose our perception of life around us.  Regardless of what actually happens in life, how we perceive things becomes our reality.  I hope to maintain a clear, positive outlook as I face struggles with horses and my aging process.

No comments:

Post a Comment