Friday, June 21, 2024

Light Hearted

Light hearted - cheerful and happy; free from care, anxiety, or seriousness; happy-go-lucky. 'A cheerful disposition is good for your health; gloom and doom leave you bone-tired.'  Proverbs 17:22


With our country's politics; world hunger, suffering, and wars; animal cruelty; human and natural disasters; house problems; worries about family; health issues; etc...   it can be a challenge to be carefree and light hearted.  However, we all need to have fun, enjoy life, and be cheerful.  This can be accomplished through counting your blessings, being positive, and taking time for play.  Experts tell us that play provides a huge benefit to our mental health, releasing lots of feel-good neurotransmitters.  We need to play more often and not take ourselves so seriously.  Animals are great at playing.  And like them, we are 
wired to seek these little lifts.  It also explains why we delight in watching cute and funny cat, dog and horse videos.

Saturday 6/15 - I woke at 5 AM after eight full, uninterrupted hours of sleep.  I felt ready to face the day.  For some reason this squirrel was yelling at me when I took corn down back. 


Then I noticed Rose kind of hidden behind a tree.








I didn't get to the ranch as early as usual for morning chores. 





Cowboy watched me in the shop, getting hay ready to take out to the four of them at 8am.

After an hour of doing this and that, I brought Amiga into the barn and let the boys out on the pasture.  She was all wet from splashing in the pond. 






After getting her brushed and dried off a bit, I took her for a little ride around the fields, barn yard and shop, and in the woods out back. 




She was off a little so we only walked and I didn't ride long.  I just love how willing she is for me and she didn't even hesitate walking across this tarp (video).

This buck was in the front yard when I pulled into the garage.  I had arrived home hot, sweaty, and kind of tired, but still made myself get to the gym since I had only made it there once during the past week. 


I started out slow, but picked up momentum, and ended up having a great workout.  Then I had to scurry to shower, buy gas and some groceries, drop food off at the house and pick up the dog, and get to the ranch in time for the 5:00 start of Joe's party. 









It was time for some fun and games, food and drink, conversation and laughter.  Patty was the grill chief and Karen the bartender/hostess. 

After Kevin (Joe's poker buddy and our construction worker) had had a few burgers, brats and beer, he actually fell asleep on the hammock. 














I later went down to open the gate so the horses could go on the front pasture for awhile, and our guests could seem them up close if wanted.

Patty assisted with horse meet and greet.













Zorro and Amiga both got to be out without their grazing muzzles on, and they were going hog wild with grass consumption.

Getting the horses to come back into the paddock, off the grass was a bit problematic.  But with Patty and I working together, we got it done.

It was still very hot out at dusk, so no bonfire was lit.  And the ranch house air conditioner had quit working (add to the fix-it list) so it was actually cooler outside with the slight breeze. 



Sunday 6/16 - Sunday I woke from a good night of sleep (because I'd taken a sleep aid)  I got this blog started and then met Shirley at church. 

I packed up for work and then went to the ranch for 90 minutes first.









I collected trash and recycle, gave Amiga a Previcox, and took Zorro's grazing muzzle off.  We’re going to start giving him more green grass to eat because we noticed his weight is down a little so we don’t need to worry about getting him to lose weight anymore.

As I went to care for these two, I noticed a 'wardrobe malfunction' on Amiga.  Can you see the problem with her fly mask?  It is off one ear.  This photo also gives you a good view of her grazing muzzle. 










I love how bonded these two are, but are okay with being separated (without going bonkers) during feeding time, rides, and other horsing around activities.

My sift started out really hot and I mostly stayed in the office because the heat was just more than I could handle.  But I only worked four hours because a huge thunder/wind/rain storm sent everybody home, even the several who tried to ride it out.


Patty got stuck at the ranch in the storm and sent these (videos).  The storm did cool things off and since everyone cleared out by 4:45, it gave me a chance to do some extra cleaning before clocking out.  When I got home, I had some extra time to do my Sunday evening chores.

Poker Joe was home earlier than usual, not having a successful night at the table. 


Monday 6/17 - I was at the ranch from 8-1:00 doing a little bit of this and that.  I did quite a bit of weed whacking and weed pulling, fed the catfish, and did some organizing and cleaning.  I took Zorro‘s grazing muzzle off just before I left. 







My next order of business was the gym.  I started out feeling kind of tired, but the air conditioned coolness helped me and I pepped up.  I don’t get it, but exercising pumps me up.  I took a speedy shower at the gym, and came home and had a quick salad for dinner. 




Babe - I've probably mentioned this at least once before, but I love how cats tuck their little paws underneath them.

After the critters all got fed, I head over to Mirror Lake Blast, two miles away. 








The band, Double Shotz, was fantastic.  All us dancing ladies really enjoyed it and I did a lot of dancing.  They played until 8:45 so it was after bedtime when I got home.

Tuesday 6/18 - Mama and two fawn becoming regulars down back.

I couldn't linger here at my computer because I had to pick Joe up at A-One Auto (where he dropped his car off) and bring him home before I went to work. 








Even though it was overcast, it was hot outside.  Patty and Joe both took advantage of the pool so I had Patty take a photo of me working hard (hardly working).  In reality, I stay pretty busy here at the pool, especially on hot days when we have a large crowd.  The masses didn't start arriving until just after noon. 




I went straight to the ranch when I got off work at 2:00.  Walking up through the front pasture to get Amiga, I snapped these photos of our three (Amigos, Musketeers, Stooges, Caballos).





I groomed Amiga, did hoof and wound care, cleaned her udder area where dirt collects, did bug and fly control, and gave her a Previcox.  Susan and Dave arrived to do evening chores just before I headed up to water plants around the house.

Joe got home early (7:30) from poker and we watched two episodes of Suits.

Wednesday 6/19 - My usual family of three visitors were accompanied by an additional doe. 












It was farrier day, but since Patty had morning chores, she got the horses in the barn, allowing me a little extra time before needing to get to the ranch. 


When I arrived, Cowboy was finished and Zorro was being trimmed.  Andy (Chris' apprentice) working on Zorro in this photo.

Last it was Amiga's turn.  Chris and I had talked in length as to what to do for her, since she had still been lame most of the past five weeks. 








Chris measured Amiga's angles before the shoes came off and after the trim, and made the necessary adjustments. 


We did not continue use of the pad (which was a real pain to try to keep clean under).  This will lower the angle some (which may have been a bit too much for Amiga).  Chris also took off the back part of the shoe to help give Amiga a quicker 'breakover' in front.  He explained all the physics and what to look for when trimming (which was a bit over my head) but helped me feel much more confident in his workmanship. 








Once everyone (Chris, Susan, and Patty) 'cleared out,' Wanda and Maggie had some quiet time in the barn. 






I started in on work, watering all the fruit trees while also picking up sticks and weeding around the house. 





I spotted Mr. (big) black snack when dumping weeds behind the dam and again when weed whacking back there.  I have also been slowly removing the yellow flowering weeds from the paddock by pulling them... a long slow process, but I am making progress.

I had lunch up at the house and Patty and I went through the shopping list for Friday's Open House.

Two of my seven 'rescues.'  I love these two 'clowns!'  They make me feel light hearted just watching them together. 












I did more cleaning and organizing in the shop and once Joe arrived, had him help me move some heavy things.
 


Then we took to the task of trimming the tree line along the drive entrance.  This is the only photo I got because I had to scramble to keep up with Joe.  He had a long handle chain saw that could reach high up.  We ended up removing two large trailer loads of branches,taking them down to the round pen area and dragging them into the woods. 




These are the black berries (not ripe yet) that are on the other side of the barbwire fence all along our driveway.  
I got back home at 7pm, ten hours from when I had left for the ranch.  I was fairly exhausted, but felt good about the day's work accomplished.  Joe and I only had time for one episode of Suits by the time I had showered, ate, and did evening home chores.
 


Thursday 6/20 - Happy summer solstice.  Today was the longest day of the year.

Rose greets Maggie and I every morning and usually joins us on our walk.  Then she gets fed.

My gladiolas are blooming and the Deer-off has prevented them from getting eaten. 




I worked five hours at the pool.  Then worked-out and showered at the gym (2½ hours), followed by a trip to Food City on the way home.  Now that the pool is open and I work three days a week, there is less time for fun, and I have a little more stress. 

I played catch-up on household jobs and started a load of laundry.  I crashed into bed before 9pm bedtime.
 


Friday 6/21 - I love Monita's little paw covering her eyes as she napped.  I did my party supply and food run to Walmart and was home by 8am.  I made my five bean crock-pot dish for the pot-luck and had everything loaded into my car. 









Once at the ranch (at 11:00) I started getting everything set up for the party.  Joe and Patty had already done quite a bit.  Balloons put on the street sign so folks wouldn't miss it. 


And a sign pointing the way down our drive, which Patty later added balloons to because I can't blow them up.

Our invite was for the Open House from 3 to 6, immediately followed by the bonfire/potluck. 








It was a beautiful day, although a bit too warm. 





A few people 'trickled' in and out the first 90 minutes.  But then the 'party' crowd arrived, with the last staying until about 8pm. 










We shuttled some people in the Gater and golf cart too and from the barn.  And Joe took eight of us out in the hay rack. 


Margie shared some photos she took.  In this second one, I have no idea what I was doing.  But for sure, I was enjoying myself. 







I counted just over 30 people who attended, actual quite a few less than I had expected. 








We had quite a spread of food, and way more deserts than necessary. 


Everyone had a great time and all were very impressed with our little piece of paradise. 









Susan helped Patty, Joe, and I with clean up.




I
was the last to lock-up and head out. 
The moon was rising and it was a pretty night.

I was exhausted, but a tad wound up when I got home so had to read for awhile before succumbing to sleep. 

We can all be in control of how much fun we have,
living our best life.

No comments:

Post a Comment